“A taste of Eastern Europe”

Pierogarnia na Bednarskiej
Ranked #353 of 2,462 Restaurants in Warsaw
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Śródmieście Północne
Malaga, Spain
“A taste of Eastern Europe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

I visited Poland and Russia in the Communist days of the 80's and this place took me right back. Think Soup Kitchen.Very inexpensive good tasting food. However, it doesn't get much more unsophisticated than this. Windowless restaurant with shared bench tables. Unfriendly service. Give your order in at the counter, collect your cutlery and wait at your table. I had the daily special for PLN 18. I thought it tremendous value. If I had brought my wife along, however, she would have hated it!

• Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Maarssen, The Netherlands
“Self service and dirty”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

The food was good. If you're looking for a quick meal. The mean dish are polish soups and dumplings. You have to get your own menu and order your self. Then grab you cuttlery. The tables are dirty. Sometimes the staff will get the empty plates, but I haven't seen a cleaning cloth.
The table, glasses and tablecloth were all not clean at all.

Calgary, Canada
“Local Polish Cuisine at Ridiculously Amazing Prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I visited this out-of-the-way restaurant based on a review I read on tripadvisor and I was not disappointed. This little place is just off Krakowskie Przedmiescie on a street called Bednarska (which is perpendicular to K.P. behind the "Skwer HC Hoovera" - very close to start of old town). The menu was mainly varying types pierogies, which you order from a little window inside a quaint wooden-tabled interior. Yes, this is a local place - but that is its appeal! (I don't understand the one average review of this place...to each their own). I had the full order of pierogies that were made from Spinach, feta, cheddar cheese, pepper and topped with bacon because the extremely nice chef recommended them as her favorite. Great recommendation. The pierogies and a 7up was 17.50 zl. This was more than enough for me for supper, but there are larger and smaller portions available for not too much more or less, respectively. I wish I had found this place earlier during my time in Warsaw. Go, give it a try. Don't be shy (they have polish and English menus).

1 Thank Jadedbyidiocy
Pattaya, Thailand
“Fantastic pierogis, great price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We have eaten at many of these types of restaurants and this might be the best of the lot. The sampler filled up both of us.

• Visited October 2013
San Francisco, California
“Best pierogi and zurek in Poland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

This hole-in-a-wall restaurant is located in an incredibly atmospheric, vaulted-ceiling series of chambers just a block away from the Royal Castle in Warsaw's restored and rebuilt Old Town (Stare Miasto). Come here to have a wonderful assortment of pierogi, and the best zurek (sour rye soup) imaginable. We've tried the pierogi and zurek in many restaurants and milk bars in Wroclaw, Warsaw and Krakow, and I have to say the best was what we had at this little place. I particularly recommend the spicy red "Diavolo" pierogi -- they are scruptuous, and I've been unable to find them anywhere else. But the zurek served here is on another plane altogether. It was absolutely soul-satisfying. For reasons I can't articulate, it seemed better, richer, creamier, and more gratifying than any of the scores of other examples we've sampled elsewhere in Poland. It comes simply served, in a cup, without the bread bowl. Do not fail to try it here.
And did I mention the prices? They are very, very, very low. What more could you ask for?

• Visited September 2013