“Good Meal”

Price range: US$4 - US$33
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stare Miasto
Description: "Jama Michalika" (eng. Michalik's Den) - Most famous Art Café, Traditional Polish Restaurant and Cabaret Museum "Zielony Balonik" (eng. Green Ballon) in Poland. Very well known for almost one hundred years. Here most outstanding artists have met, here the cabaret "Zielony Balonik" began to exist and here the spirit of "Mloda Polska" (eng. Polish Modernism) - was born. In “Jama Michalika“ we offer you marvelous: CAKES, LAYER CAKES, TARTS - including "Wawel" cake, "Michalik" or "Barbakan", we also recommend "Kremowki" and cheese cakes. Gorgeous ICE CREAMS of many flavors are prepared (on the base of traditional recipe) by our confectioner. We would like you encourage you to try our alcohol drinks, cocktails and traditional Polish alcohol beverages made on the base of honey. We highly recommend traditional Polish food: Breakfasts, Lunch, Dinner. It is possible to book: performances for organized groups cabarets performances, recitals, satirical performances, Folk Show, banquets, meetings suitable for the occasion.( prices may be negotiated )
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I visited this restaurant twice during my visit to Krakow. I was travelling alone and found the young male member of staff very helpful. When I asked for something Polish he made suggestions which I found to be very acceptable. The atmosphere was good and the service was prompt. The food was very tasty and a very reasonable price too.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

A Krakow landmark, filled with history, great culinary options of traditional Polish dishes (the blood pudding is the best in the city), all reasonably priced! In a simple summary - there are hardly words to describe the fantastic experience!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

This is a restaurant you have to see. It is like dining in a museum with lots of old stuff and furniture The food is however not old, it is surprisingly good!
Friendly and rapid service (if we forget the coat storing lady at the entrance. Her lack of service reminds about the good old communistic times).
This is a place I go to every time I visit Krakow because you don't find so many of this kind in the world!

Reviewed 10 January 2014

Have not been here for 25 years and went back to rekindle some memories. The interior is still amazing and should not be missed. Unfortunately the cakes and desserts also seem not to have changed in a quarter of a century, which believe me is not a good thing, but now you are paying modern prices! The building deserves better. Go and see the interior but if I were you I would just have a cup of tea.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My wife and I really enjoyed the experience of Jama Michalika. The café has been around a long time and it shows - but in a really pleasant and interesting way.

We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the portions are generous to say the least. I had the black pudding which was delicious and very different from the way we have black pudding in England. My wife had a greek salad which was exactly what it says on the tin. Service was good too and the bill came in at a very reasonable price.

1  Thank Steve R