“Fantastic hotel.”
Review of Hotel Lek

Hotel Lek
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Kranjska Gora
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed in the Hotel Lek for a ski trip in mid January and enjoyed every minute of my stay. Friendly staff, good food, excellent facilities. There are a couple of hotels in the resort which are closer to the slopes but if you don't mind a 5-10 minute walk it's perfect. It's a little cheaper than the others for this reason.
Every night I looked forward to dinner and was never disappointed; excellent range of choices and you could visit the buffet as often as you liked.
The gym & pools are great for loosening up the joints after a day on the slopes.
Lots of the guests were repeat visitors and on very good terms with the staff; health & finances permitting I'll be back next year!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank John H
There are newer reviews for Hotel Lek

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Fabulous hotel. Rooms are spacious and clean, food is all buffet style and is very good. The staff were extremely helpful and all had excellent English. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were fabulous for apres ski! We booked as part of a package through Thompson and found it extremely good value for money.

Room Tip: We had three rooms between our group and they were all equally clean and spacious
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank celiadt
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The hotel is very clean, staff are more than friendly, it has a Bar, 24 reception, Swimming pool, Jacuzzi, Sauna(extra charge), boot room and is only 5 minutes walk from the slopes. Yes, The food in the resteraunt is a little basic, but always good quality and plenty of choice. The breakfast was excellent, with an egg chef at the ready to make you an omlette or fried eggs to your liking.
We booked with Crystal and had a small room in the eaves. It was more than enough room for what we required and also had a very nice, fairly recently refurbished bathroom.
To sum up, this hotel is great value. it definitely warrants the 4 stars for it's service and ammenities. It does have a couple of minor draw backs, the hotel bar closes at 10pm, far too early! and there are no tea/coffe making facilities in the room (this is normal for Slovenia though).
If you are looking for a good value, clean, well maitained hotel as a base for skiing or walking in Kranjska, I can highly recommend the Hotel lek.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul D
Reviewed 2 March 2013

We booked our skiing holiday at this hotel through Kompas travel agency and are deeply unhappy. We believe this is a rip off. Our room ( in the loft) was so small that we couldn't open our suitcase, which is average size. When we complained at the reception we were offered a more spacious room which is actually for the handicapped people. It has two separete beds ( we travelled as a couple) and the bathroom is specially equipped for people with special needs. The only other possibility was to pay extra 140€ to get a standard room ( what we did), which again does not meet the standards of a 4 star hotel. It is cold (we got an extra heater later) and the bathroom is again extra small, there is no mini-bar or bathrobes. The sauna is ok although extra charged. The staff at the restaurant are very friendly, and they are hotel's most valuable resource. We felt really welcome in the restaurant. I would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lyerka S
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We are a family of 2 adults and 4 children(14-7) and we all thought this hotel was excellent. We have now stayed here twice for family ski holidays and both times the hotel staff were very friendly and spoke perfect English. Breakfast and evening meals were buffet style with enough choice to suit everyone in our group and we thought were very nice. The small pool complex was great for after ski swimming. We would recommend this resort for mixed skiing ability families and beginners. We would love to come back to this hotel again and would recommend it to any family wishing to go skiing.

Room Tip: A balcony was no great advantage for us.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Chris da skiier i
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I have just returned from a week's ski-ing holiday at Hotel Lek. Firstly, I should say that I desperately wanted to give this hotel 4 stars and dithered about it, but this just not would be an honest review if I did. There is nothing seriously wrong or sinister, it just all very mediocre and isn't what I would call a 4 star establishment. I have read many other reviews of the Lek on here, most of which are extremely complimentary, but I am afraid I have to agree with those in the 'mediocre' category.

The first thing that hits one on arrival (and not in a good way) is the 1970s style decor. Our room (for myself and my two children) was a standard family room and I have to say it was pretty cramped. On entry, one was immediately struck almost dumb by the lurid orange curtains and the alarming 70s carpet and furniture. My bed was a converted sofa which involved a hard mattress on an even harder wooden bench. It was not what I would expect from a four star hotel and really was very uncomfortable. The pillows were more like empty matchbox sized pillow cases and we had one each. I had to ask for more, but really, one would need half a dozen each to achieve the effect of a single pillow back home! The bathroom was absolutely tiny although the hot towel rail was a blessing for drying wet ski gear. Finally, there is not only no kettle or tea making facilities in the room, there is no English tea available AT ALL. I don't think the Slovenians drink it.Therefore, make sure you take your travel kettle and your PG Tips if, like me, you can't live without a good brew in the morning!

