“Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Hotel Cubo

Hotel Cubo
Ranked #1 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This was our first visit to Slovenia and was scheduled to coincide with a concert at the Dvorana Stozice in Ljubljana. The hotel was booked after visiting their website and reading reviews on Trip Advisor. Sometimes this a a dangerous thing to do but in this case every positive comment on your site lived up to our experience.
From the moment we arrived at the hotel the staff were absolutely wonderful. we had only booked for two nights and we asked when we arrived if it were possible to stay for an extra night. We were told that the hotel was fully booked and it was not possible. So we made arrangements to move to the Hotel Kempinski at Portoroz. At breakfast the next morning Liza from reception told us that a room had become available if would would like to stay on. We told her that we had booked with the Kempinski and that there would be a big cancellation fee. So she said to leave it with her. The outcome was the hotel changed dates free of charge and we got to stay another night at this wonderful hotel.
The rooms are beautifully styled with all the facilities that you could ever want for example free WiFi. The minibar was free, however the choice of of drinks and goodies were rather limited. The breakfast was truly wonderful, everything from the the fruit, cereals, bread, home made jams, pastries was just first class. On top of that you got hot food cooked to order which was superb. Lastly the staff here were also top class people.
There was only one negative and that was the cost of garaging our car per day. It was over and above what one would have expected. Having said that the Kempinski charged the same so perhaps that's the norm in Slovenia.
All in all we would recommend this hotel to anybody that was visiting Ljubljana and wanted a first class hotel in a good location. If we ever return to Ljubljana we will definitely return to the Cubo.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the castle, absolutely no problem with noise.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tashman1234

Reviewed 2 October 2012

On our trip we stayed in 3 five star hotels and 3 four star hotels, and Hotel Cubo was the hands-down stand-out. First of all, the staff are efficient, proactively helpful, and welcoming. Second, the hotel is very clean. Third, the rooms are well-sized and nicely appointed. The bathroom, always a surprise when traveling in Europe, had a great shower and ample counter space for two girls and all our toiletries. Fourth, location was superb - an easy 5 minute walk to the river. Lastly, breakfast was beautifully laid out with the opportunity to order eggs and pancakes as desired. All the way around, one of the nicest hotel experiences I have had. The hotel even has a contracted taxi driver that you can arrange in advance for train station to hotel transfer for a flat 5 euro fee. I would not consider staying in a different hotel should my travels take me back to Ljubjlana in the future. Special appreciation for Liza and Luka who arranged our transport to Verona, Italy which I had not been able to finalize before I left on vacation.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

While researching places to stay during my first trip to Slovenia, I came across Hotel Cubo and decided to contact the hotel directly to find out its availability and price, since they don't have a online booking engine for me to book directly. In less than 12 hours, I received a reply from Luka at Hotel Cubo and he shared a cost quotation with me. With subsequent email exchanges with Luka, Gregor, and Liza prior to my arrival, they were able to share links to some tour agencies, as well as the sorting out my arrival transportation from the airport to the hotel.

Whoever designs Hotel Cubo really have an exquisite taste. I stayed at the apartment/suite and it worth every single cent. The room was huge and everything was so nicely decorated. Of course, just like other guests, I am very happy to have the free minibar. The hotel is located right off the old town and you can walk there in less than 3 minutes. To make it even better, because it's not right inside the old town, you can avoid all the noise and music from the bars along the river bank.

Lastly, the breakfast WAS simply AMAZING!. They don't serve everything as a buffet like the typical big hotel chain. The hot items are all made to order. It really made you happy when you were served such good food first thing in the morning. I wish my time in Ljubljana was longer so that I could stay a few more nights there!

Room Tip: Contact them and book direct and you end up getting a better deals than via the online travel websit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Best value for money in Solvenia.Piad for Villa Bled 50 pc more and got half value for money.
Such a hotel in London would cost twice or more.
Brand new hotel.Great rooms.Great servic.Cant ask more.Great value for money.Great b
Staying now and enjoying every minute.Best location possible

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 September 2012

From the moment you walk into the lobby, you know you are someplace special. The staff is amazing, friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and I could go on about all of their wonderful attributes! The place is modern, well appointed, with streamlined and tasteful decor. They even offer free wi-fi and a loaner ipad if you didn't bring your own gadget to stay "connected."

Why anyone would ever want to leave this hotel to go sightseeing is a mystery, but Ljubljana is a gorgeous city and the hotel is just a block or two away from the restaurants, canals, main square, etc.

The hotel even arranged for one of their drivers to pick us up from the train station. Said driver, Slobodon, was one of the nicest, most gracious people you'll ever meet! He even ended up taking us to the nearby Potoyna Caves "on his way" to pick up a client at the Venice airport (yes, the Venice airport 3 hours away). As far as front-desk staff Luka and Liza are amazing and even researched local trasport shuttle options for us (like GoOpti.com, for instance), when we needed to get from Ljubljana to Verona. They were relentless in making sure we had safe, affordable transportation to our next destination and made repeated efforts via phone to GoOpti.com and ended up getting us a sweet deal for two in a shared shuttle (85 Euro for 2 from door to door from Ljubljana to the Byblos Art Hotel in Verona -- amazing!).

Breakfast every morning is equally amazing in that there are so many options! Fresh, grilled veggies, assortment of yummy juices, yogurts, grill options made to order. Wow! We loved the food here so much that we also had a late lunch on the street cafe area one day with a lovely glass of red wine (they have a huge variety of wines too).

I wish there was a Hotel Cubo in each city of the world because I would stay there. Ljubljana city is a gem in the treasure that is Europe and this hotel is a shining representation of the hospitality and warmth of this gorgeous place.

Room Tip: There aren't many rooms in this hotel and we asked (and got) one with a view of the side street...
2  Thank SilverLake2TheWorld
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Hotel Cubo was exceptional from the reception to the room, restaurant . It is a small hotel only 1 year old part of the Small Luxury Hotels. The staff is incredible totally eager to please their clients and make their stay so pleasant. It is located 5 minutes walk from the historic part of Ljubljana.

1  Thank marjelaine a
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Visiting Ljubljana puts you in the tongue-twisting mood and the Hotel Cubo is sure to put you into good spirits.

This is a rehab Art Deco era building perfectly situated just on the periphery of the center city within easy walking distance of everything you might want to see in town. It is a boutique style hotel with very few singles. I had one of them at 139 euro. It faced an interior courtyard and other apartment buildings, but I didn't expect a view with my single. The room was Goldilocks spot on in every respect. Comfortable bed; flat screen TV with a hundred channels; block-out blinds; perfect lighting; great bathroom and nice amenities. Absolutely quiet. Breakfast is included - European style or American style with eggs, omelet, pancakes and bacon. The staff is uniformly pleasant and helpful. There is a small cafe on the entrance floor and cafe seating outside. I did not try the restaurant for dinner, but if it's as good as the rest of the place, you won't go wrong.

My night in this hotel makes me wonder about why we don't have hotels like this in the States. Among other things, this hotel utilizes the system of activating lights and power in your room by inserting your room card into a slot and deactivating everything other than a safety light when you remove it. The logic of this system (which I have seen in Europe but never in the States) is irrefutable. The room is not tiny but there is no wasted space. The demographic of the guests is multi-national. There is no attitude in this place other than competence.

Really. I don't give out five stars much, but you can't go wrong here. For that matter, you can't go wrong visiting Ljubljana if you are interested in a very pleasant, laid-back, smaller Central European city with a user-friendly airport, dozens of outdoor cafes on the river, museums, concerts, sporting events, a nice big park, a language that you might as well forget about even pretending to understand and is only a 2-3 hour drive from Italy, Hungary, Croatia and Austria..

Room Tip: I assume my single was the "worst" room and I thought it was great. But I expect that the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo