“Shabby but atmospheric”

Ranked #18 of 38 Hotels in Lodz
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Shabby but atmospheric”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I wanted somewhere central and this place looked interesting. It has a faded charm and wouldn't have looked out of place 80 years ago. The lobby area is fantastic, my bedroom was spacious and had everything I needed although again was all a bit dated. The corridors were a bit endless I didn't eat in the hotel but went for a drink after dinner and the bar was really a bit sad. Breakfast, comparatively expensive. I wish I could 3.5 stars, it is better than average but maybe not quite up to very good! I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I purposely chose this due to its location and its historical identity (I like hotels that remind me of where I am). It's right in the middle of Lodz' Piotrkowska street - which is the most hopping of Lodz' nightlife, with lots of bars, cafes, stores, street art, and strip clubs. The hotel and room were clean, although the room was "rough around the edges" with things like a loose shower head, a cigarette burn here and there, a door that wasn't completely sealed from the hallway light. The TV and other amenities were fine. The breakfast, served in a grandiose ballroom, was diverse and delicious with lots of cheeses, fruits, meats, breads, juices, cereals, fish and more. I made the mistake of foregoing the breakfast in the hotel to look for something on the street, but apparently, Poles don't eat breakfast out because there were NO other options. The hotel staff was all pleasant and accommodating and, lucky for me, had umbrellas to lend to hapless guests unprepared for the rain. Overall, I was comfortable there!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank E_Donald_Stein
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Huge room with basic amenities including flatscreen tv, slippers,and a phone in the bathroom (!?). You can see that it has been very grand (a while ago), now it is worn and in need of some tlc. Breakfast is served in a pink ballroom- and I would recommend to go quite early as there are no coolers etc to keep the food from getting warm. Staff were friendly, and the hotel has a central location. An interesting experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Millemoi
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I am writing this review from my hotel room. My room is very spacious, spotlessly clean, everything is working fine, the bed is magnificent and very comfortable. Just finished my breakfast and I can say it was truly delicious. The pleasant reception man recommended the breakfast to me and I can honestly say it was well worth the money. There was a fast choice including hot and cold. I asked for poached eggs and to my surprise they came to me perfectly poached. The other 4 hotels in Lodz that I recently stayed in, did not know what a poached egg was. The bacon was also first class.

The hotel is elegant and I hope all these stupid people who say it is old, I want to say to them, "please open your eyes because if it was left to you, you would be demolishing churches and cathedrals because they are old"

100% to the WiFi, very quick and does not keep breaking down. I have booked another couple of days here at the Grand. Give this place a chance and ask for one of the renovated rooms.

Cheers
Anthony
(Tony) Liverpool

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank T D
Brading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

All the facilities are very run down, hotel had its best days a long time ago and sadly unless some good investment comes along I can't see this hotel staying there much longer (with so many amazing hotels to choose from in Lodz).

Very expensive for what you get - although on a positive side staff were friendly and helpful.

Also be aware - not all of the rooms have air conditioning - I arrived there in August at 38C and got one without - thankfully they had capacity to move me to one with AC.

The first room I got was Apartment Studio - which was nice but toilets were terrible - dirty loo, leaking shower - oh my that was just awful. The next room was clean and bathroom was in a much better state but the room wasn't as nice as the previous one - very old (80s style furniture) which had better days, low quality curtains, bedding (Ikea set) - just not worth the money I spent really. For that price I would have a far better room and comfort in one of the other hotels around.

Would not recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for air con - not all rooms have it!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Lodz hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Great central position and pleasant hotel - staff friendly and excellent breakfasts. Rooms are a little dated but very clean and comfortable and good bathroom. Hotel seems quiet but it is early in the week.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank IrenaGo
London
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Following in the footsteps of the great, the good and the very bad, we stayed in one of the 'apartments' which gave us a large bed room (with a comfy and charming bed, long enough for my 6'3' partner), a fantastic huge sitting room, complete with rococo chairs and persian carpet, a spacious clean bathroom and a small hall with fridge. The windows were huge so it was very light, and the double glazing kept out most of the friday and saturday night reveller sounds which did not disturb us at all. The rest of the hotel is equally spacious and redolent of its 19th century heritage. Yes the floors creak, yes we had to bang the bathroom door to get it to shut - but not big problems for us. The shower was good and hot, and the plumbing worked efficiently - much more important. We would have liked a kettle to make ourselves a cup of tea when we fancied it, sitting in our splendid sitting room. The staff were helpful, and breakfast offered pretty much anything you could wish for. Anyway we loved it, and its bang in the middle of one of the liveliest part of the pedestrianised Piotrkowska Street, so lots of bars, restaurants and cafes around.

Room Tip: If you're there at the weekend it might be best to be higher up - away from the street noise. T...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple