“A Good Option in Bled”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Spokane, Washington
“A Good Option in Bled”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

This traditional Slovenian eatery is near Bled's central bus station and close to the lakeshore and the start of the Bled Castle trail, so it's in a great location for tourists. My trio of travelers stopped in recently and had a very positive experience. Portion size is very large. I ordered the Chicken Ljubljana which was very similar to a chicken cordon bleu, and a side of grilled veggies which were garlicky and delicious. The menu is extensive and accessible--much more so than many of the other traditional places in Bled. The staff were very friendly and even helped us call a taxi after our meal was over.

My only complaint is the bathrooms. They were clean and smelled nice, but are decorated in a very odd, teenagery style and there is a big decal on the door to one of the women's bathroom stalls that says "knock twice for sex." Really not sure what the thought process was behind that kind of decor.

• Visited October 2013

• Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Kennesaw, Georgia
“Hearty fun with great servers!”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We ate lunch here and ate outside since it was such a nice day. A tour company was enjoying lunch so we figured it had to be good - which it was. The service was speedy and very friendly. We expected a wait for our food since the restaurant was packed, but it wasn't. My husband had roasted chicken which was excellent and a big portion. I can't remember what I ate, but we both enjoyed our food and the house red wine.

• Visited September 2013
Ormskirk, United Kingdom
“Traditional pub and restaurant”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I have been visiting this pub/restaurant for almost 15 years and during that time only 2 things have changed: the prices have increased enormously since the Euro was introduced (although so have prices everywhere else, so they are not bad in comparison) and the pizzeria has opened upstairs.

I have eaten many things on the menu. For soup, my favourite is mushroom - and it is never the same twice, which to me is a good indication of it being home-made. It comes with the inevitable basket of bread. The roast potatoes are the best I have ever had (one portion easily does 2 people). The mixed salad is great & oil + vinegar provided - and it would suit vegetarians/vegans, but if having it as an accompaniment I would suggest you only get one for 2 people.

For a main course I like the squid (calamari), either fried in batter or grilled. However, my favourite is the Ljubljana-style turkey, which is in breadcrumbs and filled with ham & cheese. If there is more than one of you, the meat platter is excellent - when I have had it, we got a variety of meats, vegetables, chips, potatoes & rice, plus a jug of mushroom sauce (but what should serve 2 people will easily feed 3, possibly 4).

Even though they are busy, they never rush you to leave. In winter I often sit in the bar area (you can also have your food there) for many hours, either talking to others or reading. Apart from the Union lager or Union dark (do try it), I often order a large mug of milky coffee (don't know if it's on the menu). Radler (shandy) is also a good option, as is the house wine.

If you walk in through the front door and the bar area, you get to the restaurant seating in 2 rooms at the back. Just after the bar, you can see the chefs cooking in the kitchen - I like this, as it shows how clean the place is.

Upstairs the pizzeria serves massive, delicious pizzas - order 2 if there are 4-5 of you, then order more later if necessary. It is open late - I remember going there with friends just before midnight one Christmas Eve and they were still serving!

Can't wait to be back there - I can almost taste the food as I write this!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Aurelia08
Merseyside UK
“Gluten Free Pizza”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Had drinks here many times, then read about their GF pizza on Trip Advisor and came for one. Up the side of the pub and up to the roof terrace above on a lovely sunny day. Showed the waitress a travelling GF card that I had downloaded and ordered my chosen topping. It was absolutely gorgeous and the best GF one that I have ever had. My partner tried the crust and could not believe it was GF.

Be warned they are very filling!

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank bluepatch
Tonbridge, England
“Something for everyone”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

This is a pub/restaurant/pizzeria all in one building.

The bar area, although small, is cosily atmospheric and attractive, with the ceiling covered in old motor bike number plates! The beer is very good.

You can eat in the rear restaurant or in the outside covered area. A varied menu, including some Slovenian traditional dishes but, be warned, the portions are enormous.

We also ate in the upstairs pizzeria, and really enjoyed the pizzas - some interesting combinations of toppings.

Visited September 2013