“Superb New Hotel But Outside Central Ljubljana”

Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Ljubljana
Ranked #6 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have visited Ljubljana before but had stayed in the central city area. Bookings were tight this time because of the Euro Basketball and we ended up choosing the Plaza basically because other downtown hotels were booked out. I have to say that this was a fortunate circumstance because the Plaza turned out to be superb!
This hotel is only a year or two old so everything is clean, new and modern in style. Someone remarked to me that they would not be able to build a hotel like this in downtown Ljubljana. The rooms are large and comfortable with spacious bathrooms. The nightly rate was reasonable for a hotel of this quality.
Breakfast was included in our room rate and was a substantial buffet with a huge range of food, all fresh and good. We tried the dinner buffet one night which was fine and reasonably priced although I would not class it as "outstanding" in any particular way. I think I prefer ordering dinner a la carte.
The hotel staff were all extremely courteous and friendly, and spoke good English (and many other languages also I gather!)
The only negative aspect you should consider about this hotel is its location. Although it is very handy to a large shopping area and other amusements, it is somewhat distant from downtown Ljubljana. And believe me you must spend time in downtown Ljubljana if you are there! The hotel obviously realise this is an issue and provide a fixed-price €5 taxi service. This works fairly well although we had to wait for a while at a busy time. My wife also discovered that you can catch the bus into town for €1.20 if you want to discover the Ljubljana transport system. The hotel can provide an "Urbana" bus card and charge it with a few Euro on request.
Car parking is also available on site for a small fee which I thought was a good aspect of this hotel. Parking close to downtown would likely be more difficult and expensive.
We had to leave very early on the last day (5:30am) before breakfast was available. The hotel staff not only arranged a €25 taxi to the Airport (about half of what we had paid coming from the Airport) but also gave us "lunch bags" with sandwiches and fruit to take and eat while we were waiting for our flight.
I hope I have the opportunity to visit Ljubljana again and stay at the Plaza.

Room Tip: The higher the better for a good view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Ljubljana

Reviewed 16 September 2013

This has to be by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in for £65 per night for B&B for two people courtesy Travel Republic. Beautiful rooms with fantastic bathrooms. No Tea and Coffee facilities but they will give you a kettle if you ask for one. We parked our car and left it there as they offer a 5 euro taxi into town which is a bargain as it is a few miles out of the old town. Thoroughly recommended as accommodation in Ljubljana does not come cheap!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Never stayed in a 4* hotel before and this didn't disappoint. Very polite and helpful staff. The food is amazing too; I had the buffet option for dinner and was sure I had gained kilos in weight after my short stay - I just had to keep going back for more! It's cheap as well - €22 for two beers and the meal, and the room itself was far from expensive, with breakfast included.

The room itself was great, two double beds, a desk, TV, minibar, wardrobe and bathroom with a bath/shower combo. Very clean and modern. The air conditioning didn't seem to want to go below a certain temperature but that didn't matter.

The hotel has a small fitness suite on the top floor, which I used a couple of times. Nobody else was there either time and I get the impression that's the way it usually is.

In terms of nearby attractions, the hotel has a deal with a water park just 20mins away by foot for free entry, plus there's a centre just across the road with karting and other stuff like that. There's a supermarket 5mins walk away as well.

To get into Ljubljana you need to taken a taxi really, but the hotel has a deal with a company for a fixed rate of €5 per trip to/from the city centre, so that's quite good really. It's a good few miles from the hotel to the centre, so you don't really want to walk. Although I did run there and back one afternoon, which was pretty tough.

Overall: excellent hotel, fantastic food, a little far out from town.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

The hotel is new and the rooms are big, clean and since I staying on the 12/F, I can enjoy panoramic view to a mountain filled with snow on top even it's Summer. The breakfast is good, quite a lot of variety and get filled in quite quickly when it's empty. You can free access to the Atlantis Water Park which is just 5 min walk away. However you do need to pay extra for the sauna and the themal park which even with the discount, I felt quite expensive and not worth it. There is a big shopping mall nearby that has quite a lot of restaurants to choose from. Also opposite to the hotel there is a supermarket which you can buy some supplies.

On the other hand the hotel is 10min drive from town and the hotel can arrange a taxi which only costs 5EURO per room and 25 min drive from the airport which will cost you 25Euro.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on top floor to enjoy better view of the city/mountain
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Everything was perfect, room, service, breakfast, aquapark ... town. Parking must be paid extra. room was clean. Hotel has not pool, couse you get free ticket to near aquapark, great, it was very good.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I stayed at the Plaza Hotel on August 15 2013 for one night.

My only regret is that I did not stay longer!

The hotel is newer and the rooms are very modern with nice decor.

I found all the staff to be very professional and accommodating.

It is true that the hotel is not in town center and visits to the center require a taxi. Apparently they have a deal with a taxi company that arranges to get you to and from the town center.
This was an ok arrangement and I was able to get transportation when I needed it.

The wifi worked just fine for me.

Room Tip: Good views, ask for a higher level room!
Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed a night on our way to Croatia and were completely amazed by this hotel. Even though it´s 10 min from the center, the location is really nice and they provide €5 transfers. The service was beyond friendly, breakfast was great and there´s a shopping/entertainment complex right behind the hotel (mall, cinema, go karts, spa and pool w/ free entrance). There´s free wifi and everything feels like new! Also, the city itself is very charming and I totally recommend taking a stroll and eating on the many street cafes.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple