“What a shambles” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 123 Hotels in Warsaw
Sussex
“What a shambles”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

Where to begin - I slept well, the beds are very comfortable everything else however is quite poor.

The shower tried to kill me! Water temperature randomly fluctuated between extremely hot to icy cold. Problem reported more than once but never resolved nor commented on.

Why dies the business centre close either at 16:00 or 18:30 on different days? Hotel has a business focus so this facility should be open at least to 22:00. Yes I know you can call for someone to let you in but once in you have to call again to get printing - why because they rip you off 20 euro cents per page!

wifi is free to anyone in lobby, bar, restaurant but they charge in room- another rip off.

Elevators, 20 floors but only 3 elevators result - long waits

Concierge - one man only doing taxis, bag store, advice etc. result - long delays, taxis take wrong customers = total chaos

This hotel is a complete shambles run by people with no thought if their customers only profit.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Chailey_Paul
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Chailey_Paul, thank you for your review and taking the time. I am very sorry that we have not met your expectations and my most sincere apologies for the issue with your shower and the water temperature. We are already looking into it and we are taking this very serious. In regards to the business center, true, we only open it during business hours, when it is most requested and outside these hours we open it any time on request. Most hotels today do not offer staffed business centers anymore and we are receiving very positive feedback from our guests for doing so. However, you will be happy to hear that we are working on a solution, and we will soon offer a Westin Dock in the hotel lobby, where guests will be able to use i.e. a computer and a printer 24/7 with easy access. IN reagrds to the Concierge, we do not offer a Concierge Service in the classic way - we have a Guest Service Express - the Door man and Porter you are refering to are usually 2-3 per shift. Again, I am very sorry that we have not met your expectations and I thank you for your stay with us. Best regards, be well, Stefan Friedl - Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

I had a wonderful six night stay here recently while in Warsaw for a conference that was down the street at the Hilton. I'm glad I stayed here and walked the 800m to the conference every day. Lovely hotel, friendly staff, incredible breakfast buffet (great value if booked as part of the room, a little expensive on its own). Wifi was strong throughout the hotel and the connection speed was fast (make sure you get a code from the front desk for a second device after you pay for wifi, it comes in handy ;-) ) Bed was comfy, my room on the 8th floor was super-quiet, loved the separate tub and shower, and that glass elevator is fun to ride. Highly recommended place to stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear DaveNS, Thank you very much for your great review and the positive feedback - especially about the internet, location and bath rooms. The evevators are quite famous in the city (do to the fact that they stared in some movies) and people from Warsaw bring their childen to see them and ask us for a ride. Hope to see you soon again in the not too distant future. Have a great day and thank you again, be well Stefan Friedl - Hotel Manager
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

This place should be classified as a suburban conference hotel... the kind you'd find by the airport. No way it's a Westin or anywhere near a 5-star property. They do, however, charge you like a five-star property.

$27 a day for internet? Yep. My $1,200/night room at the Four Seasons Geneva didn't charge that much for internet. And while it took all of 3 minutes waiting for a flight to download 100MB of my favorite TV show from iTunes, it's been five hours and I haven't gotten the same 100MB download speed. $27 a day for internet that can't download a TV show at a rate of one per day. Lovely.

How about $23 for a hamburger... plus tax... plus service charge... plus plus plus.

This hotel thinks it's in Hyde Park, London, not in the dodgy outskirts of Warsaw, Poland.

Location is horrible. You want a snack in the middle of the night... or even at 8pm on a Saturday? Have fun walking 1.5km past closed restaurants and convenience stores to wait in a 30-minute long line at Carrefour. There is absolutely NOTHING by this hotel. The staff insists it's "in the middle of the city", but when I went to one of two (hugely overpriced) restaurants nearby and asked why they were so slow on a Saturday night, the waitress replied "because we're so far away from the city center".

Want to walk to Old Town? 20 minutes... and I'm a fast walker (and enjoy walking). Make sure you don't fall into a pothole because the entire neighborhood is under construction. Unless you're in Warsaw to meet with people at Big 4 Accounting Firms, banks, and car companies, there is NOTHING to do nearby this hotel. N-O-T-H-I-N-G. There are restaurants nearby that CLOSE at 8pm on a Saturday night. Would a restaurant in the city center do that?!

Oh, I asked numerous people at the airport, train station, and hard Rock Cafe. NONE of them had ever even HEARD of the Westin hotel, no less could they help me find how to get there.

Staff attitude: Not great. English is mediocre among most staff members. It's good among the front desk and the manager. But the hotel permeates with the eastern European "it is not my problem" attitude. Nothing is their problem. Graffiti and dark sidewalks on the walk to the REAL city center? "Not my problem". Construction that makes getting to the hotel impossible if you ever decide to walk? "Not my problem". Nothing is their problem, which means your concerns won't be their problem.

Rooms aren't that great either. The bathroom is tiny. I've had bathrooms three times this size is 3.5 and 4 star Mercures. Come to think of it, the Mercure Hotel down the street - in the actual city center - looks nicer. The wood in the furniture is dated and looks like something from Swiss Family Robinson.

But again, they won't hesitate to charge you a king's ransom for their mediocre food and slow internet. Just don't expect them to EVER take responsibility for anything to goes wrong, any problem or dissatisfaction you have, or any problem with the hotel.

Remember, "it is not my problem".

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Andrew H
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 7 April 2014
Dear Andrew H, thank you for your very detailed review. Also I am quite sad to read all your comments, I am grateful that you took the time to write them down. Please be assured that I will discuss your feedback with the team and we will look into it. Just some comments from my side - the internet, yes, it is true, we do only offer free internet at certain room categories and in the public areas free of charge. The problems with your download are an isolate problem, I believe, else I would have heard about it from other guests as well - for sure you should not have been charged for this faulty service. I will look into this. My appologies for the inconvinience this has caused to you. You will be happy to read that we are working on a free internet solution, also our room rates are approximatly 10x lower than the hotel you mentioned. I am surprised about the comment about the Burgers, as we are running a Burger promotion at the moment, prices start from 29 PLN (less than 10 USD) to 56 PLN (18.50 USD) and so far we have only received commpliments. In general the prices for food are extreemly low compared to other European destinations. In reagrds to the location, the hotel is located a 5 min walk from the Golden Terrass Shoping Center, one of the most modern Malls in Europe, the Park, Museums can as well be reached easily by foot and yes, the location is as well ideal when doing business in Warsaw. Again, I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations and I thank you for your review. Be Well, Stefan Friedl - Hotel Manager
Malaga, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

no faults all with this hotel, lovely room with all you would expect from a Westin. . . Staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast had everything you could possibly want to start the day well. Easy to get to the old town and within easy reach of the railway station and the train to the airport. all in all a lovely visit to Warsaw made better by a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a high room facing the city for the views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Spainbear, thank you very much for your nice comments. After spending 3 years at the Westin Palace in Madrid I moved to Warsaw 10 weeks ago, it is especially nice to get encouraging words from Spain - muchisimas gracias y un buen fin de semana, Stefan Friedl - Hotel Manager
herzlia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014

we were at the hotel 26/3/14 celebrating our anniversary.The room was given to us early as we requested.the reception was great. a wonderful cake was sent to our room.
the room was excellent. and the bed...the most convinient ever seen in hotels.
great breakfast as well. D'ont miss it... the best in Warsaw.

Room Tip: just ask for high floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Dudi_Saar, thank you very much for your nice comments and thank you for having chosen the Westin Warsaw for your special anniversary. I hope you have only good memories - this is who it should feel. Please let me know when you are planing to come back ,,, maybe next year, same day? Just an idea. Very best regards from sunny Warsaw, always worth atrip, right? Be well Stefan Friedl, Hotel Manager
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

Well done when it comes to the customer service. Staff is very helpful and kind which is not our (Polish) forte, I am afraid.
I quite like the room which was spacious, nicely furnished. I liked the bathroom very much, the door were quite extraordinary and bathtub & a separate shower was a plus.
I like the lobby, restaurant and bar area.
Late check-out (until 3pm) very convenient and much appreciated.

Negatives:
Location - in my opinion there is no hotel in Warsaw that can win with Novotel, I am afraid.
No free internet in the room.
Gym facilities it is a bit of joke. Those facilities and sauna are being advertised on their webpage as 24h service however sauna was open only until 10pm, I was not able to use it at all.
It is a pity that this 5* hotel does not have a proper gym/swimming pool and as promised 24h sauna.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Lc1602, thank you for your review and thank you for your positive comments. Just a view words about location - as you know Warsaw is quite small compared to other European Capitals and it is very easy to get around - the Westin is only 5 Minutes’ walk from the Golden Terrass Shopping Center, the most modern in the City, same for the Main Station, the old town is, I agree a 20 min stroll (or a 3 GBP 4 Euro taxi ride, 2-3 minutes) - but it is a nice walk - and for business, there is hardly any better hotel than the Westin - but again I agree, it all comes down to personal preference. In regards to the Gym, which has been renovated last year, we receiving a lot of compliments, especially for the excellent equipment - it can be accessed with your keycard 24/7 - the sauna however cannot, it is only available during the times when staff is on duty, for security reasons it is not possible to operate the sauna during the night. I wish, too, we would have a pool, unfortunately it is not the case, however there is a public pool just across the street (not the same, i know, but an alternative). Please let me know when you are coming back to Warsaw until then, thanks again and best regards, Stefan Friedl - Hotel Manager
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2014

Got a good rate on this room well in advance for one night's stay.

Room was modern and comfortable - bed was particularly excellent. Nice bathroom too. Staff were good but the highlight for me was the great breakfast. There was a section for superfoods which was delicious as well as "good for you". Presentation was wonderful.

Hotel is in a good location for the new town and the old town is easy to get to with a 20 minute walk. The big mall and train station are a street away or so too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Stefan F, Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Leh2111, thank you for your very nice review. I am very happy to hear that you liked our "heavenly beds" - Westin has been a trendsetter in the entire hotel industy by introducing these beds and we are copied by many - also a lot of our guests choose to get these beds for there homes ,,, Superfood, great to hear that you enjoyed it - I am a big fan myself and I think that health eating is very important, food that makes you feel better. Very best regards and be well, Stefan Friedl, Hotel Manager