“Design over function. And PLEASE turn off the music!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Platinum Palace Hotel

Platinum Palace Hotel
Ranked #32 of 73 Hotels in Wroclaw
Oslo
“Design over function. And PLEASE turn off the music!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

After a rather dull starter, I got my main course, rabbit. I wanted some more water to drink, but forgot to ask when the waiter came with my meal. Would not be a problem, I assumed; I would just ask when he came to check on me.

But naah, that didn’t happen. I didn’t see him until I was all done eating and ready to pay. Not him, nor anyone else working there. Dear Platinum, this is NOT acceptable. I see many reviews saying you need to work on your service, and your response is always the same: “staff is working hard”. There was no other guests there. Just me. I do not know what he was “working hard” on doing, but it was not his job.

Mind you, I was going to order dessert. The rabbit was quite good, though the tortellini that came with it was anything else than fresh, and the meat wrapped inside it, I have no idea what that was supposed to be, so I could have hoped that the desert could be somewhat tasty. But the mind-eating elevator-muzak style R&B was eating on my nerves too much, and I had to run.

That was dinner. How about breakfast? I sit down, I am all alone. Just me, eating breakfast. After 15 minutes, someone finally comes, but mostly just to ask for my room number. This is not service, dear Platinum. This is not acceptable for a hotel claiming to be “5 star”. Mind you, the R&B muzak was there too, and I did not want to stay too long. The breakfast, though presented lovely, was nothing more than average, missing a lot of things that I am quite used to having even 3 star hotels.

The entire place shines of “Design Over Function”. The building, a nice old building, could do well in a traditional style luxury outfit. Instead they go for the modern design luxury feel. I can’t count the number of objects with sharp edges. I cut myself on the chair the first night, it has knife sharp edges. There are glass tops on many surfaces, I don’t wanna think about what will happen if am careless walking to the restroom during the night. The sides are sharp enough to leave a nice scratch on your legs.

Yes, for the price of this hotel, I can’t even get a low cost budget hotel at home, so for what I paid, I assume I cannot complain too much. I do not give this review based on what I can expect to get in Norway, though; I write this based on what you claim to be: a “5 star hotel”, and what other hotels around here cost. I’m also thinking about a budget hotel we spent a night at in London, in the very lowest-priced segment there, and how I much rather want to be at that hotel than here.

I am posting this when I am safely at home; it’s not like the internet connection here is stable enough to do much online anyway. It is too much up & down for me to do much of anything online.

As a hotel, it is ok. I do not care too much about the dinner, I can eat elsewhere. Breakfast should be a lot better, that is something you get at the hotel. If you have business near this hotel and want to stay where business is, and don't care about limited breakfast, sure, stay here. But mind you, it is not a 5 star hotel. The hotel is on the edge of a lovely little park.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SteinarE
Bartłomiej K, Front Office Manager at Platinum Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear Sir. Thank you for sharing your opinion with the others.
We are really sorry about your bad experiences in our restaurants.
Our F&B manager was informed about all your complaints.
We hope you visit us next time when in Wroclaw, to see how hard we work
to fulfill all your expectations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Buckinghamshire England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

We went to a wedding reception and although it was very good I think that 5 stars is too much. It was a very pleasant experience but not exceptional. I cannot comment on the value for money as we were not paying.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Bartłomiej K, Revenue Manager at Platinum Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest, thank you for sharing your opinion.
We will be pleased to know what exactly should we improve to fulfill your expectations.
I kindly ask you to contact with me via e-mail (revenue@platinumpalace.pl) and inform me about your experience in Platinum Palace.

With best regards
Katowice, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Platinum Palace is a very good place to stay. Our room was big but not spacious, as we stayed on the top floor (attic), so apparently it was difficult to arrange it. Also, there was a huge couch that wasn't necessary (but I guess it's also connected with the arrangement). The room had a nice bathroom, a tv, a desk and a safe. The bed was just amazing, really comfortable and big. The hotel was clean and the staff was polite. The location is not too good but it's not a big problem (there's a tram stop: several minutes to the centre).

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for leaving your opinion here.
We always do our best and work very hard to make your stay unforgettable.
We hope to see you in Platinum when visiting Wroclaw next time!
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Platinum Palace. The rooms were clean but quite small. Service was polite but there were not many staff around. The breakfast was good but not fantastic. The price for a 5 star hotel was exceptional. However, I would not rate this as a 5 star hotel - definitely a 4 star.There is a supermarket just across the road (10 minutes walk) which is very handy.

I stayed there for a wedding reception and the overall experience was very good but it didn't 'blow me away'. The food at the reception and the service was however very very good! The food came out for everyone within minutes of each other and it was hot, well presented and delicious.

In summary if you want to stay at a nice quiet 4 star hotel that is a short taxi or tram journey (10 minutes or so) out of the centre then this would be perfect. If you want to be in the middle of everything then you might want to look elsewhere. I would definitely consider returning.

Room Tip: Ask to see the two main types of rooms before you check in. Staff are very accommodating.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Steve E
Bartłomiej K, Revenue Manager at Platinum Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Guest, thank your very much for taking your time to write this opinion.
our service is always doing very best to make you comfortable during your stay,
from your first step inside, until check-out time.
We understand that not everything was perfect when you've visited us,
but our staff everyday take its time to work hard and improve our service- we are happy hearing from you that the service was good.
We hope that you will choose Platinum Palace for your next stay in Wroclaw to be treated well.
Yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The hotel is nice looking, they definitely spend a money there. Unfortunately customer service is terrible !!! The sauna is closing at 10pm and lovely lady will be there to remind you about it from 9:15 every 10 minutes, in an meantime she will use the customers towels to wipe the floor. Also you can't have a drink there because the in no logical connection with the bar upstairs!
In the room we couldn't have ice because they run out of ice!?!? (5 star hotel?).
The breakfast was really bad too as I need to look for anybody that can prepare my scramble, ham and cheese on the table was dry. I spoke to the hotel manager that offered a free stay (promised to send a voucher) after my complains - that's never happened.
Good hotel but max 3 stars and that's for the design!

Room Tip: Avoid that place - the best tip I can give.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Dominic J
Bartłomiej K, Revenue Manager at Platinum Palace Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Sir, thank you for taking your time to write the opinion.
We are very sorry for not fulfilling your expectations.
If you feel dissatisfied, please accept our apologies.
Our service is always doing its best to make your stay in Platinum Palace
memorable and well. Your opinion is very important for us and will help us
to improve the quality of services in Hotel.
We would like to send you new voucher for a free stay, so we kindly ask you to contact us via email.
Yours Sincerely
Gdansk, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great hotel, located outside of the city centre. Very quiet and charming. My room was small but very clean and cozy. Staff was very helpful and professional. Fitness centre (only cardio equipment) was not very well air conditioned and you could feel the heat coming out from the saunas which made my work out a bit difficult.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

Small, quiet hotel with wellness area.
The best for bussinnes trip when you travel and want to relax in the evening.
Staff will help you if needed.
Nice rooms in the new part, but confusing to get there.
Try the kitchen also.