“Great stay, felt safe and at home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Columbus

Hotel Columbus
Ranked #9 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
Skegness
“Great stay, felt safe and at home.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed at Columbus 6 to 9 November with my wife. I can only echo the theme of previous posititve reviews. The location is spot on being half way between Old Town and Podgorze area for Schindler etc. Wawalem Hill also very close. The Hotel has an olde feel to it but has all mod cons.The room wasfine and clean to a high standard. Mini bar and free safe a bonus. Only 2 English channels on TV ie CNN News and BBC World news. Could do with an English entertainment channel to be perfect. As stated before breakfast was served in a spotless room with ample seating and was of a high standard.

There is a small supermarket across the road from the hotel where you can buy drinks snacks etc very cheaply. Turn left o/s hotel and a few yards up road on left is a great bakers with cakes, filled rolls etc really cheap.

For a good ,cheap meal turn right o/s hotel and right at 1st jn, then 1st on left is a road calledSzeroka which leads to a small square.. As you enter this square on your left is a small hotel containg a restauranr called Klezmer Hois which was very good and cheap. Further into the square on right is one called Szara Kazimiriez, also very good. There is a nice small pub whose name escapes me a couple of doors from it. If you turn right off the sauare you will come to Plac Nowy, a large square with numerous bars and eateries.

Alarge glas of beer cost about 8 zloty( £1.60) and an expensive main course about £12, although they start at about £5.

When I exchanged money in UK I got 4.9 to pund. I noticed in the Kantors(exchanges) around the main square they were quoting 5.23 commission free so you may be better changing bulk of money in Krakow.

Finally Ididnt fancy using public transport from airport or for my trip to auschwitz, so I booked on line with an ex pat who runs a tour and transfer service in Krakow. I picked his brains on line and he was very helpful replying promptly. The service provided was punctual, efficient and I enjoyed my tour which he accompanied and proved to be an affable and knowledgable guide. I would recommend him. ( phil.clark@krakowtours.co.uk ).

Hope you find these tips helpful. Krakow is a very interesting, entertaining and friendly City where you wont spend a fortune. Have a good trip..

Room Tip: We were at back so it was very quiet. Ive seen comments about trams at front but I must say when we...
2 Thank SkegnessBiggerry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
warrington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012

The hotel is located in the Jewish quarter and only 10 mins walk from the main town square so the location is quite ideal. We had a double room, with balcony at the back of the hotel which was of decent size with modern bathroom. Small wardrobe with safe and the room had a mini bar (payable) with two complimentary bottles of water. Breakfast was more than adequate, with cereal, meats & cheeses, cakes and bacon & sausage. They allowed us to go into breakfast early on the day we visited Auschwitz as we had an early pick up.
Staff at the hotel were all very friendly and helpful and were happy to give directions and advise on where to change money and where to eat.
We arrived at 11am and were allowed into our room as it was ready. They stored our cases on check out as we had a few hours to pick up and once the mini bus came they took our luggage out for us.
If I return to Krakow I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back as the trams run outside the hotel.
1 Thank dawn43
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2012

We've just had the pleasure of spending three nights at the Hotel Columbus and felt compelled to write a review to let everyone know what a great little hotel this is.
It is in fantastic location, right opposite the tram stop so if you're using public transport to get in from the airport ( as we did) then it couldn't be handier. It is right in the heart of the Jewish Quarter and a ten minute walk away from the main square.
On our first night we were put into a room beside the lift which became a little noisy- it took just one comment to a staff member and we were moved to another room within ten minutes. Also, I had my birthday while I was there and the receptionist must have looked at my DOB on the form I signed and saw it because I was greeted with a birthday card and box of chocolates from the staff- you wouldn't get little touches like that in other establishments!
The rooms were very clean and pleasant. The toiletries left in the bathrooms were of a much higher quality than most hotels, another pleasant surprise.
The staff were incredibly helpful with regards to directions to local landmarks, giving us bus routes and ordering taxis etc. They had a very personal approach and showed a genuine interest in what we'd been up to and what we thought of Krakow.
The breakfasts were delicious; a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurts, cheeses ( not just the usual selection but quite a vast assortment), cold meats, fruit juices, scrambled/fried eggs, bacon and sausages. There was also the option of cake with your coffee.
We also had a small safe in our room, something that we were impressed with and used to keep out passports etc in.
We intend to visit Krakow again and will be staying at the Hotel Columbus again. For a relatively small, three star hotel, we were given five star service.
Thank you everyone!

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the lift and the front of the building as it is on a main road.
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2012

The Columbus hotel provided excellent service and the staff was terrific! I was visiting Krakow and Poland for the first time and looking for my grandfather's birth place. He left Poland over a 100 years ago and all I had was grandpa's census document from around 1900. By reviewing this document Anna at the front desk located my grandfather's birthplace which was a village next to the city of Kolo. My wife and I later visited this village and had a wonderful experience. So I cannot say enough about the staff there. All were very friendly and enjoyed discussing world events and answering my many questions. The morning breakfast was very good with great breads, coffee, and a variety of foods. If we ever get back to Krakow, we will certainly be staying at Hotel Columbus.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2012

We spent 6 nights at the Columbus Hotel in Krakow and could not have had a better experience in a 5 star property. The hotel is located on a tram line only 1 block from the Jewish quarter and a pleasant 15 minute walk to the Market Square in Old Town. During our stay, we received great assistance from numerous members of the staff at the hotel (Anna, Alexandra, Bernadette, Marcel, Phillip, and Bogdan, and Claudia). We were directed to the best restaurants, those where the locals eat and given good advice regarding our day trip to Zakopane. Upon our return from our daily excursions, we were always asked about how we had spent our day. Everyone on the staff seemed to have a genuine pride about their city and country.

The complimentary breakfasts were excellent and the coffee was good. The breakfast room, the hotel lobby, and the guest rooms were always spotless- one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed in during our travels during the last ten years. The wi-fi in our room had slow connectivity during our first day, but the problem was immediately addressed and corrected. The only negative that one could reference about this hotel is its proximity to the tram line and stop outside the front entrance. We found this to be more convenience than detriment. This is a 3 star property and the rates are very reasonable considering all the amenities you receive here. I would give the hotel a higher rating. I cannot think of anything but good things to say about the Columbus Hotel.

Room Tip: If you think you will be bothered by the trams, ask for a room looking out upon the courtyard. The...
Hertfordshire UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2012

An excellent small hotel, walking distance to the 'happening' areas, clean, great breakfast and exceptionally friendly (English speaking) staff. Staff will organise trips for you, door-to-door collection and return, Would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Despite being a very busy street (with trams), we had a front room and had no problem with noise.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends