“One of the best hotels I've stayed at in Europe”
Review of Monopol Hotel

Monopol Hotel
Ranked #9 of 74 Hotels in Wroclaw
“One of the best hotels I've stayed at in Europe”
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

When writing this it's my third time staying at this hotel. The first time I was a bit hesitating from the name of the hotel - it sounded like a cheap low-budget hotel. But boy was I wrong... This is a top notch hotel situated splendid in Wroclaw; 5-7 minutes walk to Market Square in Old Town and 10 minute walk to the Galeria Dominikanska (a modern shopping mall with all the shops you'll ever need). The staff is always welcoming and professional, the rooms are massive with dark luxurious interior details. The bathroom is in marble. In the basement you have a nice spa section with pool, relaxation areas and price worthy treatments (the gym is a bit too simple but still OK). I can't do anything else but strongly recommend this hotel from the bottom of my heart.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed here twice for one-week each, on a business trip. Very pleasantly surprised the first time, and happy to have come back the second time.

Pros:
- huge, beautifully designed rooms, lots of space. Comfortable, minimalistic furniture, great bathroom design and amenities
- Floor to ceiling windows, gorgeous to get the light in during the morning
- L'Occitane toiletries
- Amazing breakfast options
- Great value - though booked a corporate group rate; so hard to say what it would be in general
- very good location; both to our offices as well as downtown for dinner, etc
- room service was quick and efficient, with good choices

Cons:
- Once the shower flooded, as it was not draining. Though the staff was very responsive and they fixed it asap
- One evening we wanted to simply go up and have a glass of wine on the top at the bar; and were told this is closed and they cannot seat anyone. While there were still 15-20 people there, happily having drinks. How about you let us sit, we order, and when everyone leaves we are also asked to leave as well ? Flat out refusing entry was a bit odd
- The restaurant at the top floor is insanely slow. Incredibly good food but plan 3-3.5hrs min to get through dinner

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2013

On a recent trip to Poland, we stayed at this hotel for 2 nights passing through Wroclaw on our way to Warsaw. I have to agree with other reviewers, this hotel is in serious need of a 'jack up' (new management team) when it comes to service and staff training..... I note from the other reviews that the issues raised are still the same (with minor exception) to those raised 3 years ago.... someone is not listening!

On the positive side. The rooms are large. The hotel lovely to look at from the outside as it is in an old, restored baroque building. Interestingly it is very modern inside. The location is really good, close to the old town.

On the negative side. There is no car park and we were very lucky to get one right outside as someone was leaving just as we arrived. The bell boy (who doubled up as 'trainee maintenance' I assumed as he later came to try and fix our TV), was friendly and helped us with our luggage.
The reception staff were young, surly and unwelcoming. No niceties. There were about 5 people standing around, 3 of which I assumed were trainees. The entrance looks very modern but the tons of dark marble used has dated the hotel and it does not have a 'fresh', 'inviting' feel.
We were allocated a room that had a dreadful, pungent smell causing me and my husband immediate hay fever. And although large, was dark, drab in appearance with one small window and curtains hanging off the rail in part. I immediately called reception and objected to the room as I was not happy with it. They sent up a young man that apologised profusely and continued to apologise throughout this process... he showed us 2 more rooms. We decided on one that was bigger with a lot more light and curtains that seem to work okay. But, alas, he had made a mistake and had to retract as he had shown us a room in a different class and so we had to go through the same exercise again.

This comedy continued..... The TV did not work and the bell boy, despite valiant efforts, and lots of apologies could not get the sound to work properly. The first night, 3 young gals whirled through the room, yanked the curtains closed (awkward to close in a hurry I can assure you), plonked a small box of truffles on the bed without any comment, turned the bed and disappeared never to be seen again after that first night. Oooh, sloppy! Also, no hand towels in the bathroom (lots of bath mats) or face cloths. The restaurant and bar staff are tardy..... have to call them over to get service (empty bar/restaurant), have to remind them of the order etc etc. At a 75 zloty price for breakfast, not good enough! Early morning tea..... did not have our choice of Earl Grey which we know they have in the bar downstairs?

In summary, it appears that the hotel is staffed by novice, young people (low wages) that do not have any life experience and no concept of how 5 star luxury hotels are run in the world. I suggest a trip to some 5 star Asian hotel (Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai) or London (eg Langham) will be a very valuable experience as they will know what competition they are up against. I would recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Moonwaker123
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here a few years ago, just after it was refurbished, and then stopped needing to travel to Wroclaw. Now I am back and so glad to renew my aquaintance not just with this lovely city but also with this truly spectacular hotel. The architecture is a constant delight, the rooms are perfect for me: hard wood floors; chic decor; comfortable beds; lovely bathrooms (with windows - I cannot say what a difference that makes). In addition, the food is really very good indeed - my dinner last night was delicious. Stay here, travellers!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kaeldridge
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 24 July 2013

The architecture is really outstanding .The rooms are very spacious with beautiful design.
The Bathroom large and well equiped The bed could be a bit longer and i am only 1.85 !!.Staff is nice but not too experienced.
The quality of Breakfast is very good.
Overall really exciting experience!!

Room Tip: If you need day light stay on high floor. Lower floor windows are often giving only a little light
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Jacekksen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Good sides: I appreciated staff who was friendly, rooms are nice and rather clean. Free Wi-fi with good speed. Design of the hotel interesting... The old phone on reception is a nice touch. Surprisingly good products in the bathroom from l'Occitane.

Things to improve: Security should be increased. Standing outside the hotel you can be easily approached by suspicious looking people asking for money. TV in my room was too far from the bed making it impossible to watch.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the second time. My room was simple and sparse with hardwood floors and was situated under the slanted roof. When i arrived, it was 35 degrees centigrade and the room was very warm. The curtains were hung on a wire and were difficult to block out the windows. It was only on the third day that i realized there were motorized Louvers to block out the light and add privacy. Whether it was the heated bathroom floor or the rainforest shower, I feel like we could have been given better instructions for use.

The A/C unit leaked on the first day but after I reported it it seemed to be fixed quickly.

The restaurants and bar both on the ground floor and roof were just excellent and rooftop had a stunning view.

My only complaint was room service. The selection was extremely limited and I ordered a steak one night. The steak I received was the size of a golf ball. Really.

Other than that, the location is perfect, just across the way from the market square right across the street from the opera house.

• Stayed June 2013