“Great hotel and location”

Mercure Wroclaw Centrum
Ranked #10 of 74 Hotels in Wroclaw
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Had a long weekend in Wroclaw and stayed in the Mercure. Everything about this hotel impressed me ( but did not eat there, so cannot comment on the food), staff were helpful at both check in and also arranged taxi to the Airport on departure. Rooms are clean, en suite and sizable. Has a sprinkling of tourists, but seems to cater for business parties in main. Location is about 5 minutes from the main square in the old city,is next door to a shopping complex, is in an area of the city that is busy, but my room on the 6th floor, was very quiet. Appropriate that it should be called the Panorama as room was directly opposite an old church and beyond that, could see the spiers of Cathedral Island.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Howden End

Reviewed 29 September 2007

Hotel Mercure Panorama is only 2 tram stops from the
train station Wroclaw Glowny: When you go out of the
train station, you should walk to the big street which
is in front of the station. Then cross the street,
turn to the left and walk to the crossing with the
street named Kollataja. Then turn right to Kollataja
and locate a tram station. Look for tram #2, enter it
and ask somebody for the stop closest to Galeria
Dominikanska (that is a shopping mall). Get off from
the tram and you will see a sign of the hotel which
is incorporated in Galeria Dominikanska building.

Hotel Mercure Panorama belongs to a french Accor group
and although it is a 3-star one, for my opinion it is
much better and cleaner than some 4-star ones in Greece
I visited in recent years. Don't forget to check out
at noon your last day of stay in it because it was a
thing I forgot. They didn't check the room and gave a
new door card to the other guests. They entered
the room, saw my things and alarmed the reception. The
desk changed the door code so when I came back to pick
up my things, I couldn't open the door. I had to ask a
maid to open the door and rushed to pack my stuff. In a
hurry I almost missed the last chance to catch my train
to Krakow, so instead of a cheap tram back to Wroclaw
Glowny I had to ask the hotel to call a taxi which I
paid 10 times more than the tram. But all of that was
my mistake an happily the hotel staff was so nice so
didn't charge me for being late in checking-out.

Mercure Panorama, as I said, was great including the
desk people helping me with contacting a travel agency
which was about to give me a tourist ride around the
city. The breakfast in Mercure Panorama was also very
good and also the pleasant dining room atmosphere in
the early morning. In the evenings you could get some
apples at the reception desk.

To reach the Rynek (old city square) you have to go
downstares to the underground walk passage (some 20m
from the hotel entrance), then go up to the surface
again and continue to walk for some 10-15 minute to
the old square. The hotel peaople will explain you
everything on the map so you won't get lost.

According to the wroclaw-life.com brochure on Wroclaw,
I tried eating at Pod Papugami. Although I was satisfied
with what I got to eat there (including the great Zywiec
beer), it seems that I mixed Pod Papugami with another
reastaurant called Spiz - which is on the same location,
but actually on the first floor. Similarly to my stay in
Poznan, I only had a day in Wroclaw, so didn't come back
again to check the other kitchen mentioned. But I found
Lwowska restaurant on the other part of Rynek and ordered
their grilled white sausages and black pudding ones. Both
were great in the same plate.

I have missed to try Jadka restaurant which was also
described as good, and was somewhere near the location
of the Military museum in Wroclaw's Odra river bank.

The first afternoon in Wroclaw, I managed to find the
museum but it was closed after some 4pm what I found
awful for such a tourist city of Wroclaw. The next
morning I had to make some other visits before my
trip continued to Krakow - so i missed both the museum
which opens its door at some 11am, and Jadka restaurant
again (my hopes for the next time). But from Hotel Mercure
Panorama is it close to walk and see Raclawice Panorama
site (one of the biggest panorama paintings in Europe)
and to learn a bit on the Polish history. You should
also see the Leopoldina Aula room (and some other nice
rooms should you want to pay for that) which is located
in the old Wratislavia (Wroclaw) university building.
The best time to visit Aula room is near the noon,
because you might find it closed in the afternoons too.

After that experience it seems to me that the best time
to travel city-to-city there in Poland is either as
soon as possible after your hotel breakfast, or later
in the afternoons when most of the sightseings seem to
be closed. That way you are not going to miss something
you have planned to visit.

But if you are short in time, you can consider to book
an eco-car trip around the city in an electric vehicle.
I used the travel agency BetterPoland.com which I paid
36 eur for 2-hour drive visiting the main sightseings
in Wroclaw - mentioned above, including the explanations
by the English-speaking driver (if you have such a luck).
You will also see Japanese garden, universities' areas
and some other places. At the end of the ride, they can
leave you somewhere you find as most convenient to
continue with your activities or go back to your hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled solo
4  Thank MickeySerbia
Reviewed 18 June 2007

Stayed there for four nights at the end of May with some friends. Found the hotel to be very clean and professional with a business like feel, typical of a hotel that would perhaps attract businesses and business people to use their facilities. A great location for exploring Wroclaw being only 5-10 minutes walk from the centre and the staff were extremely pleasant and helpful with maps, information and car hire etc. Only minor gripe was that we were there in the middle of a hot spell (30C+) and the air conditioning in the rooms made little impression. Would happily stay there again though.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank DonkeyDerby
Reviewed 16 May 2007

We have just returned from a four night stay in the Mercure Panorama. We were very pleased with our choice of hotel. It is very centrally situated, 5 minutes from the Old Square. There is some building work going on around this area, but this did not spoil our stay. The staff were very friendly and helpful and spoke perfect English. The hotel rooms were a nice size and very clean, big wardrobe for hanging clothes. The price of the hotel was very reasonable. Breakfast was extra (8 Euros), but worth the extra money. Cereals, cheese, ham, bacon eggs, fruit, yogurt, freshly baked rolls. Would certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katiecoos
Reviewed 7 May 2007

I booked the Mercure Panorama for my stag do in April 2007. There was 33 of us and the hotel accomodated us with no fuss even though we were obviously a same sex group.
I booked the hotel direct with them by phone and they were fantastic.
The hotel itself is right in the city centre, just a five minute walk to the main square where you find all of the bars and restaurants.
The lobby area is very modern, along with the rooms. The bar is a bit pricey for Polish standards and I would recommend going out into the town rather than drinking there.
The breakfast at the hotel wasn't up to much either, but there is a shopping centre immediately next door to it with some rather nice eateries.
In the bars around the main square we were paying about 5 zloty / 1 pound for a 500ml glass of Polish beer. You literally could not give your money away!!
This is a great place for couples aswell as we only saw one other stag party in our two night stay. It is very pretty around the Old Square and is spotlessly clean.
If you are thinking of going to Wroclaw on your stag then book it up now before evrybody else hears about it. It is an absolutey fantastic place and is cheap as chips.
A taxi from the Airport should cost you no more that 50 zloty / about 10 pounds and takes about 30 minutes.
Enjoy!!

• Stayed: April 2007
2  Thank StaffordKod
Reviewed 8 December 2006

The Trip
-------------
Just returned from Wroclaw (Dec 1st to 3rd 2006) We were 4 lads who picked Wroclaw out of the hat so to speak. Two twin rooms was the way to go to keep the weekend as cheap as possible...and what a great choice the Mercure Panorama was!

Each twin room cost us £40 - that's for the ROOM and for the WHOLE 2 nights!..which obviously means the equivalent of £10 pppn - It's easily 3 of the best Stars in terms of comfort and service (very friendly staff - fast and efficient check in) and is superbly located (right next door to a large indoor shopping centre) and a short walk from the main square / town hall / shops / bars / restaurants...and has various tram stops outside...for further afield excurtions.

Let's be honest here...this wasn't the most culture-filled of weekend breaks for us (note the cheap beer price below), but the architecture of the city (particularly around the University area - yes we did get out of bed and explore a bit!) is very interesting.

The restaurants we went to were fairly "Westernised" rather than traditional Polish cuisine, but all were reasonably priced and all the bars and pubs were cheap too...around 5 Zloty/pint about 1GBP/pint.

Getting from/to Wroclaw airport
---------------------------------------------
Taxi from Wroclaw airport to the Hotel direct was 50 Zloty - about £10 (picking one up from town to the airport on the way back was 80 zloty for some reason - so probably best to get them to say how much before you get in)

The Future?
------------------
I'm going back - definitely!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
6  Thank NBK007
Reviewed 18 September 2006

On the plus side the beds (superior room) were really very comfortable indeed. No problems at all with cleanliness and staff very helpful (there is an advantage if you speak German). Ask them to contact an English speaking taxi driver called Richard if you fancy a three hour tour for £20.00!! It was brilliant.
Breakfast so-so and there is so much choice in the nearby old town that dinner in an outside restaurant was much more appealing.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple