“recent visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #73 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
prague
“recent visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Hi. I have stayed in this hotel many times during the last 2 years and I am amazed at some of the negative reviews this hotel gets. It is a 4 star htl in a good location as a choice of 3 buses will take you to the city centre in only 10 minutes. The staff are as friendly as any I have come across and are always helpful. Re breakfast,yes it does get busy,but any hotel gets busy if all people go in together,also people wont sit on a table where others are sat,which is silly as breakfast is a mixed affair! The breakfast choice is of good quality,with hot and cold food and also 2 drinks machines. The rooms are quite spacious amd there is also a wellness centre which is excellant. Dinner can be a slow affair,but that can happen in all restaurants. In my opinion this a good 4 star upmarket hotel and please try it as you will enjoy it, Dougie.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wixyPrague
Imre K, General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Dear WixyPrague,

thank you very much taking your time to write a review about us. I am really happy that you were satisfied with my staff and with our services.
Regarding the negative comments it is something that on an public site is impossible to avoid, but this is part of this business, we have to live with this and trying to make all our guests happy.
Anyway we are welcome you back and thank you once more.
Imre Kövér General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel Budapest

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

As a regular traveller abroad on business I thought the Lions Garden Hotel Budapest would suffice for a short stay in the city, although it wasnt central enough really. I regret going there!

For supposed 4Star hotel, this place would barely qualify as 3Star!! The Breakfast buffet is poor standard and quality, same each day: the 2 tea/coffee machines churn out disgusting stuff
they label as coffee, anything but. One machine wasnt working one day, and about 60 guests had
to queue at the other machine. When I asked the waitress (there were 2 only all breakfast trying to cope) why they couldnt serve coffee in flasks, she walked away and said she didnt have time to talk!

The fresh fruit was bruised, and composed of apples and oranges, nothing else. Food plates
on buffet were not kept filled. The Hotel runs on minimum staffing levels,cheap food, lacking quality and variety, evrything seems tacky and cheap. The Lunch & Dinner menu isnt much better and is expensive, so I always ate out, much better food,more variety menus.
The Room was reasonable, though laminated bare boards not to my liking, toilet seat needed
some repairs, but rooms would get the best mark from me.
The Receptionists were abrupt and seemingly disinterested in guests asking for any changes or improvements. The Restaurant was open plan, tightly packed, with old furniture well past its sell by date for a 4Star hotel. I actually felt sorry for the staff here, as they cannot win, when
the hotel is busy, they struggle to keep the show on the road. They cannot be excused though for abrupt manners to guests. The management was never seen here, no one seemed to take responsibility for anything. The General Manager should be brought to task for running a hotel in such a poor way, lacking in so many areas, purporting to offer 4Star quality.

They should ask to be redesignated as 3 star. DONT STAY HERE IF QUALITY MATTERS.
I shall never set foot in this awful hotel again! Highly overrated, choose a decent 3Star in the city,
it will not be worse than Lions Garden. How other reviewers can rave about the hotel baffles me!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dafydd O
Imre K, General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 22 May 2013
Dear Dafydd,
I always like to read our guests reviews because most of them are very satisfied with the Hotel and it's services. Negative comments are also useful and helpful because we can learn from them, but sorry to say your comment is far from this because you are criticizing everything. As I saw this is your first time writing comment about hotel even if you are a regular business traveler.
The hotel opened 5 years ago, so hardly can find any old furniture in it. The four star category was updated by Eurostar Union a month ago as it is obligatory in the EU by law .
Sometimes when the hotel is fully booked the restaurant at breakfast time is a bit crowded, and my staff is working on to make everything smooth.
For breakfast we always offer fresh fruits and foods with a wide variety and we fill the plates continuously till the end of breakfast.
I don't understand how you can criticize the lunch and dinner if you "ate always out".
I am on duty ever day and has my office exactly at the entrance, my Front office manager is working also ever weekdays and standing always at the reception, waiting for guests who needs help or assistance, so if you would have had taken your time to share your problems with us during your stay, I am pretty sure we would have found a solution for you.
I am really sorry about you missed this opportunity at the spot and we couldn't make your stay better.
Beside all of this we have got this week from Tripadvisor a "Certificate of Excellence", as it was in 2012 too.
I would be glad if you would give us an other chance to stay with us next time when you are in Hungary, and I am going to take care personally about your stay. In this case or if you have anything to add please get in touch with me directly on the e-mail below
Best regards
Imre Kövér General Manager at Lions Garden Hotel e-mail: info@lions-garden.com
Novi Sad, Serbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

When I'm in Budapest I usually stay at Novotel Centrum but for this time they were full so me and my family found this hotel searching for hotel with the same references as our first choice (Novotel). First thing you notice is difference between hotel that belongs in a chain of hotels and this one that's "single one" I don't know exact things that hotel need to be 4 star rated but in this case they have cool indoor pool, underground garage, nice breakfast, ok menu for dinner, they have my favorite weiss beer and many more but for example they don't have kettle, coffee and tea in room, shower water pressure is very poor, they don't have 24h housekeeping so you can't get an extra pillow once you noticed you need one in the evening when usually people go to sleep, no logic.
Since this was a family trip and we have a little kid (2 years old) hotel's garden is enclosed and is perfect for kids to play without risk of traffic, also cool glass elevators and nice furnished rooms with balcony are nice add that keep kids entertained.
Location is ok, we traveled by car so it was easy but if you don't come by car you can walk to great city park nearby that's next to Heroes square, museum, Andrassy street, and so on and everything on foot but for shopping malls, Danube, bridges, Buda and other great sites you must have transportation.
Staff is friendly, not too much of smiling but full helpfull and that's all you need. We were suprised that cleaning of rooms is on afternoons so we had to leave a room for a while in order to have our room cleaned one day, other day we came back in the evening and didn't have that situation.
Overall it's very good hotel, okay value for money, not better than Novotel Centrum but not in the same price range also cause it's some 20% cheaper and in the same percentage less good, but still very good.

Room Tip: sixth floor rooms have balconies
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

The hotel is situated very well not far from the railwaystation and within walking distance to the a bus stop ( 2 minutes walk). The area is quiet which allows a good sleep quality. Design is stylish and rooms spacious, there is also AC available.
They do have a little courtyard where you can have some drinks and food, which is tasty. Only thing which is not perfect is the breakfast which offers not a lot of choice and no dark bread.
But we have been couple of times there and everything was really fine. Would definitely recommend it!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Imre K, General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Mr. or Mrs,

thank you very much for kind feedback. It is always good to read happy and satisfied comments about our Hotel. Regarding breakfast I am going to discuss it about our chef and I hope at your next visit we can improve ourself.
Please let me know about your future arrival on our public e-mail address (info@lions-garden.com) to put a little surprise into your room.
Welcome you back.
Imre Kövér General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel
Montpellier, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

friendly service in that nice hotel. Good location close to the center and the Arena (bus stop near the hotel). Room clean, comfortable and great breakfast buffet.
If I come back to Budapest, I'll choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Imre K, General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Champa Um,

I am very happy you felt well in our Hotel and you was satisfied with all our services.
I hope we will welcome you back soon.
Imre Kövér General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

Hotel with very friendly service. Located close to the center, which can be reached by bus (bus stop near the hotel). Not far away is the shopping center. Very close is a beautiful old church. Room was clean and in very good condition, with comfortable bed. Breakfast buffet with a large selection of breads, fruits, vegetables etc. Internet in the room could be a little faster.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Athens, Attiki, Greece
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

very nice rooms. the food in the restaurant was satisfying and all the people working there where very helpfull!
The hotel is not close to the river and you have to walk about 45' to get there . But the distance is is to cover because of the big sidewalks.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends