Home Made Hostel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$191
US$197
US$176
US$132
  • Pool
Opera Garden Hotel & Apartments(Budapest)
US$159
US$139
US$147
US$128
NH Budapest City(Budapest)
US$102
US$96
  • Restaurant
La Prima Fashion Hotel(Budapest)
US$138
US$124
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscommon roomfree tea and coffeedouble ensuite roomlocker spacewithin walking distancejewish quarterother guestsmetro linea lovely staybedsprivacybackpackerscurtainsmidnight
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was on the train heading to Zagreb, and got off on the wrong station. I missed my connection, and since there was only one train to Zagreb a day, was stranded in Budapest. I quick logged on to Hostelbookers.com and found Home made Hostel had a bed. As I recall, only one. And I am so glad it happened this way. Within minutes of making the booking, the staff were contacting me and asking if I needed assistance, or if I knew where to go and when I would be arriving. When I arrived, they were so kind, and warm that my then current travel woes were washed away in excitement. The hostel was cozy, and immediately felt like home. The rooms were unique and gave the feel of an apartment. The hostel was in a great location, walking distance from everything. It was an amazing stay, and I would gladly go back. In fact, if I do go to Budapest again, I'm not staying anywhere else!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed at Home Made hostel for 3 days in June 2013, and it quickly became one of the highlights of my trip! The place is clean, yet cozy, and the beds were comfortable. The kitchen is very well-equipped, and they had great computer/wifi access. The location close to Oktagon train station was close to some very good, non-touristy type restaurants, yet within walking distance or a short train ride to all the major sights.

But the highlight of the place has to be the staff! They were all very friendly, and very knowledgeable about Budapest and what to go do and see. Although this is not a "party hostel" by any means, they organized a bar crawl that visited some of the "ruin pubs." It was telling that several staff members who weren't even working that night came along to hang out with us! Clearly these are places where they would go on a normal night with their friends -- after all that's exactly what they were doing :)

Thank you Home Made Hostel for making my Budapest experience so memorable!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Budapest was the start of my 3 week backpacking trip and Home Made Hostel made it very memorable. The location was a bit tricky to find at first, but it's located right on a metro line which was perfect. There's lots of dining options around and the hostel makes great recommendations. Super easy to navigate. The hostel has really cool decor and the staff were so friendly...they even partied with us. I really enjoyed the hostel pub crawl, it was a blast! The people staying in the hostel were from around the world and everyone came together to socialize. So friendly and welcoming. There were lineups for the bathrooms though...I wish there were more bathrooms. The rooms are good and you get a curtain around your bed which adds some privacy. The kitchen is quite small but equipped with what you need. No breakfast here but that was ok given my busy schedule (plus, the food in the surrounding areas was superb). I recommend visiting the baths, Terror museum, going caving (the hostel will book it for you-best money spent in Europe on an adventure tour by far) and taking a free walking tour. I look back on Budapest fondly and thank Home Made Hostel for a wonderful experience. I would definitely come back!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ashton_p521
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I stayed 2 nights in Home Made Hostel in May in the 9 bed dorm. It was comfy, clean and cosy. The staff were really friendly and welcoming and great at helping us to plan and organise things to do, and giving us directions. The hostel is secure as there are two exterior doors which require a security code to enter and secure lockers in the rooms (bring a padlock or pay a small deposit for a key) which are large enough to hold a hand-luggage sized suitcase. The location is great with lots of bars and restaurants nearby. Budapest is a fantastic city and Home Made Hostel is the perfect place from which to explore it.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2013

I am sitting right here at the small dining table at HMH writing this. It has been most intersting and fun. This review will concern the "apartment" ("private ensuite with own bathroom")

I got here, got the key from the staff (the apartment is a stone's throw from the dorm rooms), opened the IRON-GATE like door (makes you feel very safe), and discovered not a room, but a real apartment with hallway, small kitchen, dining table, and another door leading into the bedroom/bathroom. There is an "attic" in the bedroom but it's really storage (they can probably put a mattress in there for extra people). Pictures to come--gotta organize them.

So what you get--
(1) Kitchen is fully equipped with a gas range/oven, toaster, electric (drip) coffe maker, tea and coffee, pots and pans, mugs/plates/glasses/silverware. Spices, no oil but I got it from the hostel side easily. Sink/dish detergent (no dishwasher). No microwave. Yes a big fridge.

(2) Bathroom has a washing machine but doesn't work (laundry can be done at the hostel side for 2000 ft or 7 euros. I find that too high and didn't use the service). There is a big water heater right above you in the bathtub/shower. Nice hot water. NO toiletteries except a bottle of hand soap.

(3) Bedroom has clean linen, towels, wooden floor, tasteful and in-accordance-with-the-hostel's- concept decor (old radio, ancient suitcase on top of shelf), big closets to hang clothes, a small round table and a chair. The 2 lights by the bed are too dark for reading by my stardard. If you are a serious reader bring a booklight. There is a TV but don't think about cable or CNN.

(4) Yes there is wi-fi, but you have to get PRETTY close to the hostel side, meaning you have to sit at the dining table instead of lying in your bed. This didn't bother me since it's comfy sitting here.

What you don't get:
(1) Phone. If someone needs to call you on a landline, they have to call the hostel side (I am sure the staff will be more than happy to get you, provided it's not an ungodly hour)
(2) Blow dryer, but just borrow it from the hostel side.

Experience:
First night, realized the mattress was sinking and the springs could be felt. I explained to the staff I am about 100 lbs so it's the mattress and not me, but very worried if they could do anything. By the time I got back, 2 twin mattresses were lined neatly above the old one. Very happy.
Windows are double--not double paned, but real double windows. You can still hear some noises and sirens (I don't know if it's the alcohol but the police/ambulances seem busy), so bring some earplugs if you are a light sleeper.
There is a 24-hour market right below the room. When you are finally defeated by trying to decipher Hungarian they will help you (I almost bought yeast thinking it's butter).

Finally, everyone has talked about the staff. These young people are very helpful and speak excellent English. My only problem, which is not a problem really, is every morning I get up too early (like 7 AM) and twice had to go to the hostel side (by entering a code) to do something (computer broke down, etc) and the poor kid is still sleeping on the couch. I figured most young people pub crawl until 3 (or 5)AM and are snoozing at this time.

We are at "Octagon" which is a metro station. From here you can take tram, metro, or just walk to the river. It's excellent location.

Just wanted to write a quick one since I'm done with cooking class and sight seeing already, leisurely relaxing here. Will update with pictures later. BTW, I checked out the other private room with shared bathroom, but that's on the hostel side with common entrance, right behind the hostel kitchen, and quite a bit smaller. So, if you are like me, whose son is about the age of pub-crawler, it's definitley worthwhile to pay extra for the space/privacy on this side.

Room Tip: Like I said...if you don't mind paying a little extra, get this private ensuite room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo