“A surprisingly nice Italian restaurant tucked away in Ukanc”

Pizzeria & Spaghetti house Don Andro
Price range: US$7 - US$16
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Ukanc, one of the loveliest spots of Bohinj, where you will discover Picerija Ukanc. In summer, you can sit on the sunny terrace and admire the wonderful view of the magnificent mountains surrounding you. In winter, the winter garden awaits you with a splendid idyllic view of frosty Bohinj and the pleasant smell of mulled wine. The best choice excellent dining!
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We opted to try Don Andro for dinner after being underwhelmed by our hotel's buffet, and we were glad that we did. While I can't call it the best meal I had in Slovenia, it definitely rated near the top. The portions were large and my pizza was very tasty. There were also several good options for dessert. We were able to sit in the outdoor seating area, which was great on a perfect summer night. Our waitress was friendly and spoke very good English. Overall it was a very good dining experience and I would recommend Don Andro to anyone looking for a good meal in the vicinity of Ukanc.

Date of visit: September 2011

Reviewed 22 August 2011

Ate here thrice in one week with my partner when exploring Bohinj Lake. We had pizza, pasta and I tried two salads. Pizzas are huge - he barely managed a small one, I had about half of mine left although I was starving. It was really good though, not at all greasy. Salad portions are also huge - big ones come in a bowl which I normally use at home to make salad for two people. Chicken salad was also ok; if you take the tuna salad, ask for less sauce or to have it on the side.
Coffee is fabulous and they bring you this chocolate cup with it which is filled with raspberry liquor (it's free). Service was ok, young girls who seem to be falling off their feet with work (its always crowded, but we had no problems finding a table all three times) but still polite. Our bill was always between 22- 25 euros together with drinks and coffee. All in all this place is really good value - nothing special, but you won't be hungry and you won't be out of pocket afterwards.

Date of visit: July 2011
1  Thank vanchi d
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We escaped from the nearby Hotel Zlatorog (avoid at all costs) to the nearby Don Andro on the basis it couldn't be worse. The reality was the food (pizza & pasta) was excellent and the service superb. As a every wasp in creation seems to descend on Slovenia in August their array of braziers and wasp traps also made for a pleasant evening on the lovely terrace. They deserve to do well and I'm sure the apartments are good quality. They could teach the Hotel Zlatorog a thing or two.

Highly recommended.

Date of visit: August 2011
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Excellent selection of pizzas and salads, all scrumptuous and big portions.

We tried Gramada, a Slovenian dessert which is like a soft fudge cake topped with creme fraische. The best dessert on the holiday so far.

We loved the little touches to make our experience special. For e.g. Their coffe was not only exvellent but came on its own tray with a glass of water and home made rasberry liquer in a little chocolate cup. All very yummy.

All this came at very attractive prices, hence the place was perpetually packed.

We would go to extent of saying that a trip to Bohinj is incomplete without eating here.

1  Thank TheKapoors
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We were staying at a B&B but failed to arrive in time for dinner. The owner suggested we eat here. It was delicious and very reasonable. I rather expected Slovenia to have good pizza due to their proximity to Italy. All week, I was disappointed till we ate here. The pizza was fresh, sauce was delicious and service was wonderful. My friend really enjoyed her lasagne as well, however my husband and I agreed that this was the best pizza we've seen in Slovenia! Enjoy!

Date of visit: June 2011