“An unusual and eccentric gem in Ljubljana”
Review of Hotel Galleria

Hotel Galleria
Ranked #26 of 31 Hotels in Ljubljana
Reviewed 20 July 2009

Hotel Antiq came recommended by friends and travel guide books, and I was not disappointed. It's not the usual cookie-cutter type of Best Western chain hotels, and the price points perhaps reflect this individuality. But the quality of service, of breakfast, of public spaces, and the room that I stayed in (for almost a week), was worth every euro. I would not hesitate to suggest this hotel to individual travellers who are willing to put up with non-standard quirks, such as no elevators, or no coffee machines in the room, or no Walmart-bath towels. I can well understand someone used to staying to big hotel chains finding Hotel Antiq "odd" - but if you are a genuine traveller and want to stay right in the middle of old town Ljubljana, and not some tourists on the cheap, book Hotel Antiq.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank mnng1222

Reviewed 16 July 2009

We stayed at the Antiq Hotel for two nights. I just read the horrible review below and we had the total opposite experience. We also booked the budget room with the bathroom/shower outside of the room. Though unique, we found that this was easy enough to manage. The bathroom and shower room both locked from the outside and inside using the room key. Though the room was small, it fit expectations based on the web site, price, and pictures. The bed was comfortable and the room had decent storage for our things. I found the hotel to be very honest about the room expectations, including that the room had no view and overlooked the "covered atrium" (on the reservation). The location was ideal and surprisingly quiet. One of their staff, Jan, went out of his way to answer all of our questions and help us with about everything from suggesting the best local places to eat to helping us place calls. When we arrived, we were shown around the whole hotel. They even offer local Slovenian spirits to taste in their sitting room. The breakfast in the morning was huge and amazing. The fresh coffee and fruit just brightened the morning. The budget room is quirky, but well worth the price for the central location, great service, and yummy breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank M2K_and_DK
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We had a three night reservation at the Antiq Hotel in early June, 2009. We had booked the budget economy room, after being told that the bathroom was "across the corridor but was for our use only" and that the room was small. We were not bothered by either of these 2 facts, and booked at a rate of 78 Euros a night. When we arrived, we checked in and were not told where our room was or anything - we were left on our own to find it and find the separate bathroom and shower. After I finally found the bathroom and shower rooms (which were not across the corridor, but down the hall and around the corner), I realized that neither of the doors locked, and therefore I couldn't leave anything personal in there. I went down to the lobby and the man assurred me that even though the doors didn't lock, no one would go in there. ???? So I was just supposed to trust that I could leave my personal belongings in there and they would be safe - right. Our room was small, which was fine, but instead of overlooking the "courtyard" they promised, it overlooked the internet station, with people constantly sitting directly outside of our window. This requires you to close the bulky curtains, which take up a ton of room. Also, the mattress appeared to be about 300 years old - I'm pretty sure it was a hand me down from generations past of this "family run establisment." The tv didn't work, and neither did the safe. After one night in this dump, we decided that we couldn't stay there anymore. We told reception we would be leaving because we felt misled about the conditions of the room, and they tried to insist we had to pay a one-night cancellation fee. I gave them a piece of my mind, and they finally let us going only paying for one night. We checked into the Best Western Hotel Slon which was about the same price and 1000 times nicer.

While we understand that the room was small and that the bathroom was separate, we were misled on many other points - the toilet (which by the way was in the utility closet) and the shower room did not lock, the mattress was awful, the safe and TV didn't work, the room overlooked the internet station, etc etc. The management was not friendly, while we checked in or while we expressed our concerns, and overall, this was just a terrible experience. For the price of their "budget economy" room, we got a beautiful room (twice as big) in a great part of town (closer to the main square), with a beautiful and attached bathroom and a great continental breakfast.

Antiq Hotel is highly overrated for an outdated, unfriendly hotel. I can't give my opinion on the more expensive rooms, but I do know that you CAN get a great room in Ljubljana for under 100 Euros a night.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
8  Thank goldengirl217
Reviewed 22 May 2009

This was my first visit to Slovenia and we spent the first couple of days in this gorgeous, stylish hotel. The location at the end of one of the lovely cobbled streets in the Old Town is a perfect base from which to explore the city, and everything about the hotel was excellent. Friendly, helpful staff, super room, breakfast in a delightful setting, a cool drink at the tables ouside the hotel in the old square - the Antiq is one of the very best European City hotels we have stayed at.. We will defintely be back!
GERRY COPSEY Somerset UK

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Love2travelSomerset
Reviewed 6 May 2009

we stayed at the hotel 3 nights in April 2009. Each room in the hottel is different and some of them are quite poor. for our first night we got a samll and ugly room with terrible mattresses. The only good thing with this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2009

I think this hotel is lovely. It certainly suits the name Antiq and it was a great place for our first trip to Slovenia. The staff are extremely helpful with giving information and booking any requests. The breakfast is fruits and cerals, breads, toast, cheeses, ham and fresh juices. The hotel location is super and well within walking distance to any attraction. We had room number 1 on the first floor over looking the square, it was lovely. The room was very large, with double sinks and a bath in the bathroom. Some people would call it dated, but I prefer the term antique as the name suggests. This really added to our wonderful experience of Slovenia and I would defnitely recommend this hotel. The other hotels we happened to pass whilst exploring the city, looked very standard and lacked the character and ambience of Antiq Hotel.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KMJLondon
Reviewed 22 February 2009

We booked the Antiq based on other reviews on TripAdvisor.com and were pleased. The English-speaking staff could not have been more helpful, and the room was exactly as expected (the hotel website has good pictures; check them carefully, as each room is unique). The hotel is located in the Old Town's pedestrian zone, and is an easy walk to anywhere worth seeing. (For arrival and departure, check the hotel website for information on dropping off or picking up bags near the hotel before you use the city parking garage--which charges about 26 euros a night, and is 700 meters away). The hotel has no elevator, so steep stairs await; look elsewhere if you cannot handle stairs. The breakfast provided a good selection, and the room was exactly as we expected, with a nice bathroom, sloped ceilings and free WiFi. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family