“A decent chain hotel”
Review of The Westin Warsaw

The Westin Warsaw
Ranked #11 of 126 Hotels in Warsaw
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I've stayed in the Westin several times now, mainly because my company books it for me. For some reason they think I like it here. Well, it's a decent hotel, with great service, but personally, I prefer the Intercontinental.
Whenever I walk into the room at the Westin, I have a feeling that the bed hasn't been made after the previous person. Yes, the sheets are nice and clean, but the way they make the beds is just very sloppy. Toiletries are a hit and miss and the same applies to bathrobes - sometimes you have them, sometimes you don't.

Breakfast is very good, with everything you could wish for. Unfortunately, the breakfast area is rather small, so it's always very busy and I sometimes feel like in a school canteen. This is another reason why I prefer the Intercontinental.

The gym is tiny and there's no swimming pool. The Westin is also a15-minute walk from the town centre, so be prepared to do some walking if you want to get out of the hotel.

My biggest annoyance with this hotel (and actually a lot of the other, expensive, chain hotels) is that they don't provide free internet in the standard rooms. You have to go to JP's bar and buy an over-priced drink to use the internet. Seriously, in this day and age, surely they can add free internet to your room. It appears that the more expensive the hotel, the less likely are you to have free internet in the room.

Stay here only if the rate is significantly cheaper than the Intercontinental, Hyatt, Hilton or Sheraton.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 5 February 2011

On our last trip to Warsaw we stayed at Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Westin, and the Courtyard Marriott.

Westin:
- Location: we loved the location, walking distance to shopping areas, and slightly longer walk to the center.
- Room was among smaller (comparable to Marriott, but much smaller than Hyatt or Hilton). Nevertheless, being extremely well designed and functional, it felt like a larger room. Comfortable, easily accessible, modern, and in very good working condition.
- Service: superb on every step.
- Executive lounge: Open late (till 23:30). The variety of snacks is smaller than in Hilton, but very good quality. Similarly, breakfast: great quality, but somewhat smaller variety than Hilton.
- Fitness facilities: they were remodeling them, so we could not use them, but they looked fantastic.

Altogether: We loved the quality of the rooms, functionality, great service, and good location. This is now one of our top favorite hotels to stay in while in Warsaw. Our ranking of Warsaw hotels was: Westin (10), Hilton (10), Hyatt (9), Marriott (7), Intercontinental (6), Courtyard Marriott (5).

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank rmkk
Reviewed 29 January 2011

I stayed for only one night on a business trip and was upgraded to the executive floor. My room was on the 20th floor with large windows overlooking Warsaw. The room had all amenities (bathrobe, slippers, flatscreen, internet) and a huge bathroom with both shower and bath tub. In the Executive Lounge I got free snacks in the evening and my breakfast the next morning as well as daily newspapers. There is also a small fitness room, which is well equipped or you could book some spa treatments. Personnel was very accomodating and friendly and I really enjoyed my stay.
A little downside is probably the location, as its a good 20min walk to Warsaw old town (probably 10min to Metro Centrum).

Reviewed 27 January 2011

Typical network hotel, so everything is decent - food, rooms and room service. There are two nice things thou - the look of the hotel (with an external tube-like thing in one corner), and its location, on Jana Pawła Street, very close to city business centre and railway station. The hotel is focused on businessman, so you should be OK with the quality of service in general if you are one, but some things that casual visitor would like to have are missing - for example they dont have a pool.

Reviewed 27 January 2011

I stayed in Westin Warsaw with my mother for 3 nights. The hotel is superbly located, right in the city centre in walking distance to all the major attracions in Warasw.
We stayed in regular room on the 17 floor and had great view over the city! The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The breakfast was ok. Food was good but they might add some more diversity to the menu. We tried the room service as well and the food was wery good.
Apart from the location the thing I liked most about this hotel were the elevators, they are made out of glass so you can see the wiew when moving up and down.
Overall this is a good hotel which I would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Knur
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Perhaps one or two items should not cause a service rating of poor, but apologies if you cannot provide me with the key things I need as a business traveller, then the entire hotel (no matter how pretty) loses. These are management decisions which I do not agree with.

Internet - only wired, only in the rooms and appromately 20 EUR for 1 day. Even worse, the wire is so short that you can only work from the desk! When I asked, the reception told me they have 1 long cable, but it is in use. I cannot be the only one who works from the bed in the evenings. For this level of hotel, I expect more - what does a longer cable cost???

