“closest to tourist trap”

Gostilna Sokol Ljubljana
Ranked #71 of 637 Restaurants in Ljubljana
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is the closest place in Ljubljana, which can be called a tourist trap. The waiters are in dressed in national clothes and the music is slovenian variety of alpine folk music. The food is reasonable. Prices are high for the quality. Wiaters are kind, although ineffective. Location is great in the centre.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,030)

Reviewed 11 January 2014

On my last light in Ljubljana I chose this restaurant based on the good reviews. Unfortunately, of my three dinners in Ljubljana, this was my least favorite.

I started with the mushroom risotto. It resembled nothing of a risotto at all. It was more like rice with mushrooms and gravy. For my main meal I ordered the Game Plate. The wild boar was tough, chewy and difficult to cut. The venison and stag were both fairly tender, but all three meats had much too much sauce on them. The three sides were nothing to write home about. The price was quite expensive considering the quality of the food was not that great.

I'd also like to comment that the waiter was less than personable. He merely took my order, delivered my food and cleared the dirty dishes. He never even asked how the food was even though he spoke very clear English.

I would definitely recommend trying one of the many other restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

We took a guided walking tour of Ljubljana and we stopped in this restaurant to taste some Slovenian specialities ( included in the cost of the tour ) and we liked so much the atmosphere of the restaurant that we decided to come back for a late lunch !
The ''decor'' is reminiscent of an old tavern with a second floor filled with artifacts !The service is quite friendly and the staff is quite available to explain the items on the menu .
The menu offers a wide selection of Slovene dishes and the local wine is pretty good !
Overall , if a tourist wants to taste some local food in Slovenia in a Slovenian environment , this is a good place to go

Reviewed 8 January 2014

After many years, still going on! This is the right Ljubljana restaurant, with good atmosphere for meeting friends and for bringing back the memories. Food is better than few years ago, also service is not bad, but the restaurant is missing the touch of new and something, that remembers you on today. Anyhow, we enjoyed the evening there.

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

I had my usual trip to Ljubljana. So I had to find a restaurant for dinner. I have find this local restaurant. The food simple but very good but the beer is fantastic! You should tast it.