“Still the best in town”

Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Kranjska Gora
odsmal
“Still the best in town”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Our last visit did not make us disappointed.
The same very friendly manager, Romana.
A pleasant room, clean and with everthing
you need for a short or long stay.
The Location is great.
The food in the restaurant is great.
The only constant little downside is the
somewhat stressful atmosphere among
the waiters there.
Apart from that, everything is very fine

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
London, UK
Reviewed 17 September 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Kotnik for 5 nights in early September as a base from which to go walking in the surrounding mountains.

The location of the hotel is great. It's right in the centre of Kransjka Gora and within easy reach of the trail heads. Our room (we were in the one bedroom suite on the top floor) was huge, well equipped and very clean. The views out over the rooftops towards the mountains were beautiful.

Some of the staff we met were extremely friendly and helpful, others were less so which was a shame.

Unfortunately I agree with Amber Rambler about the flies. We got really frustrated constantly batting them away in both the restaurant and the pizzeria. We also found a dead fly in our scrambled egg which really put us off our breakfast but didn't seem to concern the staff.

That said the pizzas are excellent.

Room Tip: If you want a view then ask for the top floor.
Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank YoungCoupleBeckenham
Enfield,UK
Reviewed 16 September 2012

The hotel is a fine building in beautiful condition and my room was lovely and spacious, The breakfast is as good as you will get short of one guest house I recently visited in the USA where the host was a gourmet chef. For example, one does not expect a choice of nine cereals plus nuts and raisins. If you want hot a fairly decent bacon and scrambled egg, a choice of cakes and fruit and more.

But what was exceptional was that all the staff were friendly and helpful, including in their restaurant and pizzeria alongside the hotel. My only adverse comment is that the restaurant food while of good quality lacked imagination, was somewhat over-cooked and occasionally far too salty (when none should be added unless by the customer) but I am told by other visitors that this is Slovenia, not this hotel in particular and I did run into this elsewhere myself including in Ljubljana. That is the only reason I did not give six stars out of five!!!

Petra deserves a special mention. Throughout my stay, nothing was too much trouble for her and when I arrived she spent a lot of time explaining every little thing I asked, giving me every prospect of making my stay as enjoyable as possible and getting the most of what the area around Kranjska Gora has to offer.

While I write a little additional advice that you will not find in the guides. The Vrsic Pass just south of Kranjska Gora is stunning but the best route is not publicised. I was lucky to figure it out while looking for an alternative before I even left home should I want to avoid having to go through 50 hair pin bends on both the outward journey and then back again. After going only to the top of the pass and back to Kranjska Gora on my first day there I realised as most people will agree that the views on that stretch are far better going north through the pass so I went on my alternative route the way I am about to tell you and I strongly advise you do the same. You'll need to hire car and be a confident driver but the road is excellent and the hairpin bends well laid out even if rather testing.

From Kranjska Gora head west into Italy but make sure your car hire allows you to do that. You will go through lovely scenery most of the way turning south in the vicinity of Tarvisio and onto Lago del Predel just before you head more or less eastwards back into Slovenia. You will see that on the map at http://maps.nokia.com/46.4456805,13.6952628,12,0,0,normal.day just below the SP76 route label on this map. Stop there and have a good look as it is quite beautiful. From there head towards Bovec on the 203 but turn left to head towards the pass before you quite reach the town. Bovec is sleepy but quite smart and a good point to head for a break and a coffee en route.From Bovec the views of the mountains get better and better on the 203 towards the Vrsic Pass but they already have been so good, you might not be expecting anything better. From Trenta they are stupendous yet even so they still get better until you get to near the summit when IMO the views have tailed off a little. But as you start downhill from there they are near their best again and only diminish in beauty a little most of the way down. But finally, do stop off at the tiny lakes very near to the road (at first it looks like there only is one) only about 2 km before you reach Kranjska Gora. From the road it looks like nothing but stop the car and take in the fabulous view, if not as close up to the mountains as in the pass, almost as stunning.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Contrajur
UK
Reviewed 14 September 2012 via mobile

We have just stayed here for 4 nights. The hotel is in the centre of the village. Romana the owner has this place spotlessly clean. We had a nice room overlooking the mountains. Breakfast was good. We had dinner in both the pizza place and hotel restaurant.. The food was excellent and very reasonably priced. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
Valencia, Spain
Reviewed 11 September 2012

A nice hotel just in the center of Kranjska Gora with comfortable rooms and a very good restaurant. We were there 4 nights and we enjoyed very much both at the room as well as at the restaurant below.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank APG61
El Dorado Hills, California
Reviewed 8 August 2012

This is not the lap of luxury...who cares. You are in Slovenia in a picture perfect mountain town staying in one of the main squares. Some rooms (ours) were just above the really good pizzeria downstairs...the only issue was the smell of great food wafting through our room. We fit a family of four into the room ( they have one or two to fit a family). We did not interact with the staff much but just a great town and a solid choice of hotel in this great town

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rich K
Chaldon, Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in June, with a party of 17 ramblers. The rooms are large and attractive,very comfortable beds, and everything was clean and smart. The hotel manager couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. They have a very nice terrace at the front, looking out over the town. There is a small lounge downstairs with tea and coffee making facilities, and a 2nd room with a large flat-screen TV.
The restaurant and attached pizzeria were OK - food was acceptable if unexciting, but I'd definitely stay there again if I had the chance.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd floor at the front have a sloping ceiling - not a big problem but I did manage to...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends