“Friendly atmosphere and Comfortable accomodation”
Review of Jezero Hotel

Jezero Hotel
London, United Kingdom
“Friendly atmosphere and Comfortable accomodation”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

Perfect location, 100m from the lake, walking distance to all other amenities. Rooms are clean, with beautiful views, with carpark, internet etc. Good food based on local products. Delicious deserts!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Chichester
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We chose the Hotel Jezero having heard excellent reports from a close neighbour who had stayed there several times. I then read some Trip Advisor reports from travellers who complained about noise, food, the lift etc and wondered whether we had made a wise decision.

I am happy to report that, after staying for 7 nights at the end of August, we were pleased with our choice. That said, we can understand some of the earlier criticisms but feel they need to be kept in perspective. It may also be the case that some rooms are newer than others but our room at the front, overlooking the lake, was spotlessly clean, modern, nicely furnished and in excellent condition. The hotel does have a lift, opposite reception, and all the staff were very pleasant and efficient. The indoor pool is perfect, yet surprisingly underused.

Traffic noise is not a problem as the roads are not busy but the bell from the church opposite is rung for a while at 7-00 am every morning (then half hourly for a while on Sundays).

The catering arrangements are certainly rather strange and not in keeping with a 4 star hotel. The hotel seems to have outgrown its original dining room and now uses two larger area that lack character and appeal. The buffet system for starters and deserts worked reasonably well and provided sufficient choice. Some of the main courses were disappointing and the system for ordering a day in advance is bizarre.

The small lounge area by reception seemed hardly used, as were the two small tables, that we frequented, by the bar. Although the day-time weather was mostly perfect, we found it too cold to visit outdoor bars in the evening. We found the prices of everything to be very reasonable, compared to France, Spain or Austria.

Getting There
We travelled with Thomson/Crystal/First Choice, so had the choice of flying to either Ljubljana or Salzburg. We opted for Salzburg because the flight departure times were more civilised and the 4 hour transfer journey through the mountains is also very pleasant.

In and Around Bohinj
Lake Bohinj, which is stunningly beautiful and unspoilt, proved to be an ideal location for our 7 night stay. It is within easy reach of Bled (30 minutes by bus) and about 2 hours from Ljubljana, both of which are more commercial towns.

Many visitors to the region are keen walkers but there are sufficient day trips, to the Julian Alps, Ljubljana, Postojna Cave, Lipica (Horses) and Venice to keep everybody entertained. You will not, however, find much night life in Bohinj but there is a Post Office and small supermarket.

There is a relatively easy walk right around Lake Bohinj and a boat that crosses to the far end of the lake if you are feeling lazy or wish to visit the Slavica Falls. Having climbed the 560 steps to the falls, I must admit that we were somewhat disappointed. We found the walk around the gorge 3 km from Bled to be much better.

During 2009, Ljubljana was undergoing considerable restoration work to many buildings and roads. The locals compare it to Prague and tend to over-hype the castle but it is worth a visit.

Overall, we would definitely recommend both Bohinj and the Hotel Jezero.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chichester_Duo
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed here in July for two nights. The purpose of the trip was to climb Mt. Triglav which is located in Triglav national park approximately a 45 minute drive from the hotel. Hotel staff spoke adequate English. Our group had 3 rooms which were located on the 2nd floor in the extra "wing" of the hotel which had an inside swimming pool and other recreational facilities.

Rooms where standard hotel rooms with balconies towards the lake. Everything was clean and in order. Rooms included a buffet type of breakfast which was satisfactory with basic assortment of breakfast alternatives. Otherwise the quality of the hotel restaurant was pretty basic - nothing fancy in restaurant decor or menu. On the other hand some of the other restaurants in the area were not that special either. Hotel had a working WLAN / WiFi.

All in all, a standard hotel (international 3 star level) with good location by the lake and the few bars / restaurants surrounding the area as well as Triglav National Park. If compared with local standards this hotel would probably be a standard 3 + or 4 star hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank Helsinkiglobus
Lancashire, England
Reviewed 21 August 2007

What can we say about the Hotel Jezero? Well, firstly although it's advertised as a 4 star Hotel, by average standards of hotels we've experienced it's at best a good 2 star. It's clean and comfortable but lacks a lot of features found in other 4 star hotels. In some respects it's a bit like a glorified guest house. Meals for the following day have to be booked in advance the day before, a feature of cheaper half board hotels that I detest - how the hell do I know what I'm going to feel like eating 24 hours hence?

And there's the rub! The food is quite unremarkable here and invariably you get brought the wrong order anyway. It happened to us, and we witnessed it happen to a few other guests as well. On each occasion the waiter or waitress argued that the wrong meal had been ordered - it was never their mistake. They would actually stand there and argue about it with the guests.

For a country trying hard to cash in on the lucrative tourist market, if this is more broadly typical of their attitude to customer relations then I'm afraid they have a lot to learn! Staff here are a bit stand offish and have an infuriating air of superiority, while the receptionists never seem to do anything apart from offer their forced smiles to everyone who passes.

In a 4 star hotel we didn't expect to have to queue up at a buffet bar for our starters and deserts - the main course was delivered to our table, but relishes etc we had to fetch ourselves, as we did with breakfast. The buffet & breakfast items would often run out, and would never be replenished 'til after that happened - why not fill up when the items get low? Little things like this set it apart from a real 4 star hotel. So who gave it the 4 star rating? According to the plaque outside on the wall, none other than the Slovenian Ministry for Tourism. No surprise there!

We were woken every morning around 6.30 by lorries delivering to the nearby shops and to the hotel itself. It wasn't so much the revving of Diesel engines, although that was bad enough, it was those awful reversing buzzers - not good at that hour of the morning when you're on holiday

On the plus side the hotel does have a nice swimming pool that guests can use free of charge, but when we went to use it there there were unsupervised kids in there making it impossible to swim. There is a secure car park, with a barrier but that is there more to stop day trippers getting in than to stop anyone having it away with you car or motorcycle!.

The saddest thing of all is that the hotel is in the most beautiful spot imaginable - and for that we can forgive it all of the above shortcomings. It lies at the head of Lake Bohinj, a beautiful deep glacial lake with the clearest blue / green water, surrounded by soaring mountains. There are lovely forest walks, several ways to explore the lake - by dinghy, Kayak or tourist boat.

Would I come back to this hotel? you bet your life I would - just to be near that lake and those mountains again, as a photographer I had found my dream. Slovenia is indeed a beautiful country.

• Liked — Beautiful Location
  • Disliked — Attitude of Staff. Overinflated rating, never in tis world a 4 star hotel
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank deltic
Midlands
Reviewed 19 July 2007

This hotel is in a great location - next to the lake and close to the amenities on offer. We found the hotel to be spotlessly clean, friendly staff and a wonderful room with immaculate and contemporary bathroom. We had a small balcony and, although not overlooking the lake, we did have a nice view of the mountains behind the hotel. The furniture was all in excellent condition and we had great nights sleep here. However, the food is disappointing. We were crammed into the restaurant having to share a table with other holidaymakers - as the other guests did not speak our language communication was difficult and the resultant lack of it rather uncomfortable for all. The food is poor and some main courses were awful. On a brighter note the starters and desserts comprise a buffet which have some nice selections and something to fill up on! There is no lift so ask for a room on the lower floors if you can't take the stairs. The hotel isn't ideal for younger guests and the bar shuts very early (10 ish). Overall, this hotel is in a fantastic location and is great for a quiet and relaxing holiday, but I would recommend having only bed and breakfast and heading out for dinner.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Evening Meal
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
Belfast
Reviewed 29 June 2007

I stayed in Hotel Jezero in June and I would recommend the hotel to anyone. We booked through LowCostBeds and got a very reasonable rate for half board. We flew to Brnik Airport and hired a car. The drive up is very straight forward and took us about an hour to get to the hotel. Car parking at the hotel is free. All you have to do is follow the signs for Bled then drive through Bled following the signs for Bohinj. On arrival the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. We had rooms in the new part of the hotel which I believe are bigger than those in the old section. These rooms were very comfortable and included all the necessary home comforts. I would only have one negative point to make about the room. The new rooms are built right beside the indoor pool. As such the whole area is like a sauna. This would be fine in winter, but in summer, with the temperature already in the mid 20's, I did find the rooms quite warm at night. We did sleep with the door to the balcony open and this did keep the room cool during the night. I could only imagine that the rooms would be even hotter during July and August.

I am someone who enjoys my food and I had no complaints about the breakfast and evening meals we received. For our first evening meal we were shown to our table which was then reserved for the rest of our stay. The choice and quality of the food was excellent and the waiters / waitresses were very friendly.

The location of the hotel is second to none as it it only a stones throw away from the lake. We also availed of the mini golf which is located close to the hotel and which is free. The course is not in the best of shape, but still worth a go. As I mentioned before there is a good sized indoor pool and also a weights room and a table tennis table. All these are free to hotel guests.

There is a small Mercator supermarket, a post office and the tourist information office about 50 yards from the hotel. There are also several small bars / cafes around the hotel.

I have stayed in other 4 star hotels which may have been a bit bigger and a bit grander - but some of those hotels can be less personal. All the staff we encountered in the Hotel Jezero were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. I enjoyed my stay there very much and would definitely use it again if I am lucky enough to go back to Bohinj. If you are pondering whether to stay in Bled or Bohinj, I would definitely recommend Lake Bohinj. Bled is only 25 minute away by car and a couple of day trips there let s you see all you need.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank rjvc
Bury st Edmunds
Reviewed 24 March 2007

My husband and I stayed at this hotel with another couple at the begining of March - using it as a base for our skiing trip. I booked the rooms directly with the hotel via email - booking was very easy.

The hotel is next to the lake and some of the rooms overlook the lake (although there is a road between the hotel and the lake). There is a small supermarket / shop in the village as well as a pizza restuarant, night club (although this was closed), post office, bank and tourist info centre. As well as a couple of other hotels.

The hotel itself has an 'old' and 'new' part. My husband and I booked a room in the old part of the hotel. The room was slightly dated but perfectly comfortable and clean. It had a balcony, TV and mini bar. The other couple we went with had a room in the 'new' part of the hotel - thier room was larger, brighter and had a bath as well as a shower, a larger TV and also a balcony. Both types of rooms are priced accordingly and it depends what you prefer.

We had the half board option at the hotel. After reading reviews I was unsure of what to expect with the food.. I have to say that it was not bad at all. Breakfast is buffet style, with lots of cold meat and cheese, yoghurts, cereals etc.. there is also a hot option with bacon etc. Evening meal was buffet starters including soup, a choice of 4 main courses which are served to your table, and then buffet dessert. The main course was nothing special but was filling and hot - so fine for us. Drinks with dinner are very reasonable about 2.80 euro for 500ml beer and 5.50 euro for half a litre of house wine, which tasted fine. The 'hot red wine' served in the bar is delicious and the best I had all week. Dont expect a late night in the bar.. Final orders are taken at 10pm sharp.. and when my mum asked for a cocktail at this time the request was not well recieved! This may have been because the hotel was not very busy and between winter and summer seasons. To be honest we were so tired after skiing we rarely saw 10pm in the bar after the first day!

In general (apart from one waiter) the staff were very friendly and we keen to help.

This is the first time our group have ever gone skiing and so we had a course of lessons booked with the Ski school finzgar at Vogel Ski resort. I would highly recomend the ski school they were fantastic! The hotel were very accomodating and arranged a mini bus to take us to and from the cabe car at vogel every day free of charge. The trip took 5 mins. (there is also a local ski bus)

I would recomend this hotel to people looking for a good value bed in a beautiful location - ideal for exploring the surrounding area. Dont bother if you are looking for a luxury break spending all your time in the hotel. I am definitley planning a return trip to Slovenia this summer - but camping this time, although I would come back to this hotel again. I can highly recomend Slovenia for anyone who wants a cheap skiing holiday!

• Liked — Proximity to the lake and Vogel ski resort
  • Disliked — Hotel was quiet and so lacked atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
#3 of 23 in Bled
Hotel Bohinj
Hotel Bohinj
#9 of 9 in Bohinjsko Jezero

Been to Jezero Hotel? Share your experiences!