Undoubtedly the worst aspect of the Lek was the food. To say it is "hearty home cooking" is an insult to hearty home cooking. Every night was a choice of either some completely unidentifiable meat fried in some sort of breadcrumb coating or else some kind of 'stew' (again made with largely unidentifiable meat) all served up with mercilessly overboiled plain vegetables. My children, who are generally good eaters, survived on bread and ham for the entire week, whilst I persevered with the unappetising fare (for which I regard myself as deserving of a medal). The puddings largely consisted of what can only be described as unidentifiable gelatinous and unnaturally colourful 'blobs'.

Our quality of sleep was very patchy as the rest of our landing was occupied by several rowdy Slovenian families who allowed their children to race up and down the corridor screaming until past 11 every night. Of course this was not the hotel's fault and they were very quick to come and deal with it when I eventually complained, but they then let themselves down by hosting a rowdy corporate function on our last night with thumping disco and folk music until the early hours, knowing full well that many of their guests had to be up at 5am to travel home.

To be fair there were a number of good points too. The staff were mostly very courteous and helpful. Everyone seemed to speak English to some extent and they all obviously loved children. The place was very clean, including our room, and there was a fairly good selection of salad each night to counteract the atrocious hot dishes. Everything seemed very cheap - I only spent EUR26 in the whole week - admittedly I didn't drink any alcohol, but even so! The pool area is a real bonus, especially for the children, and is open all day. Finally the location is to die for - the view from our (small and basic) room was worth the money in itself. Although not the closest hotel to the slopes, this was not important to us and we absolutely loved waking up and looking out at the river and the mountains directly in front of us.

Overall I certainly would not discourage anyone from staying at the Hotel Lek. It is all very well meaning, but the decor and the food just weren't quite up to 4 star standard, and more importantly cost, in my humble opinion.

Room Tip: I would def pay for a superior room next time and also there is a whole new block at the back which...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Bridget_Guernsey
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Lek March 2012 - a last minute 'cheap as chips' ski deal with family so we weren't sure what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised. We booked through Crystal via Co-op travel, Clifton Moor York who were very helpful. Swift flight Newcastle to Salzburg and once you get through the mayhem at Salzburg airport - you have to persevere and find a Crystal rep, there is a delightful, though very long, bus trip through the Austrian countryside stopping off at a gorgeous traditional cafe on the way. Reception at hotel are efficient and became more friendly throughout the week. Crystal were very good generally and one of the trips is a day trip to Venice (Kranska Gora is very close to the Italian border) which was wonderful, a real treat.

Rooms; fine, clean, warm with modern bathrooms but the small family room my sister's family had booked was not big enough for 2 adults and 2 children so I accommodated one of their kids in our room ( I have one child); the manager did apologise but because the hotel was full there was no where to move to - The World Championships are partly held here and several of the teams were staying there including one of the world champions so there was a great atmosphere in the hotel.

Food; Plenty of choice, buffet style and suited all ages from salads to pasta, soup, casseroles

Drinks; reasonable prices, friendly bar downstairs and different special offers everyday at supper. I would never had tried the grapefruit lager if it hadn't been on offer at about 30p and it was really refreshing!

Ski-ing; Lockers are provided and are free but we found it more convenient to pay for lockers in The Larix hotel right next to the slopes. Very family friendly area and not too many idiots on the slopes!

Pool; Quite chilly so it was in for a few lengths then straight to the lovely warm whirlpool and jacuzzi. We didn't use the sauna or gym.

Kranska Gora; Very picturesque village, small, quiet and not noted for its nightlife which is just what we wanted. great supermarket and amazingly cheap local food and drinks.

Highly recommended if you want a three star family friendly holiday for ski ing and I will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family