Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Emonec(Ljubljana)
US$250
US$242
US$226
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmusic schoolmusic conservatoryold palacejacuzzi bathtwo bedroom suitecharming buildingold townsitting roomthe riverrooms are hugepedestrian areabeautiful cityinner courtyardtop floorno air conditioningquiet streetsmall hotel
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed here for one night prior to joining a Hedonistic Hiking trip in Slovenia. The hotel is close to the University, but the street outside is only for pedestrians during the day. My room was clean, large, with all the required amenities and furnished to a very high standard. I had only booked a single room (petit chambre) but was upgraded to a large suite - not at all usual for a single traveller! The staff were all very helpful, and full of ideas for my afternoon city walk. The receptionist marked a map for me so that I could see the major sights within 3 hours - and told me where to find the best coffee and chocolate cake with chocolate sauce in the city. Breakfast was served in a quiet room and the choice was excellent - lots of fruit, yoghurt, rolls, pastries, ham, cheese, coffee and tea (including green and herbal). Would I stay there again? Yes, indeed I would. A perfect start for my holiday.

Room Tip: all the rooms seem to be of the highest quality, but if you are on the lower floor, there is a little noise from the road late at night as the students go by.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
AntiqPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Antiq Palace Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time taken to review your experience of the Antiq Palace. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your time with us. Please be kindly advised that none of your remarks were taken lightly and will only be used to further improve our services. Should you be planning a return visit to Ljubljana please feel free to contact us at your convenience to discuss the ways we can make your next stay even more pleasant and relaxing.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

As we had arrived from an overnight train trip we asked if a room was free before noon. After a short wait (were offered drinks) we were upgraded to a wonderful suite. Service, comfort and quality impeccable, location excellent, beautiful building. The staff were almost too nice!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pugs2013

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Antiq Palace was the last stop on a two week tour throughout Italy, Croatia and Slovenia for myself and a couple friends. It was by far the best hotel we stayed at and they were all 4-5 star boutique hotels. The suites were incredibly spacious by any standards (European or American) and the staff gave us excellent recommendations on things to do and places to go. If you are looking for overly garnished rooms with decorations in every nook, this is not the place for you. The decor was minimal but the space more than made up for it. My friend and I both had a massage at the spa which we both thoroughly enjoyed. The breakfast buffet is nothing special so we opted to eat out instead. The location of this hotel cannot be beat as it is minutes away from downtown. And the bed was so comfortable it was hard to get out of in the morning. I do not often write reviews and I am not writing a review for any of the other six hotels I stayed at during this trip but I felt compelled to write a review for this hotel due to the incredibly accommodating service we received during our trip and the abundance of space in the suite. I am looking forward to my next stay at the Antiq Palace.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 October 2013

The Antiq palace hotel and spa was a very nice place to stay in Ljubljana. The location is excellent, in the old part of town and close to the quaint streets and cafes and restaurants that we like to experience. Our room had a nice feel about it and the staff and the whole hotel contributed to our feelings about our stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helen R
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I can't recall being as disappointed by a hotel as I was by the Antiq Palace, and have to assume that the standard of rooms there are variable to say the least, as our room, No.11 bore no resemblence to those depicted in the hotel's photo gallery.
We booked our Deluxe suite and paid for it 8 months in advance because of the basketball championships taking place in Ljubjana at the time of our visit, and for 413 Euros a night were expecting something just a bit special; what we got was a vast soul less room devoid of any decoration, furnished with a pseudo antique sofa and two chairs, a dining table with six chairs, a piano(uh!) and rows of empty shelves that looked like Ikea rejects. The only thing on the shelving was a television which didn't work for the duration of our stay, nothing else, not a book, ornament , magazine.....nothing. There was also a kitchenette but no cooking utensils whatsoever just the minimum cutlery and crockery for two people - what were the other 4 guests at our dining table supposed to use? There were two Large windows looking out on to the street but no curtains or blinds were supplied.
In contrast to the vastness of the living area, the bedroom was a small anti-chamber big enough for a double bed and two tiny bedside cabinets, no wardrobes just more open shelving! but the bathroom was the real shocker - those in the cheapest hotel chains are bigger and better equipped than this one, it was tiny, with just enough space for a basin, toilet and a semi-sunken small bath acessed by wooden steps that inevitably get wet and very slippery. There were no handles to help get in and out of the bath, nowhere to attach the shower, nowhere to hang the toilet roll and only lit by one small lamp on a collapsible arm with exposed wiring - 5-star accomodation - unbelievable!
There was also a second bedroom on a mezzanine floor accessed by an open stair case, coming down from there to use the bathroom during the night would be a major health hazard!
I really don't know what the owners of the hotel are trying to create here, it looks like they started with a grand plan, ran out of money and just lost interest.
Now for the positives..and there were a few, the location is brilliant ,within the pedestrian area of the city with easy access to all the places of interest, the young staff were helpful, understanding and apologetic, but the problems with our room were clearly outside of their control although it was obvious we were not the first to complain. The breakfast buffet was OK and the public rooms were also pleasant, but that is about it, although they did give us free airport transfers as compensation for the problems with the room. Our travelling companions stayed in room 10 which was similarly disappointing and had a pervading smell of drains in the bathroom for the duration of the stay.
I don't usually submit negative reviews but this was so disappointing, and such poor value for money I couldn't let it pass. I am left wondering what the criteria for joining the "Small Luxury Hotels of the World" group actually are.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 10 & 11 and ask for rooms that resemble those depicted on their web-site.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends