“Poor quality, unprofessional behaviour from the staff” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Uni

Hotel Uni
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Balatonfured
Hotel Uni
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Balatonfured
London, United Kingdom
“Poor quality, unprofessional behaviour from the staff”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We spent 2 nights at the hotel. It was alright as we did not spend much time at the hotel. Most of the time we were on the private beach what the hotel has. It is the only and best feature of this hotel. Quiet, not crowded and very pretty. We enjoyed this part a lot.

Problem started in the hotel itself. The room is very basic for the price we paid (23.000 HUF per night) no air-condition, very tired room, very poor and basic which could be alright but for the price we paid we had higher expectation.

We booked "eat as much as you can" breakfast and dinner. But we got something else. Breakfast alright with usual continental choices dinned. We got a voucher which hardly could cover the cost of the dinner( we could redeeme it in a restaurant just cross the road) when we mentioned at the reception this problem and we said we booked something different we just got ignored by the very unprofessional staff. They did not show any interest to sort out our problem at all and they still had to pay the full price when we checked out.

Very disappointed and I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone at all.

• Stayed July 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2012

We got the room and service what we were paying for, so there is nothing really I would complain about. Breakfast was much better then I have expected and staff seemed to be helpful as well.
The location is perfect I think, but the beach is not the best - but at least not as crowded as further down where you have to pay for it.
No elevator and air-con but it wasn't a big problem but maybe clean towels during our 4 nights stay would have been nice!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

At first I was a bit frighten of the previous reviews for this hotel but i have to say it is not that bad at all.

The hotel is located very nice with free entrance to the lake side - i agree that its not the best beach, and yes the water is a bit murky but thats because of the sand is whirling. And it will be the same when you go to the other beaches on this side of the lake - but you can walk a bit further out of the pier and there you can swim - if you want a proper beach you have to go and pay the entrance fee at the public beach - or upgrade your hotel and chose one of the big hotels with private beach area.

The staff seemed nice and friendly and the breakfast buffet was variated with both hot and cold food. No fruits though. You dont get new towels unless you ask for it! Its really nice with the small fridge i the room.

Its true they do not have an elevator but its only a 3 floor building. Neither no A/C in the room but one of the windows had a net so we could leave the window open during the night - we also borrowed a fan and it worked out well - this is also written on the hotels hompage so i cant see why this should be a surprise for anyone. Durring high season its also very hot at the lake side, but again no surprise i guess.

Free WI-FI in all the rooms and the connection was good. Also free parking next to the hotel.

Overall an avarage hotel - as always, you get what you pay for!

Room Tip: Upgrade and pay the extra for a balcony.
1 Thank BudaJay
Atwater, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We had our previous hotel reserve rooms for this Hotel Uni. When we arrived at the bus station, there was no taxi waiting for us. We finally caught a taxi to the hotel, only to find out that our previous hotel never called this hotel, and made reservations at another hotel. We decided to spend the night here. The price is extremely high for a 2 star hotel. We were VERY disappointed with this hotel. The music and furnishings inside the lobby are not all attractive. The lady at the desk spoke only limited English. The two major problems for us (and if we had known of them ahead, we would have gone to another hotel), there is NO elevator (we had to lug 5 heavy suitcases up the stairs onto the 2nd floor) and there is NO air conditioning. We woke up sweating in the night, and couldn't open the windows because they hardly opened at all. The curtains didn't even cover all of the windows so we woke up to sunlight at 5:00 in the morning and had the city lights shining through the windows at night. The beds' sheets didn't even cover all of the mattress. The rooms are absolutely tiny. We were going to have dinner at the hotel, but one look at the selection and the price (3500 HUF per person), and we left. We ended up having pizza at Pinocchio's down the street, and that was OK. Breakfast wasn't really a whole lot better, but was edible. Their "swimming" area was a tiny little area in the middle of a marina. I certainly would not want to swim in that water with all the boat oil and bird droppings. The water was very murky. All in all, this hotel was a HUGE disappointment and I will never stay here or recommend this hotel to anyone. Please save yourself some grief, and stay at another hotel.

Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Beth A

Travellers are raving about these Balatonfured hotels

Prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

A bit aged but modernized building with friendly stuff which always tries to make the best. Free wifi internet in main lobby and also in rooms. Free parking next to the building. Free access to Balaton lake from a kind of mole just into deep water - ideal for swimmers.
The only weak point I can see with this hotel is the absence of air conditioning in rooms.

Budapest
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

Well.
I have trouble about rating the Hotel Uni. In the beginning I started with 4 stars. When I saw the room, the rate decreased to 3. Not because of cleanliness, but the room (and the hotel) needs renovation. The carpet so worn out, it simply cannot be clean properly, the paint of the wall is dirty etc.

So it's OK for the cleanliness. Just OK.

After that, we gone to the beach - it's not too big, surrounded with boats - since it's a harbor as well. But it's open to public.
The breakfast was OK, nothing special, we missed the fresh fruits - since it's summer after all.

But what makes me give the worst:
They do not have an elevator, we had a room on 3rd floor, the closest one to the street (which means the farest from Balaton). It was extremely hot. We cannot sleep, because even the shower water wasn't cool enough, so I couldn't cool down to sleep.
So, I couldn't sleep on my second night there (yesterday night - 06.07.2012.) - I woke up at 2:30 A.M., and told my sister (who couldn't sleep as well) that we should call the Reception about rent-a-fan.

BUT! We had a phone, but it wasn't plugged in, we didn't have the number to the Reception (after we found a place to plug in it). Nothing. Remember: it was dawn, we were sleepy, and on the 3rd floor, without lift. But because I needed to sleep - I drove home today (07.07.2012), I decided to go down to ask. My sister came with me.

When we arrived to the Reception, the guy told us that they do not have enough fans for every room! If I could call them, I needn't go down and up sleepy and very angry. THEN I decided to give the one point. How can afford a hotel with a very hot summer (41 Celsius degree and 37-38 the other day) such thing?

Finally I could sleep, but only because we gone to the beach and sat down a little, cool down. And in the room, I needed to wet my towel and cool myself down...

Recommendations for the hotel if they see my review:
- enough fans for hot summers
- better breakfast (with fruits)
- room phones IN WORK ORDER - and with number to the Reception!
- refurbish the rooms, the paintings, etc.
- if the hotel is No Smoking, the guests shouldn't smoke on the terrace of their rooms - because if somebody smoke below my terrace, I simply cannot breath...

It was a disappointment for me, for almost 40k HUF (approx. 200 USD) with breakfast, because with my spending, I could go to the Anna Grand Hotel**** with half board (two nights for approx 300 USD)...

Room Tip: Nearer to Lake Balaton than we had (308), maybe it's: - quieter - not-so-hot.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2012

We spent two nights in July at the hotel. The weather was hot, and our room on the top floor was hotter. They didn't have enough fan and we couldn't sleep because the hot night.
The room was acceptable, the bathroom clean. They should repaint the rooms.
The breakfast was poorly. In the summer they don't have fruits for breakfast, it was quite surprise.
The beach was nice, but it's an open beach, not just guest only. The facilities were quite dirty. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for room with wiev to the lake, they could be cooler. And if you don't want to go up 3 store...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family