Smoking - I requested a smoking room. When I arrived at the hotel, I was told I had to purchase an upgrade get a smoking room.

No windows to open.

Hotel is fine, but I won't be coming back any time soon since it does not meet my needs.

2  Thank BrendanMay
StarwoodHotelsPoland, General Manager at The Westin Warsaw, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2011

Dear Mr.May,

Thank you for taking the time to give us valuable feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Westin Warsaw. I apologize that we have not been able to meet your expectations but I honor the fact that you value and rate our property as fine and mention that perhaps one or two items should not cause a rating of poor. However, we take your concerns in regards to the Internet, as being considered as a business hotel, very serious and will improve our services. In all public areas we grant free WiFi access. Unfortunately there is no option caused by the structure of the building to open windows for security reasons. As a loyal SPG customer we would like to propose as an alternative to you our sister hotel the Sheraton Warsaw belonging to the Starwood family as a great place to stay as there you will find rooms where you can open the windows. On the other hand we have clarified the misunderstanding in regards to the purchase off an upgrade as we always try to fulfill the needs of our customers and this upgrade would have included free internet and additional benefits. In general the Westin Brand globally is striving to become a smoke and breathe free hotel chain and we only keep a very limited and small number of smoking rooms. Additionally a new no smoking law has just recently been implemented in Poland. We do hope that you will consider to stay at a Starwood property again when your travel will bring you from Cologne back to Warsaw and would even like to recommend our third property in the city with a great location, the Le Meridien Brsitol.

Stephan Sieberg

Reviewed 23 January 2011

Disclaimer:
Please note I do not write reviews for all my stays.
I also do not write reviews in the hope of being upgraded, but I do not want to be « negative » nor « extra positive » all the time as so many are here.

Introduction :
I choose this hotel because I go to Warsaw on a regular base and want to know them all. Before I decide wich one will be my best bet to collect as many points as possible. The West In, like the Bristol is a SPG hotel and so far SPG seems to me to be the best frequent traveller program.
What a shame that Residence Diana isn’t partner of a frequent traveller program.

Dates of stay:
From january 16th 2011 to 18th.

The Exterior:
Stunning elevator on the corner of the building. Looks nice specialy at night.
Otherwise, the building is average.

The Area:
Walking distance from the new part of the town where you’ll find shopping malls, business buildings. A cheap rate taxi will take you in 5 minutes to the Old town unless you want to walk for 20 minutes which is the way to go when it’s not freezing.

The Interior:
I was disappointed about the lobby, I mean how it looks. Seems a little « sad » and oldish.

The check in:
Nothing to complain about. Fast and professional.

The room:
Room number 1925.
It’s an executive level room.
Smoking, but very smelly. No possibility to open a window, not even a little bit.
Fantastic view over the town from the 19th floor.
The look and decoration is ok, nothing really spectacular and better than the lobby.
The space is well designed, allthough not very spacious.

The AirConditioning/Heating:
Perfectly working.

The Bathroom:
Amenities are ok but they could provide a second set of shower gel and shampoo as the contenance is small and I uselly shower twice a day when travelling.
The space is large enough.
Separate tub but no hand shower, only a wall mounted one.
Large bath with hand shower…go figure why they never put it in the tub.
Bad note: the doors are the salon doors type with mirrors. So no full privacy for the restroom if you share the room with someone.

The Bed:
Loved it. King size and comfortable.

The Breakfast:
In the executive lounge, 19th floor. Good breakfast, included in the price. Almost everything you can desire is there and if not, the friendly staff will prepare it for you (eggs). Coffee machine with excellent espresso, cafe creme, cappucino.

The Room Service:
Fast and friendly. Had a dinner and the food was nice.

The Restaurant(s):
Had a buffet type business lunch at Restaurant Fusion. The hot food was average but the cold buffet was splendid.

The Executive/Business Lounge:
Very nice place to sit and talk with friends or business partners. 4 different sofas + many tables. Soft drinks, coffee, fruits and pastry all day long. Strong branded alcohols between 6 and 8 PM and appetizers. Stunning view.

Check out:
Nothing but perfect. A 4 PM check out without any charge and an express card put in the box in the lobby.

Noticeable:
Avoid the Westin Taxis. They cost 3 times the rate of a city cab.

I really liked:
The elevator !

I really disliked:
The smoking room with no chance to let some fresh air enter.

My conclusion:
Good value for money (Executive) but didn’t like the look and feel of the hotel. Of course this is nothing else but a matter of taste. On top of that, being a still a smoker, it is impossible to survive in the room.