“We can just say Mazel Tov for this great restaurant!”

Mandragora Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 221 Restaurants in Lublin
Price range: US$4 - US$17
Cuisines: Israeli
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Mandragora is a restaurant located in Lublin Old Town that serves Jewish cuisine. All dishes in our menu are cautiously selected so that, to the extent possible, they reflect the nature of traditional Jewish cuisine. We prepare them exclusively from the best quality ingredients and based on old, pre-war recipes. At the same time we care of the visit in Mandragora so that it is not only a culinary experience but also a cultural one, that is why we obey Jewish customs concerning the preparation of dishes, and the interior in our restaurant was inspired by the rich cultural tradition of the pre-war Jewish Lublin. You are welcome!
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We felt directly welcomed when we entered the door. We had booked place in advance and maybe that was good. The food was delicious and generous and we enjoyed the place very much. You could sense that this place took responsibility for the Jewish Cuisine!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Mandragora is a charming place. It refers to ‘old’ Lublin and the history of Jewish people who lived there before II world war. Menu introduces Jewish cuisine and a bit of family history. The food is prepared according to Jewish dietary laws, Sabbath laws, holiday rituals as well as local cooking customs and it definitely isn’t an ordinary menu. Nice selection of wine and few local beers are also on the menu. If you are interested in Jewish tradition and music - visit Mandragora during their life music sessions. The only thing which I didn’t like about the place was staff. Girls seemed totally not interested in serving tables, don’t get me wrong - when they showed up, they were lovely however we have waited way too long to order and then to get a bill. Definitely would recommend!

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I had the pleasure of having dinner at Mandragora twice during my visit to Lublin and was so very pleased both times. Unlike some of Poland's "Jewish" restaurants, this one is the real deal. Traditional dishes prepared traditionally! Great menu! Great service! Great ambience! I thoroughly enjoyed everything I had, especially the soups and the duck. The duck? Heavenly....

Reviewed 21 November 2013

The place looks fantastic and the great referral to the Jewish past in Lublin before the war. But the food was a disappointment although I admit that I have no knowledge of Jewish food traditions but the place is referring the menu to this tradition. The food did not taste of any spices and the portions of some off the dishes were ridiculous. I was very disappointed with the menu and I do not want to try this kind of food again.

1  Thank Innlendur
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stopped by for dinner and at first were wary as the English menu sounded a bit dull. We learned that the menu descriptions just don't do the food justice! My husband and I shared an appetizer of the goose pipkes (stuffed goose neck) which were very tasty. They were out of potatoes for latkes, so my husband ordered the " piece of meat" instead and I ordered the dumplings. His steak was a quality piece of meat perfectly cooked (I was able to cut it with my butter knife) and well seasoned. Both my husband and I loved my dumplings. I was expecting heavy, greasy cheese filled dumplings, but while they were filled with cheese, they were as light and fluffy as a cloud! They were also seasoned perfectly with herbs, just enough to add an interesting flavor, but not enough to overwhelm the delicate flavor of the cheese. If I were staying longer in Lublin, I would definitely come back to try more dishes! What we also appreciated was that all the side dishes, the potatoes and salads with the steak and the bread and cucumbers with the goose appetizer, were noticeably excellent.

Coming from America, the prices were a steal (under 100zl for dinner with 2 beers, an appetizer and tip!!) and service was excellent. We've been traveling for a week through 4 different countries and this is the first restaurant that has inspired a review. Definitely worth your time and money!!