“Good value in an expensive tourist spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Vila Gorenka

and 1 more site!
Vila Gorenka
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Bled
Oldsmar, Florida
“Good value in an expensive tourist spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

we hadn't meant to spend our first night in Bled but it was easier to catch the 13 Euro bus to Bled than the bus to Ljubljana. We found the tourist office about to close and she called around for rooms for us. The best she could do was 80 Euro/night, a price range that was repeated twice by nearby places that had a room w/ two singles and another that had no room that night. We happened on Vila Gorenka by wandering up away from the town and were pleased with the 21 Euro per person rate quoted. Our front bedroom was 'tired' and we had the bathroom-down-the-halls (toilet to left/shower to right) but the price was right. only later did we realize that this was a Rick Steves 'pick' and he'd said much the same things. Unfortunately, we were not offered breakfast (and would have appreciated it) and the owner was rather aloof and almost unfriendly. Reading these reviews, i'll put it down to a 'bad day' or maybe his wife was away (we never saw her and very little of him). All in all, in a pricy resort town with scant offerings near the lake, this was of good value for money and i would recommend it.

Room Tip: BE CERTAIN TO ASK WHAT RATE WOULD BE WITH BREAKFAST INCLUDED; I believe I asked 'does that inclu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

I chose a private single room. (25 euro)
As it was not a very busy season, I could choose which room I wanted to stay. How lucky !
There are about 10 rooms at Vila Gorenka. Every room is decorated differently. The room I stayed is equipped with very retro furniture. Yes I admit that furniture in other rooms look just outdated rather than retro.
I assume that there are 2 or 3 rooms with lake view/patio. The room I stayed doesn't have lake view but there is a sink in each room, that is good.
Breakfast is included in the rate, 8:00 - 11:00. It is basic like cereal, tea and coffee, but better than nothing.
Bled is a small town, Vila Gorenka is within walking distance from bus station but it is not really really in central, nor next to Lake. You have to walk up the slight hill or steps.

I like this old house, it looks like a museum decorated with retro furniture in public area. There are 2 shared bathroom. Bathroom and toilet on second floor is separated. It might take sometime before you finally get hot water shower, be patient a bit. There is a small fridge on corridor. I kept my salad in there. The owner did not explain much, but I assume that it is for guest use.

If the owner is not around, when you check out, just leave the key over the shelf near the front door. Payment is cash only upon your arrival.
There is wifi here, but the signal is very weak, it was not connected in my room unless I walk to the room where router is put.

Room Tip: Room with patio/lake view. Room#14 has patio/lake view on second floor. There are 4 beds in it. Anot...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Bled, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

The owner and his wife are very friendly. Breakfast is not restricted to particular hours. It is close to main shops where you can find internet access at A Propos shop and take your walk around the lake. The room was clean, with ample storage and a basin. Shared bathroom OK. The best thing is you can but your food at a supermarket and cook it at Vila Gorenka saving you heaps of money. The crockery is all beautiful china and there is a dishwasher and plenty of pots and pans etc. I loved it here. The other lake at Bohinj is lovely, too and much bigger and surrounded by forest. You can walk to Vila Gorenka from the bus. Train is further and less frequent. Don't be fooled into getting at taxi. It's not far. Trip to the Gorge from here is worthwhile, too.

Room Tip: Some have views. Cheaper ones don't.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Wendy T
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

Vila Gorenka was built in 1909 and has it's original features. This sets the tone for the property - it's old, with a dark colour scheme and furniture. Don't be put off by this, just soak up the atmosphere of a house with so much history in a beautiful location. We booked one night on the way from the UK to Croatia, loved the house and the location so stayed an extra night and have just arrived back on our way home. The owner speaks excellent English and fluent German and if you've tried learning Croatian and Slovenish and not suceeded like us, you're very grateful.. We found him kind and helpful -if at first he appears a little aloof you must take the language barrier into account and make allowances for delays and gaps in conversation. You won't be fawned all over, but in our experience he has been kind, helpful and informative. Breakfast is a little sparse, but it carries you through until lunch, there's wi-fi access, the toilets and showers are shared, but we found them to be clean, towels are provided and the rooms (we've had 2 different ones) are clean and comfortable. The furniture is old, but I can't see why that's a problem personally, everything works as it should ... I would recommend Vila Gorenka to any traveller who wants a great price, a property with character and history and who wants something a little different from homogenised tourism ... we loved it and will be back in the Spring

Room Tip: not all rooms have a view of the Lake so ask beforehand if you want one, a couple have balconies wit...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

What a beautiful part of the world! We decided to pay a little extra to get the view and we certainly enjoyed each evening on the balcony. Everything is within walking distance and we really enjoyed our time in Bled. Not that we didn't feel like we got value for our money, but a few simple improvements would've really sold me on the place.
The double bed was two distinct singles pushed together, which were fitted with two sets of single bedding and the communal shower and toilet never seemed truly clean.
Other issues simply relate to the age of the beautiful house, for example we were privy to our neighbours conversations and we were often woken early by their chattering.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BelTraveller18
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

We stayed in Vila Gorenka for a few nights while visiting Bled this summer. Here, you totally get what you pay for. For a great nightly rate, you get a very clean, quiet private room. There is no A/C or TV...and the bathrooms are shared....but if you're looking to save money, it's a good place to stay. The owners are nice, helped us carry our luggage up the stairs, and gave us free parking and internet.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
mountaintrecker
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

.When my wife and I arrived the owner greeted us and sat us down in the kitchen, told us we had to pay upfront which we'd never experienced anywhere before. Once we paid he told us the buffet breakfast consisted of a very limited selection of cereal, tea and coffee. If we wanted bread, cheese etc we should get up early and go to the supermarket to buy it and we could use the kitchen to prepare it ourselves. NOT WHAT WE EXPECTED FOR AN INCLUDED BUFFET BREAKFAST!!! The host showed us to our room which consisted of a basic twin bed, a spare bed, ancient wardrobe and a sink. The walls had been painted a dark brown colour and were dirty and stained. The only thing good about the room was the view. The beds were cleaned but there was dirt behind them and underneath them. The shared toilets were disgusting. Men had urinated all over the seats. We had to ask for toilet paper, the host said if there wasn't any we should use the downstairs toilet. I complained this was unacceptable and he said 'it just happens' but he gave us some to keep in our room anyway. I thought he had a very bad attitude. The whole house is very creepy with an overwhelming number of Christian paraphernalia on the walls, etc. Lots of models of Jesus and the Virgin Mary. The beds were extremely squeaky, everytime I turned over in my sleep the noise of the bed woke myself and my wife up. No curtains in the room so people in the house's outside / on the streets can see you getting changed, and people on the balcony next to your room can look straight in at you . Had we not paid in advance we would have walked out of this horrible place and booked in somewhere else. In fairness when I made up a story that my wife was pregnant and needed to get home early the host refunded us for our second night and we booked into the most amazing vila ever called Penzion Bomi which is on the south of the Lake on a walk up to Ojstrica and somewhere I cannot recommend high enough. The owner was lovely, welcoming and kind.

The only good thing about Vila Gorenka was the location and view from our room. There is no free wifi as advertised on hostelbookers.com and we wasn't shown any room with a PC that had wired internet access

My advice is make sure you see what you're getting before you pay to stay in the Villa Gorenka. There's much better accommodation at similar prices. The night before we went there we had stayed in the Villa Mangart which was superb but a good 15 minute walk from the town.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a balcony and toilet. ask to see room before paying!!!!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mountaintrecker

Travellers are raving about these Bled hotels