“Good budget place to sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Center

Hotel Center
Ranked #13 of 55 Ljubljana B&B and Inns
Roswell, Georgia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,383 helpful votes
“Good budget place to sleep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at Hotel Center for 5 nights while we were exploring Ljubljana and Slovenia. For 60 euros/night, you can't beat the price and the location.

The rooms were what you'd expect from a budget hotel--sparse, but clean. Each side of the bed had a bedside table, the bathroom was quite nice and clean, and we were provided with a fan (it was at least 90 F every day). No TV in the room, but that was fine by us. Breakfast was not included, we were given vouchers to buy breakfast for 4 euros in the bar next door. We didnt' end up using them, because it was cheaper to buy from the bakery down the street. If you rely on the bar, however, be aware that they're closed on Sundays and holidays, so the option was only available to us 2 of the 4 days we were staying.

Now, as for the noise--yes, there is definitely noise from the road, so make sure you bring earplugs. That being said, for the location (5-min walk from the old town), you won't find a better price. I much prefer road noise to bar noise, so it wasn't as bad for me. The noise was a lot better with the window closed, but it became unbearably hot. It was also hot in the hallway because there are no windows/AC/etc., so there is no air movement.

We found that all of the people who worked at reception were nice and helpful, especially Alexandra. She gave us several suggestions on places to eat, things to see, etc. Any time we had a question, she was great.

Overall, yes, Hotel Center does have a noise problem, but for the price and location, you really can't beat it. The rooms are basic but well equipped and very clean.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank skipitgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Let me say first of all, I'm not fussy in any way when it comes to hotels, if I sleep well I'm happy. I've seen reviews of people complaining that the paint work was below par etc. I've slept in the grubbiest of hostels and had a wonderful nights sleep. This is just my experience of the place and also hopefully helpful information for others.

Access up to the rooms is up two steep flights of stairs and is definitely unsuitable for the elderly or handicapped. For us isn't wasn't too much of a problem though.

Staff seemed friendly enough and they have a policy of if you want your room cleaned you leave a card hanging on the door. Which is good so you're not constantly being disturbed.

Rooms are smallish but easily big enough for the both of us.

Bathrooms are very good with excellent showers, which were perfect after a long day out.

We paid upfront as they explained that they aren't at reception 24/7, which is fair enough and we had no problem with this. Though anyone booking, I'd recommend emailing them in advance to advise your arrival time so that someone is there to meet you.

Breakfast is at the sandwich bar next door, you get the choice of toast, croissants or sandwich. You get given a voucher on arrival and you can use it to buy breakfast for about 4 euros.

Quality of sleep.... This is where we had a big problem and this is how I judge a hotel.

The rooms are like ovens and it gets unbearably hot, so the window open is a must... However, the window looks onto the main road into town which is a 4 lane road and bus route. Unfortunately there isn't a fan of any description so the window has to be left open. Although even when it is shut, the noise from the larger vehicles was enough to wake us up.

Another problem we encountered on both nights was the phone in the reception. It is very loud and sound travels a lot in this place as the rooms are only just down a flight of stairs from it.

The main problem was that as the reception is only manned from 8am, the phone was constantly ringing from about 6am, making it impossible to sleep during this time, and even when there were staff there they were in no rush to pick up the phone to stop the ringing.

I do not like to leave bad reviews on people's businesses as it is their lively hood, but this was the worst 2 nights sleep I have ever had and found myself in envy of the homeless man I saw soon after sound as sleep in the park.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank kentspitfire
Marko041, Manager at Hotel Center, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
We regret that the guests did not make a complaint after their first night as we could place them into one of the other 17 rooms (and even on another floor). We have fans but we place them into the rooms only in july and august as they would only be in the way when there is not so hot outside, and also our rooms have very high ceilings (3,7 m) what is the reason why even in the hottest days the rooms do not warm up as much as the ones with lower ceilings (normally 2,4 m). We apologize for the telephone ringing and we have also already reduced the volume of the ring tone. All of the personnel of the Hotel Center is trying very hard to please the guests as well as higly appreciate all kinds of opinions. However we try to solve all of the complaints as soon as possible and we are sorry that we had to learn about yours via TripAdvisor.
Hotel Manager,
Marko Tramsek

Travellers are raving about these Ljubljana hotels

Canterbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

The Hotel Center lives up to its name - you could hardly find a better located hotel for access to Ljubljana old town and sights, and the bus and train stations are only a 10 minute walk away. The room itself was OK, clean if a bit gloomy. There was free internet (and complementary oranges!) but no TV. At 60 euro per night is represents good value for money, though inevitably there is some traffic noise. A good place to stay if you just want somewhere to sleep and wash and intend to spend as much time as possible out and about.

Room Tip: Rooms facing away from the street are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Reg44
Columbus, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

My wife and I stayed here Nov.17. Let me say the city is fantastic. We need to go back fo a longer stay. The hotel is easy to find, 10 minutes from the train station and about the same to to old town. The staff is friendly and the rooms are modern and look like they have been updated. But it was noisey. Not from the club which I'm sure can be loud but from the street. Now if you can sleep with earplugs,which I can, then it's ok. But the wife could not sleep with them so neither of us got a good night's rest because she keep asking me how I could sleep and why I picked this place. Too bad about he noise and I don't know what they can do about it. I would not stay here again. Sorry.

Room Tip: Good luck.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank columbusJO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

Decent hotel in city center, few minutes away from main square. Small, cozy hotel, mainly for young people.
Only problem can be Night club under hotel, that can have VERY loud parties, up to 5 am (we stayed 5 nights, one was problematic).
Overall, great value for money + polite staff that even made full refund to us cause we had to leave 1 night earlier.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Sanitarium
Annapolis Valley, NS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

My wife and I spent the night of October 14, 2011, at Hotel Center. It is a small 8 room hotel hidden away down an alley just off one of the main streets of this wonderfully, compact city. The room was clean, bright and modern with an efficient use of space. The location is one of its best features, as it is only a 10 minute walk from the bus/train station and only minutes from the Triple Bridge and Market area of the Old Town. Hotel Center’s one inconvenience is due to it only being staffed limited hours, we had a little difficulty leaving our bags after check-out, which was a matter of leaving our keys, but then it was uncertain if we could get back in when we needed to get our bags. As it turned out we had no problem but if our timing had been different it could have been problematic.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had booked in for 2 nights. When we arrived the staff were friendly and the hotel itself is very clean and in a central location. However, it is above a night club/ late bar and between the noise from that and the street we got no sleep at all! Considering it was a Monday night, we thought we would be ok and go with the cheaper option but we checked out straight away the next morning!

You have to pay for your room in advance which I thought was a bit unusual. If you want to take a chance, I'd suggest paying by night just in case. However, when we went to complain there was no problem getting the 2nd night refunded.

Ljubljana isn't a cheap city for hotels but if you are visiting the city it is worth while doing some research. I'd pick a hostel over this hotel!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple