“Good but quirky”

Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Wroclaw
Arlington, VA
“Good but quirky”
Reviewed 18 May 2012 via mobile

In did like this hotel in wroclaw, where i traveled for work. The front desk was amazingly nice. The locations is convenient for the center of town. If i had advice to give the hotel staff, it would be to focus on the little things...empty tissue boxes, missing bath towels, empty milk by the coffee. A really good hotel could be a great hotel!!

Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jande_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Rafz, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Not sure how I've missed this place. It is simply great. Friendly staff, clean, well equipped, great location yet quiet. The rooftop deck area and restaurant is really a hidden gem. The bar and restaurant has a really cool and unique atmosphere. Free WiFi that is super-fast and quite good breakfast buffet complete the picture.
Only thing I would change is the lobby area. It needs to be brightened up a bit and freshened-up however it is small stuff.
The Granary was my place to stay however Monopol with its history really is a good place when visiting the great city of Wroclaw!

Room Tip: choose the 5th floor for a spectacular floor to ceiling tilted glass window!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Kraków
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I am a big fan of Likus hotels, they have done a great job with renovating this beautiful building. It is made with great taste and mid 20 class. What was close to perfection was service, and design of almost every element. What still needs improvement was: gym - too small, no place for stretching etc, I'd call it even basic. Great pool and saunas, unfortunately no time for spa so no idea but heard some good opinions.
Breakfast-again great service, working invisibly and fast. They could smile a little bit more, but on the other hand this is Poland, we are not used to that. Coffee - horrible, how come in such a great hotel you can not provide a descent expresso? They were serving Americana... No freshly squeezed juice, but again it is not standard in Poland.
Parking lot, outside the hotel, it was ok, half of the price you normally pay in 5 star hotels.
Definitely best you can get in that part of the country!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Ireland
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have just returned from a three night stay in this wonderful hotel. I can not fault it! I arrived early but this was no problem, my room was ready. I had phoned ahead of my stay and I spoke to lovely staff. They booked my room on the 5th floor and this is exactly what I got,The room was beautifully decorated. It was modern but encompassed the history of the building. The room had gorgeous wooden floors and furniture . The bed was made up with very high quality linens and I was so Impressed with the attention to detail. The marble bathroom features a jacuzzi bath and had it not been for the lovely pool in the spa, I think I would have spent even longer in the room! I loved this hotel. I was curious about it as I had previously stayed in Hotel Starry, a sister hotel in Krakow, and was so impressed.This hotel certainly didn't disappoint. It is luxurious and refined. The staff were so helpful and very accommodating. I would think that this a probably one of the best hotels in the city. If you can get a deal on this hotel, then snap it up!

Room Tip: ring ahead , the staff are so helpfulland will help you with your requests
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank 3Moonbows
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I stayed at the Monopol for Easter and it was great. I booked directly with the hotel site, I got a really good deal. Our room was huge, and although it was a bit dark, we had the biggest windows, so we never missed light. I asked for a room with two beds and a tub and I got exactly that, except we had two three-quarter beds,which was just a great surprise. I was impressed with the amenities, although we did not have any spare towel and no robe in our room (but on the wellness center you can get them).
The food is great at the hotel, and because it was Easter the restaurant at 6th floor was closed. But we had an Easter lunch at the restaurant in the ground floor and it was one of the greatest meals I have had (and it was super cheap considering the quality of the food and drinks). The staff was always nice, and the bar was always open for a late drink.
The wellness center is also worth noting. Beautiful pool, one dry and one steamy sauna. Perfect for a relax holiday.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
high wycombe
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed at the Monopol for three nights and the experience was mixed. It is without a doubt a beautiful hotel full of history and very grand. The rooms are very spacious nicely furnished and with many amenities such as underfloor heating, jacuzzi bath, monsoon shower which are very nice. Staff on reception were great and the breakfast was very very nice.There are several small irritations which detract from the expereince which shouldn't in my opinion be in existence for a hotel of this calibre.
Due to the design of the hotel the rooms are quite dark, but there is no compensation for this by using appropriate lighting. It was a little gloomy. I agree with another reviewer that the bathroom lighting is very impractical and dim. I wasn't quite sure what my makeup was going to look like once I hit daylight
There is only one hook in the bathroom, no towels rails at all that I could find. So it was struggle finding a place to hang robes , towels etc especially when we used the spa ( as we were told to take our robes down with us by the spa staff). The entire room ended up looking like a laundry . The shower did not contain the water making the bathrom floor lethal and damp socks galore if you didn't remember. Other small irriations, only one bath robe given , no spare toilet roll, no spare pillows (only one provided for each person) which meant that we had to go looking for the maids trolley .on occasion

Its a shame that such there was such a high incidence of small (but irritating) things overlooked which you may expect in a hotel with a lower star rating and reputation but not in a hotel that was referred to in many of the guides as the "cream of the crop".

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank qwerty12345607
glasgow
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Stayed beginning of April 2012! Booked directly with hotel and got a fab deal! We loved the design of the hotel very luxurious! Rooms are minamilistic but have a luxurious feel, great bathrooms, rain shower and jacuzzi bath, toiletries are l'occitane! Breakfast was served in the restaurant and was lovely. We also ate at the aquario restaurant both myself and husband were very disappointed with it! Food was cold, we sent it back but when we got it back it was still the same temperature! Our meal cost around £60 so def not worth it- on a positive the vies are fab and they have a great terrace. We also had drinks on the bar, service was great as were the cocktails! You also must tryout the spa, best i have been in, very romantic, all dark marble, candles and mood lighting, please make the effort! Taxi rank is right outside the hotel, cost us 50zl to airport! Overall all brill trip and would definitely stay at monopol again!

• Stayed April 2012