“Westin Warsaw Experience”

Ranked #11 of 123 Hotels in Warsaw
somewhere
“Westin Warsaw Experience”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed at The Westin Warsaw for four nights with my husband. Choosing a hotel for our first visit to Warsaw was crucial. We trusted that Westin won't let us down.

Check-in went smoothly. After settling in our room, we decided to go out immediately and discover the city. To our surprise, our room door did not close/lock at all! Card key works but does not keep the door locked as you leave. It made us wonder how many previous occupants of this room thought that their room was safely locked as they left their room? Basic and big security risk! We immediately called the front dest to inform the matter. Our call automatically went to an "express service" personnel. We were told that they will send someone at once to check the matter. We waited and waited and waited for around 20mins. No one came. I decided to personally come down to the front dest to inform the matter. My husband had to stay inside the room to watch over our things while I went downstairs since we could not leave our room with all our things inside knowing that the room door does not lock at all. The lady at the side desk at the lobby made a call to the hotel maintenance. After around 10mins, two hotel maintenance personnel check the door. They confirmed that the door is out of order and will take a week or so to fix. They suggested that we change rooms. One of the maintenance personnel personally accompanied me to the front desk to request for a change of room. The male front desk personnel arranged for us another room. As my husband and I were packing our things to transfer to another room, another hotel personnel came to check the door. This time it was a man in suit with electronic devices. He did some few "checks and programming" then he said that the door is now ok. I tested the door lock from outside; it locked after around 10sec and upon re-trying, it did not lock at all just like the original problem. We were given the option to stay in the same room or move. We said that we'd rather move since we already re-packed our things and we have been given a new room anyway. We thought that no way would we trust a hotel room door that locks occasionally. We would not risk leaving all our belongings to such a room with no sense of security at all.

The following day, we noticed that our bed was made but sheets were not changed. Instead, a printed note card appeared on top of the bed saying that "due to your request, we did not change your bed liners. If you want us to change your bed liners tomorrow, leave this card on your top of your bed". Hmmm... Whose request? We did not request for such thing! The following day, we accidentally found another printed note card under one of the side table phones; this time it was for a change of bed liners for the following morning. We realize how the hotel is exerting efforts to operate ecologically friendly, but they should be consistent about it. Speaking of operating ecologically friendly, their shower has two shower heads which give out more water than what could be normally required.

In this progressive world where everyone wants to stay connected and informed with the rest of the world, internet connection is very important. To our big disappointment, a five star hotel like Westin Warsaw does not provide complimentary internet access to their guests! Instead, they charge 77 PLN per day for wireless internet connection. If it's even a consolation, they offer free 1hr wi-fi access at the hotel lobby. Even though it is basically limitless, you just have to be enslaved with the idea to ask for access code coupons from the bar and feed a new access code everytime your 1hr access expires. Does Westin really expect their guests to hang around the hotel lobby and bar just to access some internet service?! How inconveniently thought about!

I called the front desk to ask about a very popular tourist destination in Warsaw-- The Multimedia Fountain Park. We have read information about the park in locally printed tourist guidebooks, but it so happened that we had two confusing/contradicting information when there is a full multimedia show in the park. We thought that the hotel personnel would be competent to answer such basic question. The hotel's guidebook even encouraged guests to freely contact the front desk regarding interesting places to visit in Warsaw. A friendly male front desk
personnel answered my call and did not seem to understand what the question was all about. He connected me to a Westin Services personnel who was equally ignorant about the matter. My call bounced back to the front desk and the inquiry continued. To my surprise, this front dest personnel said that he has never heard of the Multimedia Fountain Park. He asked me to spell it out so that he could search it out from the internet. After giving him more hints, he was able to learn more about the Multimedia Fountain Park. Back to the question which I wanted to clarify. This male front desk personnel could not even distinguish the difference between the two contradictory information I was trying to clarify. Even worse, he "competently" answered me that the fountain show was over already at that time since it was already from 3:30pm to 4:00pm. At that point, I realized that he did not understand the multimedia fountain at all. With utmost pity for the hotel personnel, I explained to him that there is no way that a multimedia fountain show using lights and lasers could have taken place at 3:30pm. At some point, he corrected himself saying another time. To make the long story short, I was not able to get the clarification that I was wanting to get. Instead, I wasted half an hour talking to this front desk personnel who was so incompetent dealing with basic questions. Is it a question of language incompetence or lack of basic knowledge about the city? I admire him though for his patience and for apologizing for the frustration caused to the hotel guest. As a side note, this information search could have been left to the hotel guest if only the hotel had complimentary internet access to their guests.

On hotel housekeeping: There was one instance where one of our used towel was just transferred back to the bathroom hook to dry. Isn't it so that used towels are changed everyday? Housekeeping should be more careful not to leave used linen mixed with clean ones.

One of the amenities of the hotel room is the radio alarm clock. On our first day, we noticed that the time was set one hour behind. Could it have been the previous hotel occupant who set the clock? Is there anyone from the hotel (housekeeping for example) responsible to check that this device is in "proper order" before a guest arrives?

One more thing, television channels in the rooms are so limited especially for a non-Polish speaking person. Polish channels show programs in English but monotonously dubbed in Polish. Dubbed Polish channels are more annoying than pleasant to watch. There are of course other channels in English, but for a non-business person on vacation, I could not care less. There is only one HBO channel that shows movies in English. It's good enough even if it had Polish subtitles.

On the brighter side, we had a quiet room. Breakfast was good although selection was the same every single morning. The breakfast hall staff were accommodating; creates a good impact first thing in the morning.

Check-out was a breeze as one front desk personnel efficiently took care of our taxi reservation the day before our departure. Actual check-out went well too.

Hopefully Westin Warsaw would take this feedback constructively and learn from them. It is our hope that they keep up to the five-star hotel rating that they are being advertised to prospective guests.

TIPS/ WARNINGS: Warsaw has their second metro line under construction at the moment and will take some time to finish. This makes moving around to and from the Westin hotel very difficult. If you are a person who likes to walk, beware of narrow and dirty alleys which you will be forced to take to reach Westin. Take this into consideration. If you are patient enough to seriously learn the possible bus connections around the hotel, go ahead. It's not impossible, but of course less headache is better.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vict0randr0se
stephan s, General Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear Rose and Victor,
many thanks for taking the time to give such a detailed feedback in regards to your stay. First of all I am happy you mentioned not only the things which obviously went wrong and I am happy to see all the positive commnets as well. However, I sincerly apologize afoe all the inconveniences and troubles you had especially about your arrival experience with the not properly working door. I fully agrre that Safety & security for our guests and associates is one of the top priorities in our daily operation and be assured all doors have been checked meanwhile and are working correctly. seems there was a problem with the electronic lock. Great that you have been patient enough till the issues was sold and it should not be you to follow up with our front Office or the Westin Service Express. here all your commnets have been shared with the teams and further training has been carried out already. Same goes for our Engineering department and Security to ensure proper communication and actions.
In regards to the Heavenely Shower Heads I am happy to inform you that due to our endless efforts to save water and be an ecologically friendly hotel/company the shower heads will be changed completely in all guest rooms which is a serious investment and committment. This will apply for all Westin Hotels latest by end of 2013.
In general I ahev involved myself to avoid any miscommunication between pour guests and our associates and we are taking your commnets very seriously to improve our customer approach and actions. A full list of Warsaw attractions, and you have visited almost all of them, have been put together again and new attractions like the multi media fountains are added.
Dear Rose and Victor, again I would like to apologize for the shortfall in services during you arrival and the unprofessional support in regards to the sightseeing.
Hopefully your travel will bring you again to Warsaw in the future to see this vibrant city with the new underground and other attractions.
Best regards
Stephan Sieberg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Henley in Arden
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Just stayed at the Westin for a weekend break in Warsaw. My husband stays here with work and liked it for it's size and staff. Having joined him for a weekend I can agree completely. The hotel is not too big and this gives it a cosy feel. The staff were very friendly with the concierge booking restaurant tables and taxis for us. The hotel bar drinks were expensive, but that was to be expected. The beds were sooo comfortable, we had to drag ourselves out of bed. Very nice rooms with super bathrooms. We did not have breakfast here, preferring to get a danish and fruit from the local supermarket. The only downside, for me anyway, was the glass walled lift!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
stephan s, General Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear hsmith3001,

With pleausre I read your very positive comments and I am very happy that you had the opportunity to visit Warsaw with your husband over the weekend. Great to hear that you even had problems to leave our unique Westin Heavenly Bed in the morning and enjoyed the weekend in general very much. Did you know that these beds are for purchase to our Westin guests ? Greetings from Warsaw and I do hope you will visit us again.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed 17 August 2012

As a starwood gold I prefer hotels of the alliance and above all the Westin mostly because I like the beds. Internet was free for me but I heard others that paid 70 pln complaining. Since its a common complain and a justified one I can see two solutions: a) use a different way of measuring eg counter for 24 actual hours spread in the whole stay and b) a package for guest staying 72 hours or more.
The rooms are big, I had a corner room on 13th floor with an office, the bathrooms are spotless. Windows will not open and smoking is prohibited. The minibar is automatic and has no space forthe guest in case he wants to keep something in it. This is very bad.
Receptionists and the other staff were nice and helpful .
Regarding the restaurant the food is nice and prices are high. Sadly I would recommend to avoid it for other reasons that I plan to discuss this with the hotel manager and only him since I am almost sure he is not aware about some of the staff and how they operate.
The elevator is an attraction !!! It works with a keycard thus if you have a guest you must go and pick him/her up. I agree with this policy since it prohibits suspicious people from wondering around. I also agree with policy to give Internet access to customers of the bar and I don't understand some of the reviewers saying that this is unacceptable; unacceptable is to sit in a cafe and not drinking anything!!! Btw imagine if the access was free to anyone how many ppl would be there just to use the wifi ( kids from the neighborhood on skateboards for example).
Nearby are some good restaurants and coffee shops to visit. I mentioned two in my other reviews of which the polish restaurant is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view and top floors have access to the exec lounge.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear metallica30,

I very much appreciate your valuable commnets especially in regards to internet use in our lobby and cafe. Ther are options for inhouse guest to purchse several differnet packages based on their individual needs and I will again talk to my Front Office Team to clearly explain all option upon check in. With all the compliments from your side I still would appreciate if you could get in tpouch with me to discuss the performance of our Fusion Restaurant and in particular the associates as mentioned. Hope to hear from you soon and welcome you again at your favorite hotel in Warsaw.
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

i stayed here for two weeks on business. The rooms are well equipped; the beds warrant particular mention as they're very comfortable. There was also a good selection of food at breakfast. The staff I interacted with were very friendly and helpful.

A couple of points for improvement:

(1) The daily rates for internet access are exorbidant. If you need it make sure your room rate includes it.
(2) The rates for breakfast are rather high. If you need it make sure your room rate includes it.
(3) The communications between the adjacent parking facilities and the hotel are poor and the rates are rather high.

Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear pargmatopian,
many thanks for your very nice and positive comments regarding your stay. Please be assured that we have different packages of internet use to choose from especially for our longstaying guests. Maybe this has not been offered to you correctly and I apologize that we have failed to support you enough in regards to the private parking opposite the hotel. We definitely will get in contact with the operator to ensure smooth communication between our guests, hotel and the parking. Appreciate very much this valuable feedback.Hope to welcome you again to The Westin Warsaw.
On the road again
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Rooms are now above par especially the suites. Corner rooms with views on Platinum level are very nice. The club for Platinum members has been improved and the staff are quite friendly and helpful. They just put in all new equipment in the fitness center so that is very nice. Instead of pulling every last nickel out of the place the owner seems to realize to be a success he must reinvest in capital improvements constantly. Hats off to them keep it clean and you will get return platinum guests like me that spend tons of money traveling. Only comment is time to simplify the WIFI sign on process as makes little sense to make it like a KGB sign on.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Wroclaw, Poland
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Westin Hotel is a 5 star hotel located in the heart of Warsaw, near the Palace of Culture and Science. 15 minutes walk away is the Saxon Gardens, Tomb of the Unknown soldier and the Presidential Palace. Rooms at the Westin Hotel are very large and spacious, equipped with a flat LCD TV. The hotel is not available free wireless internet and swimming pool, which should be standard for the 5 stars. The advantage is a very good breakfast buffet.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
rafina
Reviewed 9 August 2012

A very nice 5* hotel with a very rich buffet breakfast.The only minus I could report is the distance of the hotel from the center of the Old Town (about 1,4 kilometers ).Ofcourse taxis are easily obtained and within 7-10 minutes you are in the center.The cost of the taxi varies between 4 and 6 Euros.!!!!

Room Tip: The elevator offers a nice view of the town whilst going on the top floors!!!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends