“stayed at Hotel Eben for Conference” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gerand Hotel Eben

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Budapest
Gerand Hotel Eben
Ranked #234 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Montreal, Canada
“stayed at Hotel Eben for Conference”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

I recently attended a conference on the Pest side of Budapest, at the top of the M2 line (metro). The hotel was well priced at 35 Euros per night, was very clean, quiet, offered breakfast every morning from 7-10, and for our uses was less than 100 metres from our conference site.

There is plenty of transportation within steps of the hotel, and getting downtown is also easy using either trams, buses, or the Metro. We opted for a 72 hour transportation card, and so we would just hop on and go. Getting downtown from here was about 15 minutes.

Do not confuse this property for some of the bigger names like Hilton, Sheraton, or Ritz carlton. it does not pretend to be any of these. It is functional, clean, and conveniently located if you need a lower priced accommodation.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the busy street with trams which run through the night. If you are a light sl...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Romania - Bucharest
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

I’ve visited many times Budapest and usually I stayed in Buda, on the Gellert hill. This time I used the Gerand Eben hotel because I had some problems to resolv in that area. The hotel is far away from the downtown and the well-know Budapest attractions as Danube, The Parliament, Buda castle, St. Stephen's Basilica, Andrássy Avenue. It is situated close to Ikea and the Arkad shopping center and also, 3 minutes walk to the metro. I had initial a reservation for three nights but I need to stay another 3 nights more. During my 6 days stay I noticed that the hotel is an old socialist style but sure, with some refurbisments and upgrades to our times. It is mainly for groups from Ukraine, but there were also anothers groups of East European countries and even