“"Closer" to Fine” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bellini Trattoria - CLOSED

Bellini Trattoria
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Maryland
“"Closer" to Fine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013 via mobile

I bailed on a free walking tour of old Warsaw when I got hungry and chilly at noon. I was going to pop into the first pizza joint I saw, but I did a quick Yelp search first, and saw that Bellini received 4.5 stars, and it was only about 100 ft down the road.

Yes, the restaurant is on a very touristy plaza, with school kids running everywhere, but you wouldn't know it once you got inside. The restaurant is in the basement--2 flights down from street level--of a lovely brick building. The dining room consists of four parallel rooms separated by archways. One room, closed off when i was there, appears to share the wine cellar. At the other end, and at the other end of the maturity spectrum, is a room with toys designed for kids.

Before I noticed the layout and ambience, I knew that the hostess/waitress looked like someone, but couldn't put my finger on it. Eventually I realized that she looked like Natalie Portman's character from the film "Closer." That's reason enough to dine here, but the food was really quite good. The minestrone soup was hot, full of veggies, and just had a bit of bite. The pizza margarita was large, tasty, and crisp. I washed it all down with green tea, but if you want sugar or milk, you better ask for it. There's none on the table.

Since there were only two other parties in the restaurant, it was very quiet. After glancing at my Warsaw guidebook, I took in the fine brickwork, arches, alcoves, and high, angled mirrors (see photos). Unfortunately, after being served, I didn't see much of the Natalie lookalike. I tracked her down in the kitchen about 30 minutes after finishing the meal--I was in no hurry and appreciated the respite--and paid the check: 50 zl including tip. If you find yourself in the heart of the tourist district at mealtime, this is a solid choice.

Visited April 2013

• Polish first
Espoo, Finland
“Excellent food and service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

During our weekend stay in Warsaw, this has been the best experience so far. Trattoria Bellini offered very good food in a relaxed, but also sophisticated atmosphere and professional service in English.

I had their tartare di manzo (beef tartar) which has been the best one I've eaten for a long time. My main course of rabbit cooked in oven was not as good, but I still think it was decent. I would have wanted more creative seasoning or a more special sauce.

I also tasted their salami pizza ordered by my brother which was terrific.

For dessert we ordered their tiramisu recommended by the waiter. Maybe a bit too moistured, but I still loved it.

We had two bottles of good Italian wine for about 2x70 PLN which is quite reasonable at least compared to prices in Finland, so we were satisfied.

The restaurant is centrally located on the Old Town Square, but it was still quite well hidden with almost no signs outside. Definitely worth our visit, and I will come back for sure. There were so many tempting choices on the menu ....

• Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“What a pleasure and a feast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is by far the best restaurant I visited during my 11 days travel through Poland! The building dated back some 500 years, being a church, a wine house and now a restaurant is only a pleasure to visit. The staff here is fantastic! The place is so clean that one can eat of the toilet floor!
I had the BEST goose livers with apple and onion that I ever had in my life! This is the one item on the menu that I HIGHLY recommend! For mains I had the duck in honey which was also very nice!
I would return to Warsaw just to eat here again!
Well done to Magda Gesseler and the team at this EXCELLENT restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Great restaurant in a great location!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

First of all this restauraunt is just right beside the old market square in Warsaw, so if You want to combine a walk around old city and having a late dinner this is the place to visit. The interiour and the atmosphere is really good. We arrived late, some 30 min. Before closure, but the waiters were really welcome and we didn't feel any rush to leave. The waitress was really caring and polite. The wine selection was huge for very reasonable prices. It will be some 60 EUR bill for a full course with a bottle of wine for 2 persons, but it is worth every penny!

Antwerp, Belgium
“Decent Italian food in very touristic environment”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2013 via mobile

Wantingto try an other restaurant than the overpriced Fukiera from theMagda Gessler-consortium, we chose Bellini for a quick lunch. On the main marketplace of the Old Town, you descend the stairs of a medieval house to the cellar where the 2 rooms of this Italian restaurant are located. Nice view to the wine cellar (with a private dining table) that is defintely much too warm to keep wine. Service was friendly but rather unprofessional. We had just ordered a glass of prosecco as aperitif, but before we could taste it, the spaghetti all'arrabiata and the penne Alfredo arrived alreasy together with our bottle of Montepulciano. Both pasta dishes were correct, but not special. Complimentary bread and grissini were offered and the bill wasdecent for a Gessler-restaurant (but wines are solidly priced...).