“Unique location, great staff, but a bit expensive.”
Review of Hostel Celica

Hostel Celica
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Every single one in the city that I asked for a hostel knew about this place. For a hostel, it's quite huge, I think. The staff was great, really helped me to continue my (hitchhiking) trip with a few good tips and at the restaurant I even managed to get myself a complimentary cup of soup from a lovely waitress. The food is not cheap, but then again, it's good and plenty. Honestly, the stay was a bit too expensive, considering you share a room with 12 people.

Room Tip: I was in the dorm and the beds there are just fine!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Hostel Celica

Reviewed 16 November 2013

I'd initially wanted to stay 4 nights at this hostel but after reading a couple of reviews, I decided to just stay 2 nights and for once I thank my gut feeling for this. It was definitely an experience staying in a former prison but I think that's all the hype there is. I was lucky they gave me my private cell on the first floor as I'd a huge suitcase with me and there was no elevator. I echo what a previous reviewer said about having to climb up those not very conducive ladder - imagine climbing it when you're half pissed! The sheets provided were clean but it had holes in them and the pillow was lumpy. However, I think the thing which disappointed me the most was the bathroom. First of all, the sign on the door was not clearly labelled, whether it was male or female. I made the mistake of going into the gents when I first arrived; luckily nobody was in there. The floor was always wet and there was hair all over the place! I wouldn't suggest walking around barefoot! I don't think paying 46 Euros per night for a single cell was worth it. The only plus point about the place is the location as it's just a short walk to the town square and also the bus and train stations.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My hostel experience in Europe is relatively limited (months of experience in both Asia and South America) but will definitely say that this property provided a memorable one-night quick overnight between trains from Austria and on to Croatia for me.

- Location is very walkable from the train station, although a bit of a hike from the riverfront core. I was actually stopped for jaywalking by the police when walking back alone around ~1 am after meeting some friends...(no ticket, and perhaps not the best idea on my part to walk)
- Hostel had really friendly helpful staff even as I arrived somewhat late (other friends had checkin earlier). Gave me my key and offered to prepare bag breakfasts for the morning given our early morning departure time
- Walking up the stairs and through the hallway definitely gave you that prison feel. Recently renovated and clean, but the original roots of the building were abundantly clear.
- 3 person room was definitely compact with bunks and as mentioned elsewhere a climb up.
- Lots of storage in the room if you were staying for a longer period.
- Nice breakfast / social room right off the check-in area; well furnished and clean looking.
- Seemed like the hostel was located near some sort of club as there was a noticeable, but at least for me & friends non-intrusive level of noise later at night...
- Helpful checkout the next morning, with prepared breakfasts ready for us to leave at like 5:30 am - and even made sure we grabbed a travel guide we had set down on the counter while checking out.
- Common bathroom / shower facilities were clean and well set up
- Had 0 interactions with other guests so can't comment there..

I'm not sure if this place qualifies as the most exciting accommodations ever, and for non-transportation purposes the location leaves a bit to be desired...and it also wasn't the cheapest. But in the end traveling is about unique experiences, and this delivered on that point.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Frankly speaking, Hostel Celica was chosen only because of the ex-prison cell concept that they brand themselves as it was not exactly the cheapest hostel around. The stay was indeed unique with the private loft-style room we were given.

As previous reviews have stated, its not exactly fun getting up to the bed and the ladder was not conducive for easy climbing. At the end of the stay, I had many bruises! The other main issue I had was that the lock on the door was faulty, which resulted in difficulty locking the door after us. I can't remember the room number but it was on the 2nd floor near the end. Imagine fumbling on the door for ages when you had to go the shared bathroom at night! The bathroom itself had a musty smell, which gave the impression that it had not been cleaned.

That said, the hostel is recommended if you want to stay in somewhere other than your usual generic accommodation. I liked the creative concept and artistic flair of the whole area. Service was great too.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Unfortunately this review scores a zero. Hostel is nice, staff are friendly. Arrived at 2pm and was told i could not get my room until 3 but could lock my bag up in the safe bag room. You may have guessed, everything was stolen along with bags from other travelers.

Police advise this is common occurrence in this city.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Colin O
Reviewed 5 September 2013

At first we were put off by the layout and organization of the dorm beds (some beds are squeezed tightly into gabled-roof corners) but management was helpful throughout the stay and more than made up for the slight problem. It doesn't quite live up the hype, but the building is beautiful and artistic. A unique, friendly, hostel experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Stayed here for a night in August as we travelled through Slovenia. We were really impressed by how helpful and friendly the staff were and the chill out areas available however the bedroom left much to be desired.

The bed felt unsafe (loft style); a rail would have made a big difference. The steel ladder was unnecessarily uncomfortable given everything else in the room was made of wood. Presumably The height of the bed was for style purposes however the fan was completely redundant since the chord was too short to lift the fan to a suitable height. As such, this led to a very uncomfortable sleep and were forced to leave the room in the middle of the night to get some air.

• Stayed: August 2013