“Lovely family-run hotel, excellent service and value”
Review of Garni Hotel "Berc"

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bled
Garni Hotel "Berc"
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Bled
London
“Lovely family-run hotel, excellent service and value”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

My boyfriend and I had a very enjoyable break in Bled, helped greatly by by this brilliant place. I could not recommend it more highly.

LOCATION: 30 minute taxi ride from the airport. Don't bother with buses unless you're patient because you will have to change buses once and though they're punctual, they're not that regular. The taxi ride cost 39 Euros, we had Graeme from Bledtaxis.com and got an excellent service complete with a mini trip around the town of Bled for orientation, since it was our first time. The hotel is a few minutes walk from the lake. There is no lake view, but it is a much quieter and peaceful location and within walking distance of some excellent restaurants and most of Bled (which is quite small).

HOTEL: the hotel itself is quite new, the owner told me around 6 years old, but it's built in a simple traditional style. There was an honesty bar for teas and coffees. The breakfast room was pretty and full of interesting pictures and decorations. There are two computers with free internet access for guests and free wi-fi too. There are no other leisure facilities, however we like swimming so we used the Wellness Ziva spa which is a minute's walk away. It was 9 Euros to use the pools for 3 hours, more for saunas and treatments (didn't get those). I suspect that this spa is the one that the bigger (and more expensive) hotels provide to their guests, but it is open to the public too.

ROOM: we had room 13, fortunately I'm not superstitious! The room was large and simple, in a nice way. It reminded me of a little alpine log cabin. The bed was two twin mattresses, but on one large bed-frame, so they did not slide apart at all (very crucial). the mattresses were very comfortable and firm. There was a balcony with a table and two chairs, and also an ashtray so I guess it would have been ok to smoke out there. The bathroom had a shower (no bath). The room was absolutely spotless. It was really quiet so we slept like logs every night. No tea and coffee but you can pop to the breakfast room (honesty bar) and make some. I have no complaints about the room.

BREAKFAST: It was a cold breakfast every day, though with hot boiled eggs. Tea, coffee, cereals, yoghurts, fruits, bread/toast, jams, honey, cheeses, meats, and cakes (I think it was the Slovenian potica cake). If you're a Brit you might find the tea pretty weak, but this is the case in most of Europe.

SERVICE: truly excellent. The hotel is run by a family, and we had most contact with Luca. He was so friendly, helpful and interesting. He loaned us a guide book of walks around the area, which proved to be indispensible, and gave us advice about what to do in and around Bled. He has lived there all his life so he knows a lot. He also made recommendations for restaurants, and all except one were excellent. Because I had to book by email, he'd already sent me some advice on getting to the hotel from the airport. If you stay here, Luca will tell you the best places to go.

VALUE FOR MONEY: Excellent.

OTHER BLED TIPS: There is truly some excellent food to be eaten in Bled. My favourite was the Penzion Mayer (right next door) , my boyfriend preferred the Ostarija Peglez'n. We both liked the Vila Ajda restaurant. Try the Wellness Ziva spa if it is too cold to swim in the lake, and take a waterproof camera with you because one of the pools is outdoors with the lake directly behind it. Visit nearby Lake Bohinj, it is truly stunning and well worth the effort. The buses in Slovenia are punctual and reasonably priced but usually only every hour or half-hour. Most Slovenes speak English (and German, and Italian, and French...!) but have a go at the language anyway, they appreciate it when you try.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank SabreM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
  • Serbian first
Southampton, England.
Reviewed 12 April 2011

My wife and I spent three enjoyable nights at this great hotel. The location is very good and everyone was very friendly and helpful.

The free use of bikes was excellent and gave us the chance to work off a few of the calories gained in all the over indulgence on dinner and ice creams!

The honesty bar is a great idea although it isn’t advertised at all so be sure to enquire or just go and have a nose about in the bar area and you’ll find two well stocked fridges and a price list if you search hard enough.

Breakfast was fairly basic but there was still plenty of choice and enough of everything to go round.

Our room was clean and of a good size and had a nice big balcony overlooking the garden.

During the daytime there was a bit of noise from a nearby business but only for short periods of time and nothing unacceptable. The lack of aircon may be a problem during the summer although we had temperatures up to 26C in April and we were okay and I’m guessing summer temperatures aren’t much higher so possibly not an issue.

We also appreciated the free parking and the free wifi throughout the hotel and there is a computer for guests use if you require it.

All in all, an excellent place to stay and one which we would be happy to return to.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
El Sobrante, California
Reviewed 30 January 2011

On a motorcycle trip with my wife. I book ahead of time with Hotel Berc and I'm glad I did. Very helpful family staff, awesome dinner recommendations. Made our trip to Slovenia special.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Belgrade
Reviewed 29 January 2011

We picked the Garni Berc hotel because of it's great reviews. Now we know it was all true, because people who once went to this hotel keep coming back. The owner Luka and other staff members are so friendly that you feel like home. The hotel is spotlessly clean, the location is perfect (almost just across the hotel Golf with pools and spa and few minutes from the lake). Maybe the best recommendation is that when we were having conversation with the clerk from other hotel said that Garni Berc hotel is the best place you can be at Bled. We will be back again for sure.

1 Thank 4ofusbg
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2011

I have to say staying here was not my choice of hotel, but part of a wedding package and I am so glad we stayed here. We had 28 rooms booked and anything we needed Luka could not do enough to help us. Every room was clean breakfast was always nice and the hotel is in such a good location. You are less than 5 minutes from the lake and the hotel was so quiet.
We arrived around 11pm at night and Luka knew I had a 4 month old child so ensured everything we needed was there, and had a microwave for bottle steralisation and even made us some food when we arrived. When we had our flights changed and an early morning start Luka sorted out a breakfast for us to ensure we had some.
This hotel is a hidden gem and it was a real pleasure to stay here. I would recomond this hotel to anyone.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We spent four nights at the Hotel Berc in January 2011. Bled is a small town. You do not get a lake view at the hotel, but the lake is only a five minute walk away. The small built and designed in rustic alpine style is well maintained, well run and a pleasure to stay at. Our large double room had a king size bed and one small bed. At no extra charge we were given a cot to use during our stay. The owners and staff are extremely helpful to make your stay as pleasant as possible and give you advice on Bled. The hotel offers only breakfast, no other meals. The breakfast buffet is varied, fresh and well presented. In the evening, the breakfast room becomes a hotel bar area where guests can stay to have a drink or sit and chat. There is good wireless internet access all over the hotel and one computer for guests to use. The hotel also has a library corner where you can take out books or information on Bled and the surroundings. Enough parking available in front of the hotel. Overall and excellent choice for Bled. If I visit again, it will be the hotel Berc again!

MIlwaukee
Reviewed 24 November 2010

The hotel was very nice and homey. The staff was extremely welcoming and friendly. They chatted about the area in a way that was more personal than the ordinary front desk person at a hotel. They recommended a great little restaurant around the corner for dinner. It's nothing super fancy, but a great spot to stay in Bled.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple