“Good Hotel”
Review of Grand Hotel Union

Grand Hotel Union
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
Reviewed 12 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel for only one night during our tour of Croatia and Slovenia. It was a nice hotel and quite popular. There was a rumour that the President of Slovenia was staying there when we were there as there was a lot of security personnel around the place. The room was quite comfortable - a small balcony - but we really didn't have a view. The hotel is very close to the old town and, as it was Sunday, there were plenty of eating places, markets and street entertainment. Breakfast was quite good but we really didn't have much of a chance to appreciate the finer points of the hotel as we dined at a local restaurant and left fairly early next morning.

We loved Ljubljana and would like to return some day. This hotel would certainly be high on our list to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Union

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I booked a single in this hotel for one night in the mid 130 Euro range on a non-refundable basis. I showed up with my luggage at about 10:30 in the morning long before official check-in but was advised pleasantly that if I could return at noon, they could probably find an early check-in room for me even though the place was fully booked that night. The front desk people were consistently pleasant and helpful. I checked my luggage and went into the salon/bar for a cup of coffee to figure out my agenda for the day. It was "medieval"day in Ljubljana and there were many dress-up pageants and fair activities going on literally one block from the hotel which is right behind the Franciscan Church - an excellent location.

Anyway, I returned around check-in time and was advised that they had run out of singles so were giving me a double on the top floor. It turned out to be a relatively large room furnished in the modern Danish style in woods and earth tones, with a large bathroom (and tub) and nice amenities. It also had a nice view over the main street, but was quiet at night. It was a little warm up there and I could not seem to get the AC to turn on, but I let that be. The only thing about the room that was a little weird was the presentation of information about the hotel - on the desk, there was a stand-up binder filled with flyers and inserts about various things, but I could not find a standard hotel binder that contained the usual information about room service, TV channels, restaurants etc.

I had a martini in the bar before dinner and was pleased to discover that the bar man actually knew how to make one - I will forgo describing the kinds of weird concoctions I am used to getting in Europe in response to a request for a vodka martini. The guys at the front desk recommended a moderately priced Italian restaurant a block away from the hotel: it was empty but for me, but the food was quite nice and the Slovenian cabernet was impressive and inexpensive.

The bed was comfortable and I was up at 4 am to catch the airport shuttle (arranged by the hotel). I did not get to sample the breakfast that I think comes with the room.

This is yet another excellent Ljubljana hotel. Whether you would prefer this to the Hotel Cubo depends on whether you like boutique vs.large. You really can't go wrong with either.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank TruthTraveler
Reviewed 29 September 2012

i was there in middle septembre and the hotel was very nice
near the central district and all the town attractions
the tourism office is very near , from where you can choose and book from many tours proposed in or outside the city

very generous , rich and good breakfast
the people there speak english so no problem to communicate and ask the questions that you may need

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I only stayed one night in this lovely hotel. Nice spacious and well equipped room, immaculately clean, quiet and with comfortable bed. Not breathtaking but with enough old charm and a friendly, very helpful professional service. Extensive breakfast. Seemed great value for August!!
Would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Upper floors to catch the fantastic view of the Ljubljana castle and city panorama.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The building is one of the most beautiful art nouveau buildings in Ljubljana. My room had a fantastic view over the rooftops to the castle and the cathedral. Breakfast was superb, and we also had a wonderful meal in the garden restaurant one night when it was raining too hard to go out. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: Higher floors for the rooftop views
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Carence
Reviewed 16 September 2012

Bled, where I was before Ljubljana, is much lovelier, and this hotel was fine, but not spectacular. Room a little dated-feeling, but bed was comfortable. There are nice art-deco details throughout the "executive" part of the hotel.

But there aren't enough elevators, the breakfast was a little overcrowded (and not very special), and I don't think it was great value. I enjoyed it, but it was pretty standard.

Tip for breakfast: the tea is suprisingly good, particularly the "youthful" tea, which tastes of lavender.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank melted_snowball
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We are a family with grown up children and have traveled extensively with our car through out Europe, staying in 4* and 5* hotels. We visited Ljubljana for the first time last year, it was just a stopover in a city we had not visited before, on our way from Ancona to Wien . We loved the hotel and the city so much, that this year we made a detour on our way from Kroatia to Muenchen just to visit the city and stay at the hotel Union again.
The hotel has everything a visitor would want. A beautiful building, very comfortable and big rooms, very good and friendly service with everyone speaking fluent english, a garage for our car and a location at the edge of the old city, so we could arrive by car at the doorstep and visit the old city on foot. The room had all the amenities we needed, bathrobes and slippers for all guests, unlike some 5* hotels in Europe, huge beds and as we were staying on an upper floor, a view of the old city. Breakfast buffet was very rich, a disaster for my diet!
This year when we arrived a nice surprise was awaiting us: our rooms had been upgraded. We stayed at the new building in even bigger and more comfortable rooms than last year.
The only thing that was not available was triple rooms, despite the fact that there is plenty of room for an extra bed even in the standard double room.
We have the best opinion about hotel Union, we recommend it and we will visit it again whenever we find ourselves in Slovenia.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family