“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful City” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa

Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Ljubljana
Albuquerque
“Beautiful Hotel in a Beautiful City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

We stayed at the Antiq Palace in late August for one night, after driving all of the way up from Dubrovnik. We will never forget how nice this hotel is, and how nice the city is.

After having dealt with the disaster of parking in Dubrovnik (and Venice) we were a bit concerned at this point in our trip, trying to overplan it a bit. But Ljubljana is definitely a smallish city, and there is a very adequate public parking area right nearby (at the corner of Zoisova Cesta and Emonska Cesta ... look on Google maps to the southwest of the hotel a couple hundred of feet ... in satellite view it looks like a construction site, but it's actually a parking area ... maybe 7 euros for 24 hours?).

When we arrived at the hotel we were met by one of their receptionists, a college age guy that apologized profusely for not being in uniform (apparently he was going off shift or something, and the guy coming on shift was helping someone else to a room). I bring this up for two reasons ... it shows how well they treat you (and genuinely care for you - he was going off shift and could have just told us to wait!), and also that he (like everyone at the hotel) spoke perfect English. While we normally could have cared less about people speaking English so much, at the end of a 2 1/2 week trip it was a refreshing thing to hear.

He immediately led us to our "room". Now, unless you're used to staying in multi-room suites, this is going to be a very, very nice shock to you. The key opened up double glass doors ... I thought we were going into another hallway or something to go to our room. No, this *was* our "room"! He showed us the lights and layout, and was on his way. The kitchen itself was probably 400 sq ft, the living room area was probably 500+ sq ft, and then the bedroom another ~400 sq ft. I mean, seriously, this place was probably 1400-1500 sq ft total! For our entire trip - which included hotel nights in London, Vienna, Munich, Venice, Split, and Dubrovnik - we didn't stay in a place half this size or even half this nice! The ceilings are all ~12 ft, with chandeliers everywhere. The place is certainly furnished quite well - nice couches/chairs in the living room, a nice table, a huch, etc, and it still has this huge feel to it. All I could think of was - with embassies nearby - government officials coming to town and setting up shop in a place like this (there would be plenty of room for computers, for having meetings in these suites, etc).

The only knock on the room would be that - because it's in a historic building - they're not allowed to modify much to allow for things like air conditioning ... I think maybe their lobby was air conditioned, and maybe some of their new suites will be (there was some serious remodeling going on in another wing of the hotel ... not loud at all, though). But you really don't need AC there ... however, this will cause you to open up the windows if it's unseasonably warm (it happened to be the night that we were there). Since we were on the ground floor, this may mean people passing by your (open) windows on the way into or out of the town center. It was not a problem for us, but I could see some people not being a fan of it. Keep in mind, your room might be in a total different location (upstairs).

Our biggest regret is that we only stayed for one night - in our trip planning we unfortunately totally overlooked this city, and - really - this country. I feel bad saying this, especially because the people here (this hotel, this city, this country) were so incredibly nice, and they live in a gorgeous country. If I had to sum it up, I'd say that it has a Western European feel to it (certainly it's very much like its neighbor Austria), while having Eastern European prices (inexpensive). But I can say that we'll most certainly be back ... to both this country and this hotel!

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong with a room here.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DaBretty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2011

We recently stayed at the Antiq Palace and were completely wowed by the hotel and the staff. We booked by phone and were pleased to find that they spoke very good English so it was easy to complete the booking and get the directions. The staff were extremely pleasant and accomodating. Our train into Ljubljana didn't arrive until 2:00 AM but when we arrived there was someone waiting at the front desk for us. Our room was huge! Technically I suppose it was a whole apartment, with 2 bedrooms, sitting room, kitchen and bathroom, and there was even a washing machine. The ceilings were about 12 ft. high, and the windows opened to let a lovely breeze blow through. There were beautiful hardwood floors throughout, and lots of natural light. Breakfast the following morning was very good as well.

But it was the hotel staff that really set this hotel apart. When it came time to check out, the woman on the front desk was extremely helpful in recommending a hotel at our next stop, and then she even made a call for us and got us the room with a better deal on the rate. And she arranged for our car rental, right down to having the car dropped off at the hotel.

Our only disappointment was that we couldn't stay longer at this hotel! But we will definitely be back, as we loved both the hotel and the city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

The Antiq Palace is an absolute joy to stay in. The staff are wonderful and the hotel is a rambling adventure of corridors and stairways. The rooms range from comfortable singles to awesome suites. The location of the hotel at the centre of the old town could not be bettter. I recently stayed there after a conference at Lake Bled and my colleagues were green with envy. I would not consider staying anywhere else in Ljubljana. Trust me on this.

Room Tip: I recommend paying a bit extra for a suite. They are huge, and add a whole new dimension to your st...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank driverrolf
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2011

Relaxing, quiet, pristine clean, elegant facilities. The all white decor and white lily aroma made the hotel enchanting, enough so that I even extended my stay because I fell in love with Ljubljana and the comfort of the hotel. I stayed in August and am used to Chicago hot temperatures, I did not mind the lack of air conditioning. It is secure and I was fine leaving my window open at night letting the breeze come through. Even better to be woken by fresh coffee and a great buffet breakfast waiting. Alas, I did not mention the best part - the spa and jacuzzi can be reserved for the privacy of guests. Nothing is more relaxing with Cafe Del Mar playing in the background. Thank you to the great staff, especially Guj (spelling?), who even helped me arrange all my next travels. For the value, price, location, this place cannot be beat. It is one of my favorites in all of Europe.

Room Tip: For a solo traveler, the Petite Suite was perfect. Double bed in a smaller room and shower, overlook...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Sarah G
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

Quaint, clean, convenient, friendly staff, amazing breakfast buffet. Only complaint is that there was no air conditioning in the room and the only window in the room was a large window that opened straight onto the walkway outside my room. I could not leave the window open during the night because anyone could have stepped through the window into my room. The staff provided a fan for me, but the room was quite stuffy and warm due to lack of AC and inability to safely leave the window open at night. I probably would not go back because of this one issue, but it otherwise was a great play to stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2011

Besides the beatiful decoration and the soothing atmosphere , the professionality and the kindness of the staff -to be exact Kathy and Roc (sorry for spelling mistakes) stunned us .We love travelling We have stayed at many hotels but never met such an efficient receptionist . Our apartment was very large and comfortable . We did feel at home .
Overall it was a perfect experience and we do want to come back during winter as we are sure that it will be a lovely place with snow as well.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Stayed here by myself for one night only - right in the heart of old town Ljubljana. Stunning hotel, lovely girl on reception helped me out with everything.

• Stayed September 2011