“Fading Hotel but still has some charm”

Sofitel Warsaw Victoria
Ranked #8 of 127 Hotels in Warsaw
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here during March 2014, and were upgraded to the Napoleon Suite which according to the staff was the best room in the hotel. When we walked in, it was truly amazing in terms of its impact, the size of a large apartment and you could imagine some state guests visiting here in the past.

Inside the room was a giant table, three televisions, a hallway, and most incredibly an in room sauna and jacuzzi. The bathroom and sauna was opulent and extravagant, and much more than I was expecting for the price I paid.

However, after being in the room a little bit, we noticed a few minor details such frayed chairs, smell of smoke in one part of the room, some tv noise from the adjoining room, etc . All minor gripes, but ones that I have not experienced at other sofitels with the exception of the Sofitel Fauboug Paris (in my opinion the worst sofitel, but thats a different post!)

The staff are friendly, the area safe and close to all the main sights. I sadly missed out on the pool but apparently it is incredible.

The breakfast was distinctly average, and a bit of a let down as we had to wait a long time for coffee and it seemed very understaffed.

If this hotel had some investment to address some of the tattered edges , it would be a world class hotel, but as it remains at the moment it is a bit tired.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Concierge_Sofitel, Guest Relations & Concierge at Sofitel Warsaw Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear NapoleonSnow,
Thank you very much for choosing our Sofitel Warsaw during your recent visit in Warsaw and for sharing your opinion with us on Tripadvisor.com.
I am happy to learn about the upgrade you have received allowing you to stay in our Napoleon Suite, known by many top politicians, show business stars and other preeminent Gusts. And I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the comfort of this spacious suite with a private sauna and Jacuzzi.
Also, I’d like to apologize for the service shortcomings you have experienced. The long wait for a coffee in the morning or some “tattered edges” is definitely not the experience we wish to provide. Therefore I am more than happy to inform that we are now in the process of remodeling that includes all public areas: lobby, restaurants, fitness areas, conference rooms and the main entrance.
Taking into account that you appreciated the friendliness of our staff and our excellent location, really do hope to have the chance of welcoming you back soon and presenting you our progress.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

The Sofitel Victoria is located near Old Town, Tomb of the Unknown Solider and a short drive or walkable distance to many other sites and restaurants. Room was clean, large and quiet. Lobby bar a relaxing environment. A not-to-be-missed feature is the wonderful pool, steam room snd spa on the lower level. The breakfast buffet was also outstanding.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Concierge_Sofitel, Concierge at Sofitel Warsaw Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay in Sofitel Warsaw Victoria and for taking the time to share your opinion with other TripAdvisor users.

As the hotel's Concierge I am very happy that you have taken advantage of our hotel's wonderful location. We are located right at the very heart of the City, halfway through between the Old Town and the modern Center of the city. This location offers walking distance to all the major tourist attractions, but at the same time it offers peace and quite being in the neighborhood of a the largest square in Warsaw and a beautiful park.

Just like Yourself I am a big fan of our swimming pool area. It has been renovated recently, just like the rest of the hotel and it came out amazing. It has a mirrored ceiling as well as colored lighting, which together create an ambience like no other. For our guests it serves as perfect place to relax after a hard day at work or a long day at discovering our beautiful city.

I hope you will visit us again soon!

Kind Regards,
Adrian Kołba
Guest Relations & Concierge

Reviewed 13 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Victoria (always tell this name to your cab driver, as they mostly know the hotels by their old names) for 3 nights on a long weekend city trip.
From the first moment we entered the lobby it was a wonderful experience. We arrived on an early flight around 9:30 am, but still we were checked in immediately. They even
upgraded us to a Deluxe room. The staff was always very friendly and helpful with everything.
Our room was located on the 5th Floor (a renovated floor) facing the the Pilsudski Square, thus providing a great view. The room itself was very spacious and nicley furnished.
(Small writing desk, a large table, two comfy chairs and a daybed at the large window). The beds were wonderful and there was enough storage space for everything. Complimentary tea/coffee maker and bottled water in the fridge,
which was empty elsewise, so we could use it for our own purposes. No minibar items, but the roomservice delivers fast at very reasonable prices with no service charge. (definitely a better deal than
the usual minbar stuff).
The bathroom was spacious enough for two - marble sink and big rainfall shower. L'occitane en provence ammenities which were replenished daily.

The swimming pool area in the basement is nicely decorated, with some marble and wood touches. Complimentary lemon water is also provided. The pool itself is large enough for some real swimming.
We didn't do any spa treatments, so no information about that.

To sum up, it was a wonderful experience at all levels. Sometimes you really get the 5* experience you are promised!

Room Tip: Try to get a renovated room with a view on the Pilsudski Square.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Concierge_Sofitel, Guest Relations & Concierge at Sofitel Warsaw Victoria, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear Torpole,
Thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Warsaw for your recent stay in Warsaw and for taking the time to share your experience with other Tripadvisor users. Your opinion is very important for us and helps us to continuously improve our service.
I remain at your entire disposal for all further assistance you may require and I look forward to welcoming you again,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I stayed here over a recent weekend for my first ever visit to Warsaw. The location of the hotel is superb just a few steps from the main street that runs between the old and new towns both of which are beautiful and well worth seeing.

The reception staff both on check in and check out were friendly, personable and helpful taking time to make sure everything was understood and in order. Breakfast in the Kitchen Gallery was very good with lots of helpful staff around. The food offering was comprehensive and over three mornings I had three completely different breakfasts. My only grouch would be that the juice is served at room temperature rather than chilled but that is a small matter. My room was kept clean and tidy each day and things were left where I put them rather than where the room service staff would have liked to put them. All in all great.

Now we come to the less good part. I also used the spa seeking a massage after a hard couple of days on my feet sightseeing. When I went to book I can only say I was greeted with something verging on hostility. I suggested two times and was told neither was available. What the receptionist forgot to notice was her diary was open and I could see it and the times did not appear to be booked. I suggested a third time and it was booked with an air of bad grace. I should have just changed my mind and not bothered. When I arrived for the massage I was 'bustled' in to the room by the masseur. The best word I can use to describe him would be brusque. He didn't stop to ask me about any injuries or health conditions, I was just ordered to 'strip and lie on my back'. Again, I should have stopped then. The massage was awful, if the masseur was trained he kept it well hidden. At the end he said something like 'that's it' and left the room banging the door behind him. I got up to leave and as I exited the room was immediately presented with the chit to sign for charging. I signed but I should not have done on principle. The experience was awful.

I would rate the hotel as five star up to the point of the spa 'experience' which I would give one star so sorry to the rest of the staff but that was so bad it makes the whole thing a three star experience.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are a little prone to noise as roads surround the hotel, one of the nights was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank longhaulfromlondon

Dear Longhaulfromlondon,
Thank you for having chosen the Sofitel Warsaw for your recent stay in Warsaw and for taking the time to leave your comments on Tripadvisor website. Your opinion is very important for us and helps us to continuously improve our service.
I’m very happy that you appreciate our location which combines easy access to history and modernity and that you liked the comfort we provide. And I especially thank you for your positive note regarding our staff. It is very pleasant and motivates us to become even better in the future.
The experience you have had in our relaxation area is definitely not the one we serve to our Guests. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and I will make sure that the staff we have there is professionally trained to provide professional and friendly service to everyone. Please accept my apologies for what you have described and let me assure you that it won’t happen again.
I remain at your entire disposal for any further assistance, with kindest regards,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Generally hotel lobby lounges may not strike one as a "recommendable" destination... But on a hot day, if you've been walking around in the very beautiful (very BIG!) Ogrod Saski Warsaw Park (adjacent to The Great National Theatre) , & feel the need for a relaxing coffee tea or cool drink WITHOUT having to keep going until you reach the pedestrianised 'main street', slip into the uber-sleek Sofitel on the corner near the Park's main entrance. In true keeping with that chain's dedication to high end interior design, you will enjoy the stunning decor, cool ambience, AND one of Warsaw's best espresso coffees! So OK, @ 25 zloty it' not the cheapest.. But it IS one of the best. Strong, smooth without the SLIGHTEST hint if bitterness, it's better than you often get in Italy!! & even here in Warsaw it's easy to be charged higher for rubbish-& guys , what's the point of THAT?!

Dear John N,
We are very pleased to read your enthusiastic review of our Victoria Lunge, one of our recently remodeled outlets we are proud of. We put enormous value to the quality of our product and we strive to satisfy the most demanding clientele and provide everyone with magnifique memories. Therefore we find your words very much rewarding and motivating us to become even better in the future.
Sofitel Warsaw Victoria Hotel is a landmark of Warsaw, known for its luxury services since 1970s and it is now receiving a number of new loyal Guests appreciating its new design and excellent staff.
We are looking forward to serving you again soon!

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Stayed a few nights. Found the location of the hotel, rooms and service to be excellent. We were on a tour so didn't have choice of rooms. Our view was not the greatest as we were on the third floor and faced another building. You get what you paid for. The breakfast was included in our rate. Choices included everything from fresh fruit to omelette's.

Room Tip: We were on a tour.
1  Thank Steven B

Dear Steven B,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.com. We value the opinion of our Guests very much.
I especially want to thank you for your kind words on our staff. It’s our aim to provide our Guests with memorable experiences and we are so very happy that we have managed to provide you with magnifique memories.
Please visit us again soon to see some other of our rooms. We have wonderful rooms overlooking the Square and the Park just in front of the hotel and I am sure that you will like these even more.