“Excellent location, clean and characterful”
Review of Vila Gorenka

Vila Gorenka
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Bled
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, clean and characterful”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We got a shuttle bus from the airport to Bled, which dropped us right outside Villa Gorenka. When we pulled up I thought we were dropping someone else off; I said to my boyfriend 'we won't be staying somewhere this nice'.
The owner speaks great English- - though he didn't speak much when we first arrived. He has some great tips about the area. Our room was massive with old furniture and big windows. The bathrooms were clean with good showers and there was use of the kitchen.
Fantastic location, a two minute walk to the lakeside and a couple of minutes more into the centre of Bled. As you leave the hotel you look out over the stunning lake.
Couldn't have asked for better, especially considering the price! We stayed for 3 nights which was just right to see and do everything around Bled.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bryony N

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
California
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed here for one night which is not enough because you'll love Bled so much. Quirky old house with lots of charm and feels like lots of history. Floors squeak when you walk, Owner welcoming and helpful with questions we asked. Location was such that we walked to most things we wanted to do with no problems. Close to places to eat, small grocery store closed on Sundays, ATM, the lake which has all kinds of activities around it from swimming, eating, ice cream, scuba rental, boating on the lake to visit the church on the island, walk to the castle. There is one bathroom per floor but it was available whenever we used it. Don't know if our floor was full or not. Bring your own soap and shampoo here, but towels were provided. Had a beautiful view of the lake, which is the best thing we enjoyed about our stay. My son thought they had the best pillows ever and now wants a square feather pillow. We. Did not eat breakfast as we had to leave early. Would stay here again with the good price.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank sutrotower
Reviewed 23 October 2012

The owner was very welcoming. The house is old but has a lot of charm. Had free wifi but it only worked downstairs which was quiet annoying for us. The bedroom was clean and spacious with a nice view and the bathrooms were cleaned regularly. There was a fridge facility which was a great touch for us. We paid just a €2 donation for breakfast which allowed us access to cereals, breads, yogurt, eggs, tea and coffee -this was a good deal! The location was perfect for walking around the town of Bled. It is an amazing place.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank worldclasstourist
Stanford, California
Reviewed 13 July 2012

I stayed at Vila Gorenka early in July and had a very nice stay. The house owner, Janis is a very interesting man with interesting experiences in life. He's also a kind person. The room itself was fairly basic with nothing fancy. It was clean and well ventilated and the location is great. A very short walk takes you right to the lake or the main bus stop. The only problem might be that there is only one bathroom per floor. Aside from that, it is a beautiful 100 year old house with a lot of old memorabilia scattered all around the house. I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: If you get a choice, try to get a room that faces the lake.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank SiddharthK
Potsdam, Germany
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I stayed in Vila Gorenka for 7 nights and Iam very happy, that i stayed longer here, because it is a beautiful, charming house, with warm atmosphere and i feel very welcome from the first moment.The Owner and his Wife are very friendly and open.I like the rooms, with old charme, also.Some rooms are with view to lake.In the morning you catch coffee, tea,cornflakes and müsli.Also you have the posibilty to use the fridge..
The house is a relax place, very close the centre and the beautiful Bled-lake.
I think,Bled is a fantastic starting point, for many other daytrips,The intact landscape is a paradise for walker and bicycle rider-you can find silence and relaxation.like it sooo much:-) and i come back! Karen from germany,15.6.2012

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Oldsmar, Florida
Reviewed 28 May 2012

we hadn't meant to spend our first night in Bled but it was easier to catch the 13 Euro bus to Bled than the bus to Ljubljana. We found the tourist office about to close and she called around for rooms for us. The best she could do was 80 Euro/night, a price range that was repeated twice by nearby places that had a room w/ two singles and another that had no room that night. We happened on Vila Gorenka by wandering up away from the town and were pleased with the 21 Euro per person rate quoted. Our front bedroom was 'tired' and we had the bathroom-down-the-halls (toilet to left/shower to right) but the price was right. only later did we realize that this was a Rick Steves 'pick' and he'd said much the same things. Unfortunately, we were not offered breakfast (and would have appreciated it) and the owner was rather aloof and almost unfriendly. Reading these reviews, i'll put it down to a 'bad day' or maybe his wife was away (we never saw her and very little of him). All in all, in a pricy resort town with scant offerings near the lake, this was of good value for money and i would recommend it.

Room Tip: BE CERTAIN TO ASK WHAT RATE WOULD BE WITH BREAKFAST INCLUDED; I believe I asked 'does that inclu...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Singapore
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I chose a private single room. (25 euro)
As it was not a very busy season, I could choose which room I wanted to stay. How lucky !
There are about 10 rooms at Vila Gorenka. Every room is decorated differently. The room I stayed is equipped with very retro furniture. Yes I admit that furniture in other rooms look just outdated rather than retro.
I assume that there are 2 or 3 rooms with lake view/patio. The room I stayed doesn't have lake view but there is a sink in each room, that is good.
Breakfast is included in the rate, 8:00 - 11:00. It is basic like cereal, tea and coffee, but better than nothing.
Bled is a small town, Vila Gorenka is within walking distance from bus station but it is not really really in central, nor next to Lake. You have to walk up the slight hill or steps.

I like this old house, it looks like a museum decorated with retro furniture in public area. There are 2 shared bathroom. Bathroom and toilet on second floor is separated. It might take sometime before you finally get hot water shower, be patient a bit. There is a small fridge on corridor. I kept my salad in there. The owner did not explain much, but I assume that it is for guest use.

If the owner is not around, when you check out, just leave the key over the shelf near the front door. Payment is cash only upon your arrival.
There is wifi here, but the signal is very weak, it was not connected in my room unless I walk to the room where router is put.

Room Tip: Room with patio/lake view. Room#14 has patio/lake view on second floor. There are 4 beds in it. Anot...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo