“Relaxing”

Good Bye Lenin Hostel Zakopane
Sydney, Australia
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

This place was nice. The Hostel is a bit far from the Center of the town but Taxi's are cheap. The bathrooms were nice and clean and the heating in the rooms were good. I was there to snowboard, the mountains here are for more begginers to intermediates. It is a good place to learn how to ksi/snowboard because it is pretty cheap. I would not recommend Zakopane for Advanced Riders

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

Stayed here one night. I needed a base from which to start some hiking in the Polish Tatra around Zakopane. This is a hostel, not a hotel. So expect a laid back intimate dorm atmosphere rather than privacy (although there were a couple of double rooms). The owner was extremely friendly and a great source of advice on hiking. The location is way out of town and tricky to find - I ended up taking a taxi there which cost more than the very cheap rate for a bed. The reward is a quiet location in the fresh air at the edge of the forest. Hiking trials into the Tatra start literally 5 minutes from the door, so this was ideal for me. I hiked over to the famous lake under Mt Rysi in a day and a bit, although you could do it easily in a day if you are used to mountain hiking. No good shops nearby so bring your food, which you can cook here although the tiny kitchenette could not handle more than a couple of people cooking at once and gets pretty grubby. If you want an early night bear in mind you'll be able to hear the TV from any of the rooms, so bring ear plugs. All in all it was ideal for me as a stop-over to get the mountains. Other guests were based there for hiking several days.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
East Anglia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2009

We had a lovely stay at the Goodbye Lenin Zakopane, we had a private room, which was warm and cosy with plenty of room, the bed nice and comfortable and cleanliness was great. We received a warm welcome and found it to be a very sociable place.
It is located a fair way out of the main town, probably about 45 mins walk but there are a few bars on the way if you want to break it up. It's only 10mins or so walk to the Nosal ski slope and there is a bus stop 5 mins walk away (although you need to know the times) and the hostel staff will call you a taxi whenever needed.
We would definately stay there again without hesitation. This is a hostel and we've stayed in far worse hotels charging more than double the price.

• Liked — Warm and cosy.
  • Disliked — The slippery hill up to it when icy.
  • Stayed February 2009
Pembrokeshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2008

Fantastic , friendly staff , we have two youngish children who where made to feel really welcome.

• Liked — Clean and tidy
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2008

I stayed at this hostel for five nights and it was just perfect,really clean,the bathrooms are equal to a four star hotel!Zakopane itself has two main seasons...skiing during winter and hillwalking/hiking/relaxing during the summer.This hostel is perfectly located for both seasons,you wake up to nothing only trees and fresh air...the staff are the best ever,Andrew,Sylvia,Jacob(can't remember the other girls name),they have about thirty beds,from 8 bed dorm all the way down to a double room.
I'm a little bit shocked at reading another review of this hostel,during my stay,the hostel was almost full each night with all different people from England,Scotland,Belgium,Netherlands,Lituania,Canada,Sweden and North America,all good craic and there to have a good time....for me,I was there to relax...and thats what I did...the town itself is around 1000 m above sea level and the Kasprowy Wierch cable car lifts you(and 19 others) to almost 2000 m,then you go hiking...Poland on one side of the mountain and Slovakia on the other,chain ladders,frozen lakes,200 ft water falls,mountain streams....and thousands of people of every age,some with very young children.It feels safe and friendly,though sometimes theres no sign or menu in english!!
Thats it,don't think about it any longer,go stay there,you will have a good time at this hostel...thrust me.....

• Liked — Friendly,helpful staff
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank Irishtraveller33
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2007

We absolutely loved Good Bye Lenin. The hostel is so homely and the staff are fantastic. They will do anything for you! We loved it so much we just kept extending our time there! We ended up staying for Christmas and it was such a beautiful place to be in the snow for Christmas. The hostel is always clean and the bathrooms and everything
is practically new.

A good breakfast is included and there is a fantastic coffee machine makes great coffee any time of the day!

A big hello to Sophia, Dominica, Stan and Zane! Thanks for everything!

Jacinta and Vanessa from Australia

• Liked — The staff, the atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank jmb013
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2007

This Hostel is literally the worst Hostel I have ever been to. I’ve
been to many hostels in my experience, some have been good, some have
been great, some have been bad, and some have been terrible. But this
experience was positively traumatic. First of all I got lost because of
poor directions. The receptionist was unsympathetic. The first night was
O.K. although it was rather hot. The second day, it was revealed what a
horrible place it really was. I got food poisoning and diarrhoea that
day, which I am certain was from the cream cheese I had for breakfast.
It tasted horrible and I later found it had been left on the side in
the kitchen overnight. It was the only perishable food I had that day
too. But even the food poisoning was nothing compared to what happened
later. In the evening one guy who later turned out to be the owner of the
place came up to me when I was having tea, and offered me cannabis. I said "no thanks", and he said "are you sure", and I said "really, no thanks". He got quite angry, saying I was "being rude, ruining the atmosphere here" and that "going to a hostel is all about socialising and making friends, not sitting there being miserable". I just walked away.

Later that night I was trying to sleep, when another drunken guest came in to the room, and shouted at the top of his voice for ages. I told him to be quiet, but he shouted even more, and started swearing at me. We had a loud argument, and eventually, I walked out of the room to complain to the staff, but found the members gathered near the door. Before
I could say anything, one of them started pushing me, and two others
jumped on me and wrestled me to the ground and beat me up. When they let me get back up they screamed at me to get out of the hostel. I asked why they were doing this, and why they attacked me. They said, after hurling abuse at me, that it
was because "I was attacking a guest". When I pointed out I was
walking away from him at the time, I hadn't touched him, and was only shouting at him to make myself heard above his shouting, they swore at me and called a private security firm. They also conveniently forgot about the drug incident earlier in the day calling me "mentally ill", and
"a liar that makes things up for no reason" They did refund the
remaining nights stay, called another hostel, and paid for my taxi to it, but then they told me that "because we have been so good to you, you should not take this further". I went straight to the police once I got settled in my new Hostel.

The police drove up to the Hostel and questioned the three men, who told them a pack of lies about how I was "attacking a guest", and I was on drugs. Then the police let the attackes come up to the police van and try to bully me into dropping the charges. Because the attackers spoke Polish and English, I didn't speak Polish, and the police spoke very limited English, the police asked for the men who beat me up to translate what they said to me and what I said to them. I refused to let them do it, which angered the police officers, who were rude and sarcastic. Eventually they said I should go to the police station at 11am the next day. I didn't feel safe in Zakopane, so I dropped the charges and left the town.

Like I said in my title, this place should be avoided like the plague.

• Liked — It looked nice on the outside
  • Disliked — Getting assaulted by members of staff
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled solo