“The place to stay in Warsaw!!”

Hotel Bristol, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Warsaw
Ranked #6 of 129 Hotels in Warsaw
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Le Meridien Bristol in Warsaw was the best Hotel where we stayed during our 10 days trip to Poland ! We booked a Executive room directly with the hotel and had a Summer package rate which included the breakfast for us 3. I do not understant the complains about the room from some of the previous reviews! Our room was incredible...enormous( as well as the bathroom!),with beautiful furniture and the most comfortable bed that we have had in any hotel! The extra-bed for my son was comfortable too in opposite to the most of the hotels where we have stayed before. Everything was spotless clean.The room was also completly quiet...we did not hear any noise during our 3 nights stay.
The breakfast was fantastic,served in a beautiful breakfast room,with a great selection of cold and hot food.
The location was THE BEST in Warsaw! The Hotel Bristol is located in the most beautiful part of this surprisingly beautiful city!! We walked everywhere...to the Castle, to the Warsaw lovely rynek,to the Royal route and even to the Palace of Culture!
We asked for a limousine transfer from the airport as we arrive late and the service was excellent. The driver , who was very kind,wait for us on the arrivals hall with a placard with our name and the hotel name. Warsaw is one of the fews European capitals where is still possible to stay in the best hotel ,eat in the best restaurants and ask for the best services without becaming poor...hehe
I have no doubt...Le Meridien Warsaw is the Place to stay...I am looking forward to retur!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank margarida
Write a ReviewReviews (2,214)

Reviewed 2 October 2009

We arrived in Warsaw September 1.
I had been in contact with the hotel directly and was given the discription for the "club rooms". That is what I reserved.
Upon arrival I was told that the Club Floor no longer existed--nor had it for several months.
Odd--I had triple checked not long before departure.
The girl at the front desk was "snippy". I told her that I assumed we would be given a comparable (executive) room. She just repeated that there was no more Club Floor and we would have a nice room. No-language was not a problem, she understood exactly what I said.
I knew what was coming-----
Our Bell Boy took us to a very small room with a half-window-----not kidding, one lower half of a window that was disguised by a decorative shade.
He knew I wasn't happy with the room but I knew that it would take a big "ugly American" scene to have things changed--and that would get our trip off to a bad start.
However---within minutes the Bell Boy returned and told us a much nicer room was available for a higher rate. I called the manager who repeated the offer--I told her that I felt that room should be offered as a complimentary upgrade as the room we confirmed was not there. She said that she wouldn't/couldn't do that.
We call that "bait and switch".

As all of you have--I have traveled a lot. Theses instances are few and far between.
But---with Poland working to increase its tourism--this was a poor move.

Upon leaving I told our driver of this disappointment. He told me that the hotel had been going downhill for the past 10 years since the previous manager left. Most of the employees are not "fully" trained. The old manager is returning to "fix" things.

Pros:
Perfect location. Most of the others are in the central (more business) district.
We walked right into Old Town from the front door.
Breakfast: Very good--and nice staff.
Concierge: Extremely helpful.
Bar: Old fashioned with piano music and light food. Quite good.

By the way---the half-windows are exclusive to the 6th floor.

I am sorry to have to write this review---I had really looked forward to staying at this hotel.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MaryPasadena
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The service was excellent at this hotel. The location is nice, near the old town. The breakfast was amazing! We upgraded our room to a small suite for only 25 euros per night and it was really worth it. The hotel also recommened a very nice restaurant only 10 minutes from the city center by car. The hotel is old and charming and I would recommend this hotel for both leisure and business trips.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 September 2009

Shabby-chic can only take you so far, dear Hotel!

Oh my - this was a disappointment indeed. I heard about the bad of Meridien Bristol, i just didn't realise it was SO VERY BAD INDEED. :-( It is really sad to see a hotel of this potential and supposed "calibre" be reduced to this.

Where to begin?

1) change the shower curtain - after a long, hot summer, the mildew on the shower curtain builds up. throw it away or hang up a new one
2) fix the drippy toilet - i was in an executive room with an "entrance," separate office, bedroom and toilet. i could still hear the drippy toilet when i closed my bedroom door.
3) wipe up the pigeon poo - my executive room had a french balcony door that couold be opened up somewhat. Opting to bypass the air-con, i reached to open the door -- until i saw the piles of pigeon dung collected on the ledge.
4) improve the lighting in standard rooms - having started out in a regular standard room, i had no choice but to request a better room with a real desk and a real working light. the standard room had a big, sad, ol' table lamp with ripped shade.
5) get real working chairs at all desks - ditto number 4, but instead i worked from a sad, ol dining chair with dirty upholstry instead.
6) update the decor - stuck in the 80s.
7) freshen up the gym - 5-star hotel with a bedroom sized "gym" with low ceiling? Swimming pool with stains along the tiles? I can't believe they haven'tnoticed this in the past.
8) INTERNET CHARGE!? ridiculous for a business hotel. Just highway robbery. This is a STANDARD amenity for any business-traveller.

Pluses?

a) staff - friendly, knowledgable and quick to bump me into a better room
b) location - can't beat being on the promenade.
c) history - love Warsaw, love Poland, love Poles. This is one special city which has really captured my heart, and you can only imagine the unique history srurrounding you at this hotel.

Tips:

i) easy to take the clean, regular and safe bus directly to/from airport.
ii) Dinner at the 3 Chefs - 2-minute walk away. Open dining hall with a small, but delicious meal of traditional Polish favorites. Lovely staff, attentive, kind and super-friendly. A real delight to break the monotony of a business-trip to a very business-y city.

Hope Bristol regains it's former glory very soon. She must have been increidble in her hey-day.. Now it just sad and dated.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
4  Thank YellowGrrl
Reviewed 17 September 2009

Having seen the images of the Bristol on the internet and my guidebook describing it as a 5-star hotel with plenty of Old World Charm, I was eager to spend a night there during my three night stay in Poland. However, while from the outside the hotel is certainly grand and the front desk staff was friendly (even "educating" me on which of the free chocolates I should take) I was utterly disappointed with the condition of the hotel's common spaces and in particular my room. While the room was generous in size, it looked extremely dated. For example, the furniture was old and rickety and both the furniture and the carpet was stained--and this was AFTER the hotel was supposedly renovated. Moreover, having stayed at a number of high end hotels I can honestly say the hotel does not deserve its 5-star ranking.

The next time I am in Warsaw I will pass on staying at the Bristol and choose instead the Le Regina or the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank 3plums
Reviewed 24 August 2009

This was my first time back to Warsaw in 3 years and I was happy to see that the street that the Bristol is on has been changed to a pedestrian-only (mostly) area. The cafe had tables outside which it did not have before. As far as 5-star hotels go in Warsaw, this one is the best for the prices you can find on-line. The building has character, the rooms are big/clean, the staff is usually very good, the location cannot be beat (well, one other hotel can but it is not worth the price) and if you are a breakfast person, the Bristol has a big one. It is the best place in Warsaw...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank kobekeith
Reviewed 13 August 2009

This hotel is just perfect - well located, comfortable (our room was HUGE), quiet, and full of charm. I can't recommend it more.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple