Campanile Hotel - Old Town
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Duet(Wroclaw)
Patio Hotel(Wroclaw)
Excellent 5/5
    All reviewsbus station and train stationold townconstruction workcity centrespoke englishshort breakbooked this hotelwithin walking distancedouble roomminute walkpolishbedding
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 22 November 2011

Centrally located (a short walk from the historical centre and the University), but the neighbourhood of the hotel is hardly welcoming - coming back late in the evening was quite challenging, so better take a cab or tram, which stops near the hotel. Friendly staff and management.
    Upsides: rooms are of average size but comfortable and very clean, wifi works fine.
    Downsides: apart from the neighbourhood, the fact that breakfast is not included in the price and is quite costly, especially when compared to the choice given.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
    Reviewed 18 July 2011

The Hotel is exceptional value; we paid around £25 per night for a room that was very adequate.

The Hotel is located only a few minutes walk from the central square (Rynek) and is very near the river that seemed to feature in all of Wroclaw's most beautiful settings.

The rooms are quite small but are clean and comfortable. The only problem was a slight buzzing noise that came from either the basement below us or from a building nearby; it kept me awake a couple of nights for a wee bit, but nothing too bad.

I would happily use Campanile Hotels again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
    1  Thank arab_joe
    Reviewed 29 June 2011

Hotel is situated not far from the Old Town. It's by the river so in the summer don't open the window, when you have river view - mosquitoes are in town:) Rooms are basic but clean. In every room there is a coffee, tea, water and biscuits - all complimentary. WiFi is working very good and the signal is strong. You can watch movies on-line. Staff is friendly and helpful. It's not a fancy hotel, but for a business trip it has everything you need, and the prices are acceptable. Only breakfast is little overpriced. There is McDonald cross the street and gas station, when you can walk and get something to eat even in the middle of the night (if you work late).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
    1  Thank JuliJuli_10
    Reviewed 10 June 2011

Good location, very close to the Old Town, on the river shore. Staff helpful, decent breakfast, rather poor selection of TV channels, clean and convenient. Bathroom ok (although bathtub is very small), rooms with air con and free wi-fi. Generally basic hotel, but I was satisfied. I’ve been there only for one night, so can’t really assess all the rest that it has to offer. Tricky thing is a parking driveway – with high curb, so you have to be careful not to hit the bottom of your car. Good for business customers for quick stop in Wroclaw, as for tourist for stopover in this interesting town with lots of monuments, historical buildings, impressive cathedrals and few good restaurants and clubs.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
    Reviewed 13 April 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Campanile Wroclaw from thursday 7 April 2011 for three nights. We checked out on sunday 10 April 2011. This is a recently built hotel about ten minutes walk along the river into the old centre of Wroclaw. We paid 564 zloty in total which works out at about £128 (using exchange rate of 4.4 zl to a quid which is what I got at the money exchange).

It is spotlessly clean. The staff speak English. There is a bar and a restaurant. On arrival the receptionsist was polite and helpful and gave us a free tourist guidebook. We asked for a non-smoking room. Our room (number 320) was very clean, but an ashtray was provided by the bed (??) and there was a very faint smell of the previous occupants smoking habit.....so did we actually get a 'non-smoking' room or didn't we?. This is my only complaint about the room as otherwise it was nice. Comfortable king size bed, tv, kettle with complimentary teabags, plastic cups and spoons, sachets of coffee and sugar but alas no milk (I bought a small carton of UHT from a shop which sufficed). The en-suite bathroom was nice also, immaculately clean, comprising bath with shower, toilet, wall hairdryer. Free 'Dove' shower gel is provided in a dispenser above the bath which I thought was a nice touch.

A hotel buffet breakfast is available at 35 zl per person per day. This is rather steep working out at £8 a go so we didn't opt for it. There is a McDonalds round the corner if you eat that stuff, or plenty of places as you get into the town to eat. I found Polish cuisine rather like eating at my grandmothers house in the early 1970's.....dead pig, potatoes, cabbage...in various combinations....ugh....bland, bland, bland.

We opted for the 'foreign' restaurants. There is a French Bistro as you walk from the hotel into town. Well it's not French at all but looks like one and the food is great......49 zloty each for a three course set menu....I had onion soup, entrecote steak with fries and salad, and creme brulee for dessert (and it was made in the kitchen, not lifted out of a freezer). Great food and not bad for eleven quid (after you have crossed the bridge, note the antique shop on the left hand corner (yellow walls), go up this street and it's the first or second turning on your left and you'll find the bistro).

In the Rynek (Old German for Ring....the boundary of the Medieval Old Town) is a passable Greek restaurant 'Greco' (opposite the town hall with the big ornate clock)which isn't half bad for the price. Again this place is about as Greek as the French place mentioned above but the food is better than the dead pig and cabbage fare on offer elsewhere.

We went to an 'Italian' (no it's not) restaurant in the Rynek one night which was pretty dire. the worst Spag Neopolitan I've ever had. This restaurants saving grace was that it served excellent Pilsner Urquell (Czech) lager on draught.

We were checking out early sunday morning to get our flight so I asked reception on saturday evening to book us a taxi to the airport. The taxi way overcharged us (60 zl!!......when it cost us only 45 zl from the airport when we arrived on thursday). The receptionist had assured us on saturday evening it would be about 45 zl maybe less as they had an agreement with the taxi company that the hotel customers got a small discount. Well we were ripped off so the hotel management need to look at that. The taxi was booked for 3.30 am sunday 10 April 2011 going to Wroclaw Airport. No wonder the driver was smiling. I wonder what Del Boy Taxis is in Polish?

Overall view: Good hotel for the price. Great staff apart from the blonde young female receptionist in the early hours of sunday morning who was a bit surly and uninterested. I gave her the two room key cards and got a terse 'that's it' with no eye contact.

A 'I hope you enjoyed your stay' comment would have been nice. Some customer service training required there I think for that young lady. Shame because the other reception staff I spoke to previously were very good.

Tips: a standard European two pin adaptor is all you need to plug your gadgets in by the way in Poland;
    When you arrive at Wroclaw airport and need a taxi there is a queue of taxis outside. Go for Partner Taxi or MPT. These are to be trusted. You can google these companies for their telephone numbers. They have English speaking controllers. Ignore the complaints from the taxi guy at the head of the queue that you must take his taxi just because he says he's next. Just insist on the taxi you choose. A fair charge from the airport into town (13km away) is about 45 zl, about ten quid). Why oh why didn't I follow my instincts and phone for my own taxi from the hotel back to the airport? I got done over for 15 zl which is only three and a half quid but it's the principle.

Room Tip: Only ten minutes walk from the historic centre.
    • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple