“A fairytale view of the lake”

Garni Hotel Jadran - Sava Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #20 of 24 Hotels in Bled
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I arrived with my boyfriend around 7pm at the sister hotel which we had previously booked. However, the friendly receptionist told us due to an overbooking situation we had been moved to the Jadran just 50 metres away. Although wary, he informed us this was in fact a nicer hotel and he was right. We were greeted by extremely friendly staff and quickly given our room key for a room on the first floor with a balcony that overlooked the lake. We could not stop sitting and staring at the beauty of the lake and watching the castle light up at night! The decor is slightly tired as mentioned by others, but we had expected this owing to the cheap price we paid. We also found that combined with the balcony we didn't spend much time inside the room. There was a great free wifi connection and the room had all key features such as a safe and fridge. The breakfast was also good with a range of foods on offer. On our final morning before breakfast we asked the receptionist if she knew of any buses to the station to which she provided us with directions to the bus stop. However, when checking out she had printed off the entire timetable and highlighted all the buses we could get to make our train! We were also allowed to leave our baggage behind the counter all day. The hotel offers drinks if you need, and there is a computer in the lobby which is free to use. We were also provided with passes to a neighbouring 4 star hotel to use the swimming pool which was lovely, would highly recommend doing this! Given free towels here too! The hotel is in a great location with friendly staff and beautiful views! We're going back very soon!

Room Tip: Get a balcony overlooking the lake!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Harriet B

Reviewed 24 July 2013

Encouraged by other reviews describing the fantastic view over the lake and castle from the balconies, I happily paid the extra price to book a room with lake view. Alas, when I arrived I got assigned a fifth floor room, which proved to be without any balcony. Furthermore, the small attic type window, with discolored glass that was partly opaque, couldn't open very far. So the lake view was more of a lake glimpse - though by bending my knees and tilting my neck, I could at least see part of the castle through the crack.

I am sure the lake view is as fantastic as described by others from the balconies below. If you want a true lake view for your money, make sure the hotel guarantees you a room below the fifth floor when booking, or you might end up disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank Jon S
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Garni Hotel Jadran - Sava Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at Hotel Jadran.
I am sorry to find out your experience about a lake view from the room. Hotel Jadran is an old hotel with very different rooms therefore they are not of the same type. Rooms in the top floor don't have balconies. Unfortunately it also wasn't possible to offer you another room as the hotel is more or less fully booked through the summer season.

Please accept my apology if the view hasn't met your expectations. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you again and offer you accommodation in another type of room.
Sincerely yours,

SAVA HOTELS BLED
Fedja Pobegajlo, executive director

Reviewed 18 June 2013

As with all budget hotels, there are always some parts of the offering which are less attractive ... the decor is a bit tired .. the breakfast choice is quite limited ... the car park is very cramped (and if a coach party visits and the coach parks up there, moving your car becomes 'interesting.'). On the positive side, the front rooms give you great views over the lake and Bled castle which makes up for a lot of imperfections, the staff are lovely, and you are within minutes of the centre of Bled.

Room Tip: I had a first floor room and it could be quite noisy as it was above the front door and people would...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 January 2013

Cannot really much better the view of the lake (especially via lake-side room) and the location which is across the road from the lake with view of the castle directly ahead.

The hotel itself is nice to look at from the outside however the beds are not comfortable and the carpet both inside the rooms and corridors is not nice to look at.

The management are nice and breakfast is adequate.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LondonCosmopolitan
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Garni Hotel Jadran - Sava Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Dear guest,

May I first thank you for your review; our guests' comments help us to improve our services.
It is my pleasure to find out that you liked the hotel's location, breakfast and staff attitude.
I know that the Hotel Jadran hasn't been refurbished for some time; I apologize if your stay hasn't been as comfortable as we would like it to be. However, we plan to refresh the hotel before summer this year therefore I am convinced that you would feel the change if you decide to visit us again.

Welcome!

Best regards,
SAVA HOETLS BLED
Fedja Pobegajlo, Executive Director

Reviewed 16 September 2012

We had reservations for 2 nights at the Jadran. It was a last minute replacement for another hotel that was closed down. I was skeptical and found the on-line photo a bit creepy. The first time I saw the hotel was from across Lake Bled. I was standing at the castle and saw that exact "photo" directly across from me and thought, "Wow, what a cool looking place. I cannot believe how close it is to town."

Upon arrival, check-in was smooth. When I got to my room, my jaw dropped...it was a magnificent view of the castle I'd just left. The location and especially this view is what I base my review on. All else becomes insignificant.

When you stay in a 3 or less star hotel, you need to accept that everything will not be perfect. The hotel is clean. The breakfast was good. The breakfast room was quaint.
We could swim in Lake Bled almost directly in front of the hotel. We walked to a good restaurant, Panorama, with magnificent lake and castle views from its terrace.

This was the 1st time (after a few trips to Lake Bled) that I actually slept at the lake. I probably should not mention this, but I will. Spoiler Alert!
The castle and the rock it is perched upon changes colors all night long. We even saw faces in the rocks. The mirror image in the water is stunning. GET A ROOM WITH A VIEW! I could have stared at that unforgettable view all day and night.

True, the hotel needs to be refurbished, but I think it is fairly priced. We had a triple room with adequate space. There is no A/C, but there was a huge fan in the closet. It was hot when we were there. It was a godsend.
It's also true that bees/wasps can enter the room if you leave the windows open. Grab a shoe!

Beds could have been more comfortable. I find that all over Europe. In the end, is there ever a bed more comfortable than the one you left at home?
The staff at the reception was helpful. There were maps and brochures in the lobby. The lobby Internet was poor due to speed and seating arrangement. Free, but not usable.

There is a lot to do in Bled. I was surprised at the quality and quantity of bars with really good and diverse music. With a lovely promenade for an evening stroll, who cares what the room decor is like as long as it is clean. Get out and enjoy Bled. There is also a pletna within walking distance. I do not recall the TV....who watches TV when they travel? That's one reason why I travel, to get away from the news!

We did encounter some misinformation about directions to swimming and use of towels, but we made the best of it and had a lovely swim in the lake with our own towels. I also swam at the island when we arrived by pletna since I had already been there. That was a fun swim.

Garni Hotel Jadran is good value for money. The views and location compensate for the decor and furnishings. Understanding what you've paid for and being flexible goes a long way.

Room Tip: Room with Balcony and View of Bled Castle is a must!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days and we were shocked at its run down condition as it was quite highly priced. I was offered this hotel because the other hotels of the group were even more expensive. The rooms were small considering it was a family room and the beds were absolutely awful. The child's bed could not be slept in as the spine kept falling apart and the springs on the mattress could be felt, making it absolutely a nightmare to sleep on. The main beds were a relatively better but could hardly be slept in. The carpets in the room were absolutely worn out as were the carpets in the corridor. Our rooms faced the lake and had a nice balcony but there were a lot of wasps flying around making it dangerous to leave the doors open, though on the third day they all disappeared!

The bathroom, though big, had tiles that seemed at least 50 years old and the geometric pattern on the tiles made you dizzy. They were also a maroon-brown colour and only made things worse. There was no provision for keeping your toilet kit anywhere other than on the window sill and the taps creaked and had to yanked open or shut!

The only redeeming feature of this room was that it was directly facing the lake and the castle and the view was absolutely stunning both during the day and night. We often just sat quietly taking in the view. There would be very few hotels that could compare with this view.

The breakfast at the hotel was adequate but nothing to write home about. It only included eggs and sausages for the hot part, everything else was cold though it was adequate. The coffee on one day was very cold and on searching out the kitchen staff they quickly changed the coffee. However it did not contribute to my experience of the hotel.

Our room rate included dinner but this was at the Panorama restaurant at the groups other hotel across the street. The restaurant faced the lake and had a terrace but we were not allowed to have dinner there though it was empty. The staff were quite rude when I insisted I wanted to sit out and this only made things worse. However, in all fairness I must say the food was excellent with at least two soups, starters and a few main courses with fruits and dessert to follow. But the unpleasantness remained.

Our room rate also included use of the wellness facilities at the nearby sister hotel of the group. This was very nice but we used it only once since we preferred to swim in the beautiful lake Bled where the water was cold and invigorating!

The staff at the reception were extremely kind and helpful and it made up in some way for the run down condition of the hotel. In fact we left my son's passport in the safe and took away the safe key by mistake and the staff were extremely helpful in ensuring we got my son's passport back, though I had to send 10 Euros to cover the cost. I was a bit surprised at that though I had offered to pay for it.

Lake Bled was beautiful though this hotel was certainly not!

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel, but if one has to stay here, you must choose the rooms with lake v...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Anil58
SavaHotelsResorts, General Manager at Garni Hotel Jadran - Sava Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

Dear guests,

May I thank you for your review. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with your stay at the Hotel Jadran. The hotel has a wonderful location – as you write – near the lake and offers very nice views. This hotel hasn't been refurbished for some time therefore it is in our plans as the next hotel to be renovated.

We try to compensate the hotel condition with our services and it brings me pleasure to read your comments about our staff's helpfulness and kindness which we will encourage also in the future. We will improve our restaurant staff attitude also in the restaurant where you had dinners.
I am also glad that you liked our food and the wellness area at sister hotel Golf.
Dear guests, I hope you will visit one of our hotels also in the future; I believe you will be satisfied with our services.

Sincerely yours,
Sava Hotels Bled
Fedja Pobegajlo, Executive Director

Reviewed 8 July 2012

The hotel Jadran is a beautiful building of its time. It also prides it self with a perfect location sporting a lakeside view towards Bled castle. At summer the lakeside rooms get a full blown evening sunset. The rooms are not air-conditioned, however it has this lovely breeze cooling the room (no 433 in my case). If that is not enough for you the rooms are, bizzarely, equiped with a stand-alone fan you can plug into a wall socket. That is where things go of to the deep end. To be fair: it has been 10 years since the hotel was renovated. So I expect things to be moderatly used. In this case it was a bit of a shocker. It is not so much the abuse from guests as it is poor maintenance. Everything seems to be falling apart either by look or by touch. The color and tapestries used in the last soft renvation are still fine, the gold color being a nice choice as it looks timeless. It does not go well with the color of the furniature however. Which besides it falling apart looks too rustic for the type of building. If it had been restored and colored a bit more brightly and maintained properly it would be a lovely site. I missed the black out and decorative curtains. There was only a light one and balkony door shutters that were not exactly black out. A big faux pas is the unstocked mini bar. And not the unstocked part. It barrely worked. Old fridges use too much energy, take all night to cool a couple of beers and heat up the room while being, stuck in the cupboard with no ventilation holes anywhere. I am surprised that the fire hazard inspector allows this. Rather just take them out. Another thing: I hate CRT tvs. They take too much space and are genuinely ugly. Remove the TVs or buy flats! I do not mind if there is no TV if it makes the room look and feel better.  Now it only looks cheap. Another strange thing was the radiator that has been mounted infront half the balkony door. The bathroom is old and poorly maintenanced at all, the hair dryer did not function.  Also I was rather disappointed by the bed. The two most disappointing parts were the most important ones. The bed and the service. I am going to get to the latter later. The bed was awful. Bomb shelter have coazier beds then Hotel Jadran. It has dents all over. It has to be at least 20 years old. With matching age matrasses over which they bothered to put Dormeo repair foam. My back did not appreciate the sleep. The whole night I felt like I was going to fall through it. The linen are cheap poliesther however I have seen worse. Now to the worst part, the service. I feel horrible even writing about it. The gentleman working at the reception was honestly an idiot. Not that he was impolite he was just too unformal for any kind of job in the hospitality business. I have seen bathroom attendants in Prague more professional than this young gentleman. As they have overlooked my reservation I had to go behind his desk and print it out on his computer, on his insistance. Instead of just forwarding them the confirmation from my phone. When he handed us the key he also made it known to us that he is a bit tired of working and that any questions we had we best save it for later. I had been taken aback a bit when he took my cc number and scrounged them on a torn piece of paper. I do not mind if they make an imprint or put it in their system however this was a bit too much. When we passed him later and asked about the wellnes center he remembered that he has to give us some hotel identity card. The wellnes is by another of its sisters hotels. When asked for directions he just pointed us in the general direction off to the right of hotel and had absolutely no intention of detailing a route with a few pointers. Thank god it is a small town. It would make sense that the hotel bans smoking infront of the main entrance to the hotel for their staff. I do not mind staff smoking just make sure the guests do not see them when in uniforms. The note on the reception desk 'lunch break. Be back soon.' was cute although irritating. The check out gentleman in the morning was even more confused but, unlike his afternoon shift companion, at least knew some manners and professional courtesy, he even wished us a farewell. The breakfast staff did not bother to say hello and seemed trying to make themselves invisible and try to avoid you as much as humanly possible. It is a part of Sava hotels and in my opinion lacks proper management. I can guarantee you that no middle management personnel or higher had entered the hotel in a few years. Bled lake and its hotels live on their past reputations. The pearl of Slovenian turism is turning into another pebble in the botched Slovenian turism mosaic. Which is of course sad to see especially with some lovely properties on site. A prime example is Hotel Jadran. It would have taken so little and it could have been so much better. For now it is not worth the money. Any money.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Winston1984
SavaHotelsResorts, Manager at Garni Hotel Jadran - Sava Hotels & Resorts, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear guest,

We are well aware, that our Jadran Hotel is indeed a beautiful old hotel which undoubtedly needs thorough refurbishment. However, the tough economic situation in the past couple of years prevented us from procuring the necessary funds in order to start the long-planned renovation. Nevertheless, we try to do a little step every year, with guests’ safety being our first priority. Thus we installed a new elevator this year as the old one did not function safely. Of course, we hope that we will soon be able to carry out our complete renovation plans for this hotel. Until then, the hotel is only open in summer months and is available at much lower rates than other hotels in Bled. Additionally, to make up for the lower quality of accommodation we offer our guests free admission to the pool complex of Živa Wellness in the nearby Golf Hotel.

Unfortunately, there is no excuse for the behaviour of our receptionist that you brought to my attention. As the hotel is only open in summer, we only employ temporary staff, most of them students. They all receive necessary training and detailed instructions about professional demeanor at their workplace. The receptionist in question clearly behaved against all our rules and service standards and as a consequence no longer works with us.

However, I cannot agree with your assumption that no management personnel have entered the hotel for several years as this is simply not true. Me or my assistant make daily rounds of this as of every other of our hotels in Bled, trying to make sure that our personnel delivers the service that guests expect. I am disappointed to find out that we seem to have failed in the case of Jadran Hotel. Also, I am very sorry that you had such a disappointing stay with us. I hope this did not affect your general impression of Bled in such a way that you do not feel able to return here again.

Kind regards,