“Disappointing choice”

Ranked #20 of 73 Hotels in Wroclaw
Paris, France
“Disappointing choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Came for a 1 day business trip and decided to stay at The Granary as it is one the few to be listed by SLH in Poland.

What a disappointment...

1- the lighting & professional pictures on their site create an expectation of a real luxury hotel.
...in reality no flowers, lobby is relatively small and feels like a hallway. If you got to the lobby without issue you were lucky, the hotel entrance is close to impossible to spot if arriving after dark. On the concierge's desk: 1 pack of chesterfield, 1/2 cup of coffee, papers in mess...not exactly what you expect when being received in a 5 star.

2- Location is not worth it.
...Rynek square (market square) is the no1 spot to check out in Wroclaw. Unfortunately, hotel is quite a walk away so not ideal for an evening stroll.

3- Price/Value equation doesn't work.
...for Poland 150e a night is steep. That's ok if the hotel standing is worth it - this one's isnt. My opinion would have been quite different had the price been 90e to 120e. 4* at best.

To balance out the negative's to some degree: rooms are spacious, bathroom is definitively up to standard & spotless (shower + large bathtub). Staff is helpful and polite although appeared quite inexperienced.

I did not have opportunity to check out spa/fitness or breakfast - these could have further balanced my opinion.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank DadySchep
Agnieszka G, Front Office Manager at The Granary - La Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear DadySchep,
Thank you for taking your time to leave the opinion about our hotel. At the beginning we would like to respond to the comment about our lobby and the building itself. Our hotel is an adaptation of the old granary and architectural solutions are the consequence of the building construction. Our lobby is located in the beautifully restored cellar still the entrance and way to the lobby might appear not evident. At the same time we would like to mention that our hotel is illuminated in the evening and night time. There is a logo of the hotel and there are exterior lights outside the building.
The hotel offers central location (6 minutes walking distance to the Market Square), on the narrow, small historic street where our guests can relax in peace and quiet while being in the heart of the city.
Bearing in mind how important the first impression is, we would like to ask you to accept our deep apologies for the situation that took place during your arrival. We want to assure you that it is not our standard of service and the presentation of Front Desk was incidental. We would also like to thank you for all your positive comments about hotel rooms and kindness of our staff.
We will be more than happy to get a second chance to host you as our special guest and offer you VIP treatment.
Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Tilburg, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

The hotel is located close to the center and has spacious rooms. The service is excellent and staff helfull. Rooms are comfortable but a bit warm, the heating was turned on a bit too high.

Nice breakfast selection is offered and food servered in the restaurant is good.

This was my second stay in the hotel and was looking forward to staying in The Granary again.

An excellent choice for smart travellers to Wroclaw.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Toine M
Agnieszka G, Front Office Manager at The Granary - La Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear Mr. Toine M.,

Thank you for your nice comments about the stay at The Granary Hotel. At the same time I would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused by our air condition. Please note that we offer personal service for 24 hours and guests can contact the front office staff at any time during the stay to report faults, so they can be fixed immediately.
We are looking forward to hosting you again at our hotel.
Best regards
New Delhi, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

Very close to the city centre , I truly enjoyed staying at this place for 5 days.

Rooms are nice ,warm and comfortable , even though the temp outside was freezing.

Courteous and helpful staff as well...

It would have been even better if there were more English channels on cable TV :)

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Devanshu13
Agnieszka G, Front Office Manager at The Granary - La Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Devanshu13,
Thank you for your recent comment about the stay at our hotel. It has been forwarded to all departments. Looking forward to hosting you again.
Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

A quality hotel, with tremendous staff providing an excellent standard of service - it's in a great location and a in first class city with a massive future for intelligent tourism. Visited a couple of guests at the Granary and immediately knew that I'd love a stay at this charming hotel.

Large well furnished and equipped rooms. Very good wifi despite the period solid walls. Comfortable sleep provided by a luxurious kingsize bed.

Wasn't disappointed. I'll be back.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be as good as each other
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Agnieszka G, Front Office Manager at The Granary - La Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Relentlessvoyager,
Thank you for your kind words about our hotel and service. I would lkie to assure you that I will transfer them to all departments. This kind of comments make our day.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again in The Granaray Hotel
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Great room, good food. However the fruit flies in the dining room were quite offputting. I don't enjoy fishing them out of my drink in the evening, nor having to avoid the jam and the fruit at breakfast because they were covered in them. Another guest refused to have breakfast because of the same issue and was asking the staff to do something about them. Talking of which, I switched to the Granary due to the high cost of breakfast in the Sofitel (PLN75/£15). As my contracted rate at the Granary included breakfast, it seemed like a good deal. On checking out, I was charged for breakfast (although on the first visit it was quickly rectified), but for it to happen on the second visit as well, when my quote clearly says 'breakfast inclusive' is annoying. I have mentioned it to the agent, but I'm sure that the Granary haven't. However I won't be going back until the flies have left!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Mark P P
Dear Mr. Mark,
Thank you for taking your time to leave the feedback about the stay at our Hotel. Please accept our deep apology for the inconveniences caused during the breakfast and check out time.
I would like to inform you the situation with the fruit flies happened for the first time and was caused by our supplier. The problem had been solved quickly and will never get back (thanks to professional care of contracted company). The breakfast value was added to your account according to payment instructions given by the agent. The situation happened twice as the hotel received the same booking confirmation two times. Referring to our mutual arrangements made after your check out the special rate inclusive of breakfast was offered to avoid further misunderstanding in the future.
We do hope you will become our regular guest again.
Looking forward to welcoming you in The Granary Hotel.
Best regards,
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed here on a business trip this week and have nothing but praise for the service. Breakfast was delicious and I slept like a baby inside the thick brick walls, but the service was something else.

The morning I was about to check out and was going to leave for meetings, I was washing my hands in the bathroom and don’t know how, but I managed to drop my wedding ring in the bathroom sink drain. Anyone who’s been in this hotel may remember that the sink is fitted and it’s not easy to access the drain trap and pipes, so I thought the ring was gone forever. I was of course devastated, but the staff in the reception reassured me that their handyman would be there within an hour and would try his best to find the ring. Two hours later I got a phone call that they found my ring and I could collect it from the reception. Needless to say that I was over the moon, they really made my (and my husband’s) day!
A special thank you to the staff.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Agnieszka G, Front Office Manager at The Granary - La Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Dear Moss1275,
Thank you for your great comments about breakfast, rooms and especially our service. I have passed them onto relevant managers and employees. I am personally responsible for the Front Office staff, I can say, that I am proud of my team and I am very honoured to work with all of them.
Looking forward to welcoming you again at The Granary Hotel.
Best Regards
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

I've been at Granary many times in the past months and I've definitely mixed feelings on it. Pros: beautiful structure, very peculiar and with charme. Rooms are big, clean an very nice bath-tube. Wifi is fast, breakfast good, nice restaurant to have a bite (although a bit pricey for Wroclaw standards), service is attentive and polite. Is very close to main square and old town. Where I'm a bit disappointed is about the air con very difficult to set up and to switch off completely. I had to call the reception to fix it. It can be very cold or hot at night. Jacuzzi is small and cold (I've asked the responsible to raise temperature but she was quite conservative as it was 6 pm...). Worse thing are the pillows!!! Too soft that you need 4 of them and it's still uncomfortable to sleep. Bottom line..it could be great hotel, at the moment is good.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for your honest opinion about the stay at The Granary Hotel. I would like to assure you that all your positive comments will be transfered to our staff. At the same time I do understand your dissapointment caused by the air condition. That system needs some time to raise or to reduce the temperature after the set up. Our technican department is already awared of and working to solve the problem.
I hope that this inconevenience will not stop you from choosing our hotel in the future.
Looking forward to host you again
Front Office & Resevation Manager