We were upgraded from the Grand Union hotel’s sister upon arrival in Ljubljana and what a pleasant upgrade it was.
The Grand Union is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in!!
The service and bell boy at reception were very keen to help in broken English and a real asset to the hotel.
Our room was easy to find and clean. It was also quite large (compared to normal hotel rooms in my experience!). The tv was also huge as was the bathroom and walk in shower.
The hotel provided breakfast at no additional cost and although we only made it for 3 of our 6 mornings (opting to have a lay in) it as plentiful. Cooked breakfast, cereals, fruit , fresh meats, cheeses and pastries. There was nothing amiss.
The location of the hotel is superb, literally a 5min stroll to the famous 3 bridges in the centre of the City.
Of the other facilities within in the hotel all we used was the pay per view films (lazy morning!) and I also had a massage in the spa room next to the pool whilst my boyfriend did some lengths. The massage was good although quite a bit was lost in translation except taking payment.
Other things to note of Ljubljana:
- I would recommend the free site seeing tours run for free. Info online or from the tourist office
- Take the public bus to Lake Bled. It is amazing. We went Boxing Day and had a lovely stroll round the lake. I would imagine it is thriving in the summer.
- Lock a padlock on ‘lovers bridge’ – you will find it
- Try the Cutty Sark pub for food and drinks.. cheap and a good pub to spend the evening
Travelled December 2012
Travelled as a couple
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The first class hotel in Ljubljana, boasting a premier location in the city centre, offering most spacious & comfortable rooms, excellent complimentary buffet breakfast, free internet, secured parking garage, business centre...Located on the door step of the Old Town and less than 30 minutes from the international airport, Grand hotel Union Executive has got city's top location for business & leisure travellers. It is also the address of royal visits, presidential delegations, and major Ljubljana's events and has more than 100 years long tradition of friendly and professional service.All rooms (25-35m2) and suites (45-140m2) are air-conditioned and have bathroom with bathtub or shower, large LCD screen, phone, mini bar, safe, trouser press, hairdryer and free of charge internet access. The hotel provides 20 multi-functional conference rooms with capacity up to 800 participants, a top-floor indoor swimming pool, a sauna and fitness area. Culinary delights are served in the renovated restaurant and bar Atelje or in the quiet shady garden in the summer. The hotel also has a cosy lobby bar and a popular coffee place - Grand Cafe, exchange office, a newspaper and souvenir shop, a fashion boutique, a jeweller and a hairdresser. Enjoy the stay in one of the most beautiful and elegant hotels in the region. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TravelClick, Expedia, Priceline, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Grand Hotel Union reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Ljubljana