“Forget Bled - go to Lake Bohinj Pension Stare”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Stare

Hotel Stare
Melbourne, Australia
“Forget Bled - go to Lake Bohinj Pension Stare”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2012

We had a memorable stay at Pension Stare in low season (October 2012). When travelling, location is the most important feature of any accommodation. The Pension is magnificently located at the end of Lake Bohinj, in walking distance of Slovenia’s highest waterfall and a cable car that takes you up to a magnificent view of Mt Triglav and all the nearby mountains. There are regular buses to the area. The price was competitive, and while the room and bathroom were small, it was very clean and adequate. The Pension was almost full and we didn’t find it too noisy – in fact we had some great singing sessions with a large group of Hungarian walkers. The half board provided was excellent – real home cooking. The drinks offered at dinner are added to your bill and are quite pricey – you might like to ask to see the prices before ordering. The hosts are very welcoming and helpful with tips for walks in the area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Pam_Brunswick

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

I want to thank you for the wonderful stay my companion and i enjoyed with you. You worked really hard to supply all our needs and were extremely helpful with advice over fishing, walking and so on. You not only remembered to put flowers in our room but also changed them mid week.
We enjoyed our familiy room with balcony, from which every day we spied chamois on the high screes, and our meals on the patiol, particularly when we were late back from fishing.
Jose, you are a star!
Thank you so much.
Best wishes

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Allis0n_555
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

We stayed at the pension for eight days, the position of the hotel is wonderful as you are just a short walk away from the lake and the views from the hotel are lovely. The rooms are extremely small and there is hardly any storage space only a small wardrobe, there was one power point and that was above the headboard and so was next to useless. The shower room was tiny.
Breakfast was good, there was no choice as regards dinner which was always four courses but at times heavy going and when dinner finished there was no where to sit other than in our room. Surprisingly there is wifi and at no charge.
The hotel could do with being brought into the twenty first century as regards the rooms and I do think that it is overpriced for what you get but I have to say that because of the lovely setting I might be tempted to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Before booking "Hotel" Stare we had read the reviews here, so we were expecting a pretty basic standard. However, we weren't expecting a place that doesn't appear to have been refurbished since before the formation of the Slovenian state. This place is truly like stepping back in time to the communist era.

The whole place is dark with a funny dank sort of smell. The rooms are small, and to say they only contained the bare essentials is an understatement. However, even if for some reason you happen to like ultra-basic and old fashioned accommodation I still wouldn't recommend this place. Besides being uncomfortable, the rooms are also extremely noisy. The cheap cardboard-like doors offer zero sound insulation from guests passing by in the corridor or from the noise from the kitchen that comes up the stairwell. We could also hear other guests talking in their rooms, walking around, urinating in the toilet, and having a shower.

If this place was SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper then I could see the appeal for people who just want a roof over their head while they enjoy the area, but it is priced at or above the real Hotels in the area. While other reviewers praised the food, we found it well below average and if there was an option to forgo half board and pay less we would have certainly chosen it.

The only reason why I'm not giving this place a 'Terrible' rating is the location. Situated at the quiet end of the lake, just a few hundred meters from the shore, it's the perfect location to enjoy Bohinj whilst steering clear of the crowds. Just a pity that quality of the 'what' does not match the 'where'.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aaron S
Joze001, Manager at Hotel Stare, responded to this review, 12 September 2012
Your anonymous review can not be treated. To deal with introduce yourself with your full name.

We are disappointed that you didn't have the decency to communicate with us directly about your thoughts and concerns. Negative reviews happen very rarely, but most reasonable people would, at the very least, and as a courtesy, contact us directly and say something about their experience.

If I am unhappy or not completely satisfied with a product or service I will tell an owner, chef or manager at the time about my displeasure. This leads to greater satisfaction for the customer, and allows the business to correct their actions.

In the years since 1985 we have had many guests, including heads of state, ministers and celebrities. All appreciate our hospitality, good food and a personal relationship and simplicity offered by our facility.

J. Stare
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2012

You're going to get the long version of my stay at the Hotel Stare in Bohinj Bistrica.

After spending five days in Rome and Florence and seeing virtually every church, piazza, painting, statue and eating all of that Italian food (which was all very good), my wife and I departed Florence for Bohinj via the train. The Italian trains between these two points are not high speed, but they are not slow either -- very comparable to trains in the states. As my wife and I approached the Italian – Slovenian border, where we would have to get off one train (at Gorizia Centrale), catch a bus to another train in Slovenia (Nova Gorica) that is two or three miles away, I approached a young woman that was about 25 years old. I asked if she spoke English. “Of course”, she said in almost perfect English. Then I told her how I was 3/4ths Slovenian, but have never been to Slovenia before, and that I was on my way to become a true Slovenian by climbing to the top of Mt. Triglav, Slovenia’s tallest mountain. Then I asked her if she knew how the bus transfer worked between the two stations. She said, “not really, I live just down the street from the train station in Slovenia and my boyfriend always picks me up. If you want, we can give you a ride.” So we got a ride. I found out later that the bus fare was only 1 Euro per person and the bus arrived almost exactly at the same time as the train and picked everyone up. There’s only one bus so there’s no way possible to get confused as to which bus you should take. While at the Nova Gorica train station, I had to buy train tickets because only Slovenian citizens or EU citizens can buy tickets in advance. The fare was super cheap to Bohinj Bistrica. I don’t remember the exact amount but remember laughing about the cost with my wife. There’s about 10 stops before you get to Bohinj Bistrica but the easiest way to remember which stop is Bohinj is that it’s the first stop after a long five minute span through a tunnel that is pitch black. Fortunately, there are lights inside each train car. So we get to Bohinj Bistrica with the help of some old women who spoke absolutely no English but somehow figured out that we were headed to Bohinj. After each stop, they would hold up a number of fingers as to how many more stops it was until our stop. And they also gave us a soda. They were very grandmotherly to us. And after we got off the train, they stuck their heads out the window and waived goodbye to us. Very nice Slovenian ladies.

So we get to our stop, which is just like all of the other stops, a really small train station, and I ask the Station Manager, who looks a lot like my late Uncle Lenny, how can I call a taxi? He motions that I should follow him inside where he writes down the telephone numbers to four different taxis. Since there’s no pay phone inside the station, I walk outside, where there’s also no pay phones. Hmmmm…. Good thing for me that there’s a small pub right next door to the train station with a very friendly man turning handles of regional Slovenian beers. After a train ride of about an hour with no AC, only windows that go down, I was ready for a beer or two. He gladly gave us a lot of local and national Slovenian history and called a taxi for us. From the train station to the Hotel Stare, our taxi, which the Station Manager spelled taksi, cost us 18 euros. I gave him a 20, then another 5, and that seemed to make him very happy.

We arrived at the Hotel Stare at about 5:00 PM local time. It’s on the other side of the lake, pretty much all by itself. Away from all of the other many hotels and few camp sites from what they call their town. There’s really not much at all to this town except for a bunch of hotels and campsites. Nothing like Rome or Florence, which was perfect for us. You don’t go to Bohinj Bistrica for the churches, paintings or statues. You go there to get away from churches, paintings, statues and everything else. It’s in a National Park! The boat that gives tourists rides around the lake is battery operated. That’s how serious Slovenians are about preserving natural history. It’s very beautiful. Anyhow, we get the Hotel Stare at about 5:00 PM and it’s small. Probably no more than six or eight rooms max. I look for what could be a front desk. No such luck, but I do run into someone who realizes that I am there to “check in”. I tell the guy my name and he gives me a key to a room with a number on it, then he walks away. I follow him and after a few steps he turns around and says something like “what are you doing, don’t follow me, your room is up stairs”. Our room was up stairs and small and tired (as I read in another very descriptive review of this hotel) with a balcony and a little baby shower not much bigger than a cruise ship shower. But the room was also clean.

After taking showers, I asked about dinner and was told that dinner is served at 7:00 PM. We walked across the road that only gets traffic to this hotel, across a field, to the lake and dipped our feet. It was a clean lake and surprisingly warm with some swimmers swimming out in the deep parts of 40 meters or so. You should check this place out on Google satellite to get a better understanding of how Bohinj is laid out. I chose this place because it was the most secluded hotel I could find and it had good reviews. We went back for dinner and it was great. No more Italian food. Since I am 3/4ths Slovenian, this type of cooking was similar to how my grandma used to cook. I loved it and so did my Swedish wife. Actually, I’m pretty sure that Jose, the guy who runs this place, has his mother doing the cooking for dinner. At least that’s my guess. Whoever does it, does a great job.

The next day at 5:00 AM, I was set to get picked up by my guide so I could hike/climb to the top of Mt. Triglav and become a true Slovenian. My guide, Mitja Sorn (mitjasorn@gmail.com) showed up exactly at 5:00 AM. Now keep in mind as you read this that I sit down for a living. My first clue that I may have bitten off more than I can chew by planning to go all the way up and then back down in one day was Mitja. As we drove to one of Mt. Triglav’s parking lots, I looked over at Mitja’s legs. Oh no! They looked nothing like mine. Both my legs put together equaled one of his. Over the course of this journey, Mitja and I were able to talk about a lot of stuff. His English was also very good. He speaks about four different languages. I’ve never climbed a mountain before and while I was doing this, I kept thinking to myself, how the heck am I going to do this. This mountain, while not in the Himalayas nor requiring oxygen, is huge. But I followed Mitja and did what he told me to do the whole way up. Believe me, without Mitja, I would have never gotten to the top. Absolutely, positively no way. Once at the top, which took about seven hours, I was totally exhausted. We did not stop at any of the huts because rain was forecasted for the afternoon. But we did stop at the first hut on the way down, because it started to rain when we were within about 50 meters of the hut. Perfect timing. These Slovenian huts have good food in them. We had Barley soup and strudel. Just like grandma would have made. Very good stuff and not just because I was really hungry. After about an hour and a half of it raining, Mitja and I decided that if we were to get down by dark, we had to leave even though it was still raining. So we left, and as soon as we left, it stopped raining. Perfect timing. Since I was exhausted, Mitja changed our route down and telephoned a taxi to pick us up at a different parking lot from where our car was parked. It seemed like the decent was a journey that would never end. I got to ask Mitja every question I could possibly think of, including, why doesn’t this place have a zip line and what does a guy have to do around here to catch a helicopter?

We made it to the new parking lot and the taxi at 9:30 PM. Two very notable things about this. One, it was completely dark within five minutes of getting into the taxi; and two, the taxi driver was a personal friend / neighbor of Mitja’s and hot! The hottest taxi driver in the world. Yes, she was a woman. I was very happy to see her and not just because that meant I could stop walking. We saw a bunch of animals on the climb up and down including marmots, sheep, cows, owls, mice, deer, etc….

Mitja dropped me off at the Hotel Stare at 11:00 PM. I told my wife that Climbing Mt. Triglav was perhaps one of the dumbest thing I’ve ever done, because I was so totally and remarkably exhausted. But upon reflection, it was perhaps one of the coolest things that I’ve ever done. Mitja took a lot of good photos for me, since my batteries died after one photo in the parking lot. And I tell my wife that none of the really scary stuff was caught on film because when life is teetering on such a thin fine line, people don’t pull out cameras and start taking photos. That’s pretty much true from my perspective. But don’t tell that to the crazy young Slovenian cross country ski team that made it to the top about five minutes after I did. I was sitting there totally exhausted and these girls in short shorts and t-shirts come to the top practically doing hand springs. I thought I was hallucinating. Then they proceed to stamp their hands and faces with the official Mt. Triglav stamp. I was too exhausted to take the extra 10 steps to even take a closer look at the official stamp.

When I got to the Hotel Stare at 11:00 PM, Jose was still up. I told him that I was now a true Slovenian. He seemed amused that a marketing campaign as stupid as that could actually draw people to climb Mt. Triglav. And then he offered me something to eat. I asked for a sandwich but he gave me a full dinner. Now that’s what I’m talking about.

Go to Bohinj Bistrica, it’s beautiful and a great complement to an Italian vacation. The contrasts work perfectly, and stay at the Hotel Stare, a family run pension. It’s very nice, quiet, and has great home cooked Slovenian dinners (no menus). And climb Mt. Triglav with Mitja, if you want to be a true Slovenian, like me!

gnasenbeny@comcast.net
True Slovenian, July 5, 2012

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. It's over the dining patio, but it's really quiet when they clos...