“Kind, cozy, quiet, relax, well-equiped, well-located and clean!”

and 1 more site!
Locomotive Light Hostel & Apartments
Ranked #168 of 644 Speciality Lodging in Budapest
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Kind, cozy, quiet, relax, well-equiped, well-located and clean!”
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Looking for a hostel in Budapest? The words in the title of this testimonial explain why I would recommend you Locomotive Lighthouse Hostel to you: the hosts are very kind and interested, the place is really cozy and breaths a peaceful atmosphere, it is well-equiped with good bathrooms, a proper and well-equiped kitchen, as well as with a washing machine and of course wi-fi! It is located just accross one of the two main stations of Budapest, Keleti, and the place well-managed by the hosts and therefore and comfortable and clean hostel to stay at. I slept in the mixed dormitory, which is cleverly set up and gives enough privacy and safety for men and women!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MC_Business_Journeys

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Wilton Manors, Florida
Reviewed 11 August 2012

My fiancée and I wanted a private studio, so we booked through Locomotive for 3 nights. They had arranged for a taxi to pick us up and 40 minutes later we had arrived. The building is very art deco, black and silver, very cool. The apartment is adorable and looked like a 'grandma's' house with a fabulously large bathroom and a lovely balcony.
The bed wasn't the most comfortable bed I've slept in, but it was large enough and we had plenty of linens.
We found a very convienient tram that took us to the main trams so that was really handy. It's only a 15 minute walk into town anyway, but the trams are so easy and more fun!
Budapest is wonderful, so much so, my fiancée and I are thinking of going back for our honeymoon.
For clean, reasonable rates, I would recommend this studio.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AjandMaria
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed with my boyfriend in a twin bedroom on the far right of the corridor. Unfortunately, the poor quality of sleep owershadowed the other nice qualities of that hostel. It was that old-fashioned spring mattress, where you you can feel the metal structure under your ribs. I was told later, that there are different types of mattresses in other rooms (even from IKEA), but none of them very comfortable in the combination with the particular bed type (soft foam mattresses on hard wooden ribs. But I did not try other beds myself). Supposedly it is the owner's philosophy not to invest into comfort of the place, because it is "just a hostel". However, there are luxuries like TV, internet, night lamp etc., which I would gladly trade off for a comfortable bed.
To mention the nice thing, the staff, one young man, was extremely friendly, interested in our plans, gave us maps and good tips for sightseeing. The location is close to train station, which is convenient, although we had hard time to find the hostel at first, there is no big sign above the street entrance. The corridor of the house was dirty and the overfilled dustbins were under the stairs, but once You enter the actual hostel area, it is clean and decorative. Our room looked very quaint and romantic, before I actually tried to sleep in it. So I hope, one day the owner will change his mind and buy comfortable mattresses.

Room Tip: Not the twin bedroom on the far right of the corridor. Or try the bed first.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Leipzig, Germany
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed for two nights and were satisfied completely with everything. When we arrived we found the sheets clean and they were keeping a 24 hour customer service. They have fans in every room so we could have a good sleep even if Budapest was burning. :) They serve free coffee, tea and cocoa and not to mention their so called "welcome drink", which is a quite strong but good Hungarian spirit - "Palinka". The best was the nice atmosphere and that the place was quite cozy.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 29 July 2010

I stayed only for one night in this Hostel and really liked it because they let me cook there and helped with cooking and gave me a welcome drink. So it was really nice. Alexandra one of the girl speaks very good german so I had no problem with comunication tooo.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Korni1238182
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We only had one night in Locomotive Light Hostel but it was a comfortable stop. The hostel is close to public transport and the international train terminal. The rooms are small but if you're backpacking there is enough space. There was an ensuite in our dorm and it was clean. The hostel manager (whose name I've now forgotten!) was great. He was so helpful and efficient. There are inexpensive local restaurants around just ask the manager. We liked one place recommended that we ate there most days. There is no breakfast but tea and coffee is unlimited. Towels and linen are provided. Recommend staying here if you are budget conscious.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family