“Good for kids and teenagers”

Copernicus Science Centre
Ranked #11 of 369 things to do in Warsaw
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I was here twice, Oct '12 and recently in Oct '13.

Actually both times I wanted to visit the Planetarium, and both times I failed.

The 1st time the guard near the Planetarium told us it was closed due to some unforeseen/unplanned business meeting (?). It was not announced on their website, neither were we informed before we got inside, and we bought the tickets for the Planetarium already, which were not refunded. Not a good example of customer service there, while staff overall is nice, friendly and speak English quite OK.

The 2nd time, we made it to the door of the Planetarium, where a guard told us we need to go back to the ticket desk and purchase a separate ticket (which meant another 30 minutes wait) to go inside the actual Planetarium. We decided not to do this.

There's an observation floor, which could be great, if it were not for the fact that all windows have been intensely covered by dotted stickers (?), hence blocking the potential nice panorama over the city and Vistula river banks.

The actual Centre has different parts. The 1st part is great for kids (history/art/commerce/science related), while the second part is more suited towards teenagers, with different semi/popular-scientific psychologic/cultural/political/personality tests and facts.

Doing the whole Centre and taking some tests, some of which will surely appeal to different kinds of visitors, can take you easily 3-4 or more hours, as there is so much stuff. Both times, at the end we skipped a lot of potentially interesting stuff, as there's simply too much to see and do.

Near the Planetarium there's a nice little coffee bar ith decent prices, if you are in need of a refreshment and break.

Also, be sure to hang your jacket in the wardrobe before you hit the cash desk, as the wardrobe is situated right next to the entry. We were already inside, jacket and all, before we found that out. Waiting time can easily amount up to 30 minutes or more, due to the inefficiently organised cash desks and the large influx of groups with kids, especially so during the weekends (Saturdays!).

Exit is strangely enough through the shop and you get a wristband and a card at the cashdesk, of which the card must be returned at the exit and I believe can be used to sum up some of the results of the tests you took inside, but I didn't get the exact hang of this.

2  Thank H. v
There are newer reviews for Copernicus Science Centre

Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is the most interactive Science museum I have ever been to. The children were an absolute joy to watch. I enjoyed taking my turn to twist, pull, turn etc. Then there was a section for over 14s. This was quieter but really interesting too. The explanations that went with the exhibits were clear and short. With or without kids this is well worth a trip, I had a rainy day so did it then.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

It is my favorite museum in Warsaw, if you love science and or psicology this is the best place for you. i sent 5 hours inside but it was not enough as there are many things left that i wanted to see. It costs about 5 euros that for poland is not too chip but for sure you will not regret about it!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I was hoping to find a museum of some sort but this is not quite of this place is about. This large building is packed with activities for children, many of which adults will enjoy of course. If you're alone, with your other half or with a group of adults, you can safely skip this. If you're with children, it's unmissable.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

I echo all the positive things that are said - there's something to interest everyone, big and small; there are lots of interactive displays, lots of experiments to try, lots of staff to explain or to show how things work, activities to extend the experience. A few exhibits were not working but i"d say it was only a small percentage. I was there on a Saturday morning and it was noisy but bearably so. And although there were lots of people, we rarely had to wait for more that a few minutes to try any of the interactive exhibits - and there was always something else free in the area to try while waiting. BUT this is achieved by carefully limiting the number of visors in the centre at any one time. So it's great if you are one of the ones inside - it's not such good news if you are outside waiting go get in. When we arrived (about 11.00) the queues were already starting to form although we only waited about 10-15 minutes but by the time we left a few hours later, the wait time had grown considerably. True, they had staff trying to entertain the queue but ...
So I strongly advise - GO EARLY OR PRE-BOOK!