“Great price -- clean room”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Vila Gorenka

and 1 more site!
Vila Gorenka
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Bled
New York City, New York
“Great price -- clean room”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed in Vila Gorenka for a few nights while visiting Bled this summer. Here, you totally get what you pay for. For a great nightly rate, you get a very clean, quiet private room. There is no A/C or TV...and the bathrooms are shared....but if you're looking to save money, it's a good place to stay. The owners are nice, helped us carry our luggage up the stairs, and gave us free parking and internet.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
mountaintrecker
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

.When my wife and I arrived the owner greeted us and sat us down in the kitchen, told us we had to pay upfront which we'd never experienced anywhere before. Once we paid he told us the buffet breakfast consisted of a very limited selection of cereal, tea and coffee. If we wanted bread, cheese etc we should get up early and go to the supermarket to buy it and we could use the kitchen to prepare it ourselves. NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED FOR AN INCLUDED BUFFET BREAKFAST!!! The host showed us to our room which consisted of a basic twin bed, a spare bed, ancient wardrobe and a sink. The walls had been painted a dark brown colour and were dirty and stained. The only thing good about the room was the view. The beds were cleaned but there was dirt behind them and underneath them. The shared toilets were disgusting. Men had urinated all over the seats. We had to ask for toilet paper, the host said if there wasn't any we should use the downstairs toilet. I complained this was unacceptable and he said 'it just happens' but he gave us some to keep in our room anyway. I thought he had a very bad attitude. The whole house is very creepy with an overwhelming number of Christian paraphernalia on the walls, etc. Lots of models of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. The beds were extremely squeaky, everytime I turned over in my sleep the noise of the bed woke myself and my wife up. No curtains in the room so people in the house's outside / on the streets can see you getting changed, and people on the balcony next to your room can look straight in at you . Had we not paid in advance we would have walked out of this horrible place and booked in somewhere else. In fairness when I made up a story that my wife was pregnant and needed to get home early the host refunded us for our second night and we booked into the most amazing vila ever called Penzion Bomi which is on the south of the Lake on a walk up to Ojstrica and somewhere I cannot recommend high enough. The owner was lovely, welcoming and kind.

The only good thing about Vila Gorenka was the location and view from our room. There is no free wifi as advertised on hostelbookers.com and we wasn't shown any room with a PC that had wired internet access

My advice is make sure you see what you're getting before you pay to stay in the Villa Gorenka. There's much better accommodation at similar prices. The night before we went there we had stayed in the Villa Mangart which was superb but a good 15 minute walk from the town.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and toilet. ask to see room before paying!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mountaintrecker

Travellers are raving about these Bled hotels

Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

OK some of the decor needs attention but the Villa is charming and in a great location and the host can't do enough for you - looking up maps and suggesting routes etc.
Our room was large with plenty of storage and comfortable beds and had a lake view. It was so great to wake to the sound of birdsong and throw the shutters open to see the castle with the mountains behind. Thoroughly recommend this hostel- you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Maitland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Yes, the decor is somewhat outdated, but it is clean and it was only 20 Euro per person. What do you expect? I found the owner friendly and helpful and he spoke good English. We loved it here and were only going to stay one night but ended up staying 4 nights. Our room was very large and had a huge balcony looking across the lake and the view was just amazing. We had three dinners in our room on the balcony watching the sun set over the mountains, truly breathtaking. The bathroom was just a little scary but I've paid more money for worse. There was a basin in the room, a fridge right outside the door. We had all our breakfasts on the balcony so this made for quite a cheap stay. If you want the basics with a 5 star view than this is the place, if you want luxury than you will have to go elsewhere and pay a lot more.

Room Tip: If available you must get the balcony
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReneeandJohn
Essex
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2010

My partner and I visited Vila Gorenka while on a tour of Slovenia. We're used to staying in hostels so the cheapness of the property appealed - especially as we booked a room with a lake view for just a few pounds more.

Unfortunately, when we arrived, we could see why Vila Gorenka was so cheap - although it was clean, the whole house had a weird, stale-sweat like smell to it, the owner seemed to have been taking tips from Norman Bates and none of the furnishings looked like they'd been updated since the 1950s. The shared bathrooms were grim and the walls were also so thin, you could hear the people next door brushing their teeth!

We were expecting a room with a just window over the lake and got a beautiful balcony instead, but that was the only saving grace - we spent most of our time either out, or sitting on the balcony breathing in the fresh air!

It's such a shame, though - with a bit of TLC and some redecoration, this house really would have the potential to be wonderful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Ottawa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2010

Really, I loved the location and the room was very spacious, but the walls were terribly thin and as a light sleeper, I found it hard to get a good night's sleep. Then again, for 20Euro's a person, it really is a good deal. Our room was big enough with older furniture, a wash basin, with a great view of the Castle (my favourite).

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2010

I just read the previous review. They can't be writing about the same place. I'm staying in Vila Gorenka Bled right now. I've been here two weeks. It's a sweet old boarding house. The owner speaks great English and is very friendly. It's cheap (15Euros/night for one person), kept clean and very quiet. Okay, it's not a 5-star hotel. But it's very nice and I've liked it enough to stay on for two weeks. I'm quite happy and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo