“It was an OK place.”

Lion's Garden Hotel
Ranked #78 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed 3 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. The front desk guy was a bit awkward but did help us out with booking a Hop On Hop Off bus, just didn't seem too friendly.
Bartender looked like he knew what he was doing. We got drinks during happy hour...buy one get one free....great deal. Room was pretty nice. We did get a balcony room which was nice. After our 18 hours of traveling I wanted to take a shower as soon as we got in. The shower was super tiny I could barely turn around in it and to make it worse the drain was not draining so we had to call the front desk, they did fix it but I had to take a shower with water to my ankles which is very unpleasant. I was also unaware that in Europe they don't use washcloths? Ended up using a big towel to wash with. Bring washcloths if you come here.
I did enjoy a little face mirror that was nice to put makeup on with at the desk. The bed was comfortable but pillows very tiny. We should have called front desk to get more but we dealt with what we had.
Breakfast was so-so. I was not experienced with European breakfasts...all they had was meat, cheese some bread and some VERY slimy scrambled eggs and of course some weird sausages made of unknown meat. I made a sandwich which was quite tasty.
I did also enjoy the espresso machine that was available for breakfast.
This hotel is VERY far from town center. We used the hop on hop off bus to take us around during the day but one day we had to walk about 4 miles to get to our food tour which took a long time with all the busy streets. I recommend a different hotel if you want to be near all the town stuff. This is close to Heroe's Square and the Zoo that is about it. There is also no touristy restaurants nearby.
Overall room was very comfortable, very quiet, mostly clean and A/C was adequate.
There was a parking garage underneath it that you pay for daily.

We would recommend it if you want to stay away from the hustle and bustle. We wouldn't stay here again because of distance from city.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2013

The staff is really friendly, I even got a beer upon arrival half hour after the bar closed. The food in the restaurant is pretty good and reasonably priced. Rooms are spacious and clean. Not really the closest to the center of the city, but hero's square is nearby, and access is not bad. Also, it is on a nice quiet street in a good neighborhood. I travel a lot, and overall, this is a very good option in the mid price range. I'm on my second stay for business right now.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Nice hotel, good clean rooms, very nice staff and good breakfast. I would like to see more smile faces from bar staff. Spa included to price and was quite nice. All i really needed was some table and stools to our balcony.

Room Tip: If you want balconyl you just need to ask it when you make the reservation.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

a very good choise in term of location and price/value report. There is a little bit complicate with the internet access, there are allowed only 2 devices/room , for more you have to pay. with password access, but the password do not work properly , you need sometime receptionist to activate it.
But they have great mirrors in the rooms, which makes you feel more slim :))

If is very hot, the air condition at the last floor (5th) is not good enough.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Dear Management!

Our parents spend a few days in your hotel. They had a good experience. Your hotel was very nice in everything. The reception and the waiters staff are friendly and polite excepting the waitress during the berakfast time. They went though a very bad, unacceptable thing. My dad wanted to drink just a juice and he set down the neariest table. He is 80 yers old! One thin waitress who has a short hair started to vociferate, because the table wasnt clean. He just set there a few minutes and he didnt want to disturbance anybody. The waitress was very angry and nervous. My daddy had a shock. In his room he strarted to cry, because he didnt understand, why the ladie disobliget him. I'm also youthful, but I'm respectful. I dont understand how can you employ waitress like her. I hope they will never meet her in a future in Hungary. Regards Conrad

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Imre K, General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

Dear Conrad,

thank you very much for your feedback. I am really glad that your parents had a chance to spend pleasant time in the Lion's Garden Hotel and were satisfied with us. Regarding the affair with the waitress personally myself will take care of and will take the necessary steps.
Thank you once more and I hope we will have a chance to welcome you and your family in our Hotel.
Kind regards
Imre Kövér General Manager at Lion's Garden Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed there for the night in our way to the airport. It is a quiet area, but it's easy to go downtown and we get some hints from the staff ( at the bar , the receptionist was nor nice nor helpful ) so we spend a lovely evening in Budapest. Breakfast was ok, except the fact that were some visible dehydrated cucumbers and some bred far of being fresh. The worst thing is the coffee, so better ask for the real think at the bar ( but you have to pay for it.)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2013

I bring guests in here regularly. Guests always love the hotel; it's style, facilities etc. Inevitably sometimes there are problems but, in my experience, these are normally quickly and satisfactorily sorted. I would and do recommend this hotel highly. A good restaurant and bar within the hotel and a couple of good local restaurants plus excellent and easy access to the centre make this a good hotel to book for a long or short stay in this city.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business