“very good and surprisingly empty”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ancora - CLOSED

Ancora
Price range: US$5 - US$19
Cuisines: European, Central European, Polish, Asian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,125 helpful votes
“very good and surprisingly empty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

we have eaten here several times. Tohight the beetroot soup and the tender venison excelled. The blue cheese and chocolate souffle had perhaps not quite the edge as on previous visits but still enjoyable. the white wine from Slovakia was Austrian in style. Very attentive service. They saiss they will be closed in January for refurbishment

1 Thank alanreynolds

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stirling, United Kingdom
“Superb food and great wine list.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2012

If there are really 23 restaurants better than the Ancora in Krakow then we're going to have to return and stay for a month! However there certainly are not and this is where Trip-advisor is going to have to rethink how restaurants are categorised. There is no space for me to allocate a price category to any given restaurant so I'm not quite sure how they come by a price rating - I notice for example that Krakow's supposed number 1 restaurant's most recent critique praises the fact that a three course meal with drinks can be had for £16.00 - or roughly what I would expect to pay for a main course. I've not been there so I'm not knocking the place - it's just that there does not appear to be a level playing field.
However having had that rant, to return to the Ancora, can I say that we chose to eat a la carte and could not fault a single dish. Everything was beautifully cooked and temptingly presented. The staff were first class even if they did spirit my wine bottle away (I like being in charge of my own top up rate) and our only criticism was that the ambiance could have been improved with some tasteful artwork to soften the otherwise rather bare walls. The wine list was extensive and of course as pricey as one comes to expect in Krakow but there were quite a few reasonably priced gems - the Argentinian Malbec being a case in point.

1 Thank FlyingScotsman92
Amherst, New Hampshire
“Most Memorable Meal in Krakow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2012

This was by far our best meal in nine nights in Krakow (caution: it was also our most expensive). From the elegance of the decor (very spare, very hip) to the squadron of meticulous servers; to the varied wine list; to the seven-course tasting menu, all crafted with freshest local ingredients, this is the dining experience our family will be comparing to our favorite meals over the years. Every course was inventively prepared and delicious: an amuse bouche of foie gras on top of apricot; foie gras of monkfish on a delicious bread with a brush of aoli; a superb pumpkin soup with topped with pumkin seeds, pumpkin oil and crunchy beet sprouts; a truly extraordinary "parfait" with goose confit on top of a poached egg, mushrooms and potato puree (we were instructed by the chef to mix it before savoring); the intermezzo was a raspberry sorbet in a martini glass with pro seco and crushed mint; followed by a sous vide duck breast wrapped in spinach with zucchini rolls several inventive purees topped by roasted buckwheat; a goat cheese course served with honey and juniper berries; and concluding with a honey purse made of phylo pastry filled with blueberries and peach mousse. A dazzling meal!

• Visited November 2012
4 Thank hamlet8
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Overrated. Better places to go in Krakow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2012 via mobile

My friends & I had very much been looking forward to visiting this restaurant, particularly given some of the reviews. However it turned out to be a big disappointment.
Reasons for this: the restaurant was very cold (wrap up warm if you are seated downstairs), none of the serving staff could explain properly the questions we had about the menu, we were told we were too late to have the tasting menu ( our reservation was for 8.30pm?), main courses were cold, waiting staff were not that attentive, for what it cost I know we could have had a better meal.
On the positive: dessert was lovely, intermezzo - raspberry sorbet with coffee liquor & mint was fabulous & they have a good wine list.
I am glad I tried it but won't be back.

Izmir, Turkey
“Perfect Service and Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

The shrimp was very delicious, and the red vine I enjoyed. The service was first class. The location of the restaurant is very central, around the market place.

Visited November 2012