“Not bad, but not cheap and not 5*”

Hotel Lev Ljubljana
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Ljubljana
london
“Not bad, but not cheap and not 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

A slightly disappointing hotel, especially as it is often listed as the only 5* in Ljubljana. And at 160 Euros, it's not that cheap.

We came here off the back of a charming 3* in Lake Bled, so it was always going to be tough to compete. Having stayed in 5* hotels in other parts of the world, I would definitely say this was more a 4*, and more suited for business visitors as opposed to holiday-makers.

The lobby is smart enough, and the staff were very polite and always helpful. The room was adequate, a great view of the city but quite narrow. The bathroom was also tight, and could have been better maintained. The bar was nice enough, with a good array of drinks at reasonable prices. Overall the hotel appeared pretty smart.

Breakfast was ok, a good choice of food, but don't wait for someone to bring you tea or coffee - it's 'total' self service.

It's a bit of a walk through the less interesting part of town to get to the better bits, but Ljubljana is a great city with lots of places to eat and drink, and some decent walks.

If we were to visit again, I wouldn't stay in the Hotel Lev. I'd look for a better located, less expensive, less business orientated, more personal hotel. But for other visitors, this could be just fine.

• Liked — View from hotel room
  • Disliked — Price and location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank wellsa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Jutland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2008

Traveler rating:
Ljubljana: Hotel Lev Ljubljana: "2-star service for 5-star price!"
A TripAdvisor Member
We booked the hotel through the organizers of a large European academic conference, noting that it was the only "5-star hotel " in Llubjana. Although very clean upon arrival, on the third day our room was not cleaned at all -- although we are not in from 10am-2 pm and 4-12pm. A cleaner had entered at 3pm without knocking, but obviously didn't follow my husband's instructions to return later. When we requested for fresh towels that night, bellboy at the was rude and indifferent.
City guides in English are not replenished, which can easily be found at the Tourist Office 5 mins. walk away. The maps made available at the hotel are very confusing, although an excellent tourist map is on a pick-up counter at the Tourist Office.
The breakfast buffet is extensive but with the same menu daily, includiing the hardly cooked bacon and the green-yolked hardboil eggs. On Sunday, stale bread had been mixed in with the fresh ones. Every morning, in lieu of "Good Morning" the waitress asked, "Room number?" There are no coffee/tea facilities in the room.
The few staff rarely smile or greet guests, and often cannot adequately assist with information or assistance. We had to book our tours directly at the offices of Kompass, an excellent travel agency witih many branches.
There were no irons/trouser pressers in the room. A colleague was late for his meeting because it took more than 2 hrs for his suit to be ironed, with the hotel giving the excuse that they didn't have enough irons.
In the room, there is no safe or lockable drawer for valuables. The staff' entry cards bypasses the double bolt lock, permitting entry at anytime. Since there is no other way of blocking unwanted entry, one has to put the "no disturb" sign.
The toiletries were only soap, shampoo, bath foam, shower cap. When a friend requested for hair conditioner, the staff feigned ignorance of what he was talking about. Before our departure, I found the two shoe-wax mitts buried under the plastic laundry bags.
There is no swimming pool, and the tiny gym was permanently locked. The small lobby consists of two sofa sets, and the bar/breakfast room is too small and poorly decorated.
IHotel Lev is at the edge of the city centre, and is not as well located as many other hotels. The rooms are large although over-furnished, and the bathrooms recently renovated.
Hotel Levgave guests a questionnaire on the popularity of international hotel chains. Obviously there is a need to professonalize its service through a change of management.

• Liked — Comfortable bed, good linens
  • Disliked — Service, lack of room amenities, lack of hotel facilities
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
7 Thank Alaloop
Europe
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2008

I stayed in Lev with my co-worker for 4 nights while attending a conference in Ljubljana. Very first night, while watching a TV in my room, I found BED BUGS crawling on the linens!!! I managed to kill one bug and presented it at the reception desk. All staff came to see the bug and they gave me a new room (for smokers even though I did request non-smoking room). After your first night starts with bed bugs, believe me you do not enjoy your stay any more. I had to keep my light on during the nights in fear that bugs do not come out again. It is not nice to imagine whether bugs are crawling on your pillow once you close your eyes. After that first night receptionists avoided me till the rest of my stay. They never asked me if I am satisfied with new room or if everything is ok. During the next 3 days, I did not get any apology or anything similar! They would just quickly look somewhere else when ever I would go to the elevator or out of the elevator. Even on my check out, they never mentioned it. Perhaps they did not consider bed bugs as a big thing!? Well, the hotel that charges 140 euro per night and claims 5 stars (I would love to see the criteria for this rating) should do better. After that I did extensive research on bed bugs and did not like what I found. I know that this hotel will never see me again, especially after hearing much nicer experiences from our colleagues that stayed in other hotels.
The things like breakfast service stuff that in 4 days just one single morning remembered to offer us a coffee is not even worth of mentioning as well as finding one day after coming back in the afternoon that I can not enter to my room as “it is not booked any more”?!?!

Stayed April 2008
3 Thank EuropaEuropa
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2007

We stayed at the Hotel Lev for 3 nights from 22 October 2007 and paid 258 GBP for a standard double room including breakfast.

Ljubljana has a small, yet efficient airport, and the bus ride into the city takes about 45 minutes. From the bus station, the Lev Hotel is a short 5-10 minute walk. Check-in was quick, and we were given a room on the 10th floor overlooking the castle - very nice! The room was a decent size, and we were provided with bath robes and slippers. Unfortunately there were no coffee or tea making facilities.

The hair dryer in the bathroom was broken. We phoned down to reception to ask for repair/replacement but nothing came. We visited reception later that evening, but again, nothing was done about it. It was only when we spoke to reception for the THIRD time the following morning that the problem was sorted - I feel that this was unsatisfactory for a 5* hotel.

I totally agree with other reviewers on this website about the 5* status. The Lev is not a 5* hotel by international standards. If you stay at the Lev and expect a hotel at the lower end of 4*, you should be satisfied. My '3' rating is mainly because of the experience with the hair dryer, and the standard of food and service at breakfast.

There was a satisfactory choice with the buffet breakfast. Cooked food, together with cold cheese, meat, fruit, cereal, juices, etc. etc. The food was a little bland, but generally ok. I was disappointed that tea and coffee were not automatically served at the table, instead we had to ask for it or help ourselves.

We had one evening meal in the Lev which was of a satisfactory standard. We eat out on the following two evenings, and the quality experienced on these occasions was far superior. My personal favourite was 'Evropa' which is very close to the hotel (on the corner of Slovenska and Gosposvetska). My other recommendation is 'Pri Vitezu' (Breg, just by the river). Really great food and friendly service in both places, and reasonably priced (by west european standards!). Don't be put off if the menu at Evropa is not in English - the waiters are more than happy to translate!!

• Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank uk_reviewer
Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2007

The hotel is nice, not too far from the city centre (perhaps 10min by foot) and the rooms are big enough, beds are comfortable, toilet nice and the air conditioning works well. All the staff members we met were friendly and helpful but some of them don't speak English very well.

The hotel restaurant is okay and food average. The breakfast room is big and we found everything we needed and even more, one morning there were e.g. warm fish and rice (and a lot of tourists from China!). On the breakfast buffet you can find fruit and vegetables, sausages and other warm dishes, a variety of eggs, a lot of cold cuts, cheese etc to put on your toast and of course something sweet as a dessert.

We had a very nice stay in this hotel and I really can recommend it to others! Perhaps it's more a 4-star hotel that a 5-star, but still very good. The location is not the most central one, but definitely not too far from anything!

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank Miisa-Miisa
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2007

We stayed at the Lev for 2 nights. The front desk was very helpful. The beds were very comfortable. The hotel was easy to find.

We unfortunately had to pay a pretty penny for our stay (for some reason the week we were there - the prices jumped). $250.00 a night.

Have to pay for internet usage. We had great views of the city from our room.

• Liked — Very comfortable rooms.
  • Disliked — The price we had to pay.
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2007

How would you feel... checking in to a hotel and you ask if you can take a street map. The receptionist replies 'Well *I* don't need it do I?'

Anywhere else in the world that might be the sort of sarcasm you wouldn't want after a long journey. But leave the stress behind - this is Ljubljana, the village capital. So of course we all end up laughing. Especially when the excellent receptionist goes on to point out Hotel Lev is marked '1' on the map 'because we are number 1'. Says who?

This hotel is just like the city it's in: calm, friendly, pleasant and modestly up-market. On the other hand... well maybe not not that exciting.

The Lev is smart rather than plush: yes the 5-star rating must be a mistake. The rooms are average size and the bathrooms are small and there certainly isn't the sort of foyer you'd expect in a 5-star. But be fair: it only costs the same as most European 4-stars. The location's fine and you won't want for comfort. Expect a 4-star and you'll like it as much as I did.

• Liked — Friendly, relaxed and comfortable
  • Disliked — Ugly 60s exterior
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple