“deserves a second star”

Cuisines: Central European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Please note that for lunch we serve our 4-courses- and 6-courses menus. Please note that for dinner we serve our 6-courses- and 8-courses menus. Please be so kind to order the same menu for the entire table. Onyx restaurant is a non-smoking restaurant. We confirm your table reservation within 72 hours. We accept only confirmed reservation. Reservations are taken 90 days to the calendar date. Opening hours: Thursday - Saturday 12 noon - last arrival 1 30 pm. Tuesday - Saturday 6 30 pm. - last arrival 8 30 pm. We are closed on Sundays and Mondays.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had dinner two nights ago. What a great experience. The food, service and ambiance were excellent. The amuse bouche was intriging and all the courses that followed each was better than the one before. I highly recommend this world class restaurant and it would be a shame if you are in Budapest and miss this.
Keep up the great work.

1  Thank marikacostarica
Write a ReviewReviews (1,672)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Worth a visit! We booked a table in advance of our trip. Ordered the tasting menu, and the food was absolutely fantastic! A total of 11 courses (3 was outside the menu, "free"), and the price was 45000 HUF incl 4 glasses of wine and service (a 15% fee). I would definitely go back to this restaurant if I ever visit Budapest again.

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and and I just came back from one of the best meals we've ever had. We travel a lot and seek out fine restaurants around the globe. This was easily on our top 10 list. Pricey but well worth it.
The restaurant was elegant and our meal well paced. Our waiter and sommelier were second to none.
We both had the goose liver appetizer. I had the fawn, asparagus and ginger for my main and my husband had the lamb - we were both impressed. The sommelier recommended a bottle of Hungarian Cabernet Franc that was outstanding.
For a special night out I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

1  Thank Johanna M
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This is a 1 Michelin Star Restaurant in Budapest.

The interior and decor is very modern but formal. I was a bit under dressed from walking around Budapest the whole day before walking in the restaurant. I had a made the booking a week in advanced before my trip. I am glad that the staff in the restaurant were very professional and friendly. The service was impeccable.

I have uploaded the photos of almost every dish in the Hungarian Evolution Menu. It was a tasting menu with 6 courses. I believe you can order a la carte as well. The portion for the tasting menu is decent and I was full full after 6 courses.

The highlight for me is the Free-range "sour" egg, bone marrow, marinated trout. It is easy to tell the presentation of every dish is what you expect from a Michelin star restaurant. Beautiful.

The best dish for me is probably the dessert. 21st century Somlo sponge cake. A traditional Hungarian dessert (Somló sponge cake: sponge dumplings with chocolate sauce, rum and whipped cream). WOW. AMAZING. Not too sweet and texture of the cake together with the sauce and cream..out of this world.

About 10 minutes walk from Chain Bridge. It is actually right beside Café Gerbeaud around the corner.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

my wife and I went to the Onyx restorant in Budapest, it was the best dinner we ever had.
We took the tasting menus and it was excellent .
I recommend it with all my hart !
Be shoore to make a reservation .
Injoy .