“New chef but unchanged excellent dishes”
Review of Ancora - CLOSED

Ancora
Price range: US$5 - US$21
Cuisines: European, Polish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

This and La Fontaine are our favorite restaurants in Krakow. Since our last visit here before Christmas, there has been a change of chef. But ownership is the same as is the lady maitre d'. Very nice place for a dinner out a bit special. I thought my duck was excellent and we shared the chocolate souffle. Not quite to die for as in past, but enough blue cheese to give it zip!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We decided to give it a go following quite positive reviews on Polish Trip Advisor equivalent, unfortunately we have not checked menu beforehand. The restaurant looks modern, elegant, the staff is friendly. That's on the positive side. Now the food.
I visited the place with my husband, our 20 month old toddler and my brother. The menu is not child friendly at all, following the recommendation of the waitress, we ordered cauliflower soup which seemed the only option, but it was too spicy which I did not realise unfortunately straight away. I had cold kohlrabi soup, which wouldn't be bad if it wasn't served in the temperature of ice cream, which is far too cold for this type of soup. Also it is served with prawn salad, but as i don't like sea food, I asked to serve it without. The waitress did not offer anything in exchange, and I was charged full price anyway. My husband and brother shared Polish tapas platter, which was ok, but too expensive for the content. The seconds were not bad, I had a fish which was good, the boys had beef fillet (too raw for 'medium') and beef entrecôte, which weren't too bad either. We only took soft drinks and 2 jack daniels, no desserts, and the bill arrived to £70. It is a lot for Poland, which we don't mind paying that but for good quality food. This certainly did not deserve paying such price.
In overall we weren't impressed at all, wouldn't recommend the place (especially for families with children) and definitely wouldn't go back.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a genuine, fine dining experience here. The chef is creative, relevant and has his own voice. We took the five course tasting menu at 165 zlotys a head, which included -
* An amuse bouche of dark bread, topped with some kind of fish and mushroom
* Smoky veal tartare topped with a beautifully cooked quail egg and served with pumpkin purée and prune jam
*Foamy rhubarb soup with a cigar of puff pastry topped with a creamy salami, corn and mango
*Raspberry sorbet with tequila
*Beef tenderloin, sous-vide, with lentils, carrot, asparagus and white pepper sauce
*Coconut ice cream, coated in dark chocolate with crushed nut sand and raspberry sauce
The soup and the beef tenderloin were particularly good. I often judge a restaurant on the bread they serve and here it was was very good, served with white crumbly butter. The seeded bread was particularly good, with a nutty, slightly sweet flavour. The dining room is lovely and modern, with wooden floors, wooden beams, exposed brick, white walls and white tablecloths. The food was served at a leisurely pace. We each had a glass of prosecco to start, a bottle of New Zealand pinot and plenty of sparkling water. The bill came to 560 zlotys for 2 and would have been 50 - 100% more in London.

1  Thank David G
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had a special bit of cod for my main dinner entree that was perhaps the best cod I've ever enjoyed ( and I'm normally not a fish lover). Served with fresh vegetables it was a nice light dinner. The light dinner allowed me to indulge in the dessert... A lovely chocolate "pudding", that was more like a soufflé, paired with raspberry sorbet it was wonderful.

1  Thank ProfCoop
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Me and my wife stepped there looking for some lunch. The restaurant was a bit empty but we didn’t bother. It made the atmosphere more cosy and relaxed. We got our food very quick. My wife had an amazing halibut fillet and I had a ribeye steak. The food was fantastic! Waiters weren’t busy so we had a little chat. We finished our meal with a delicious rosemary crème brulee. Definatly will come back!

1  Thank Carlos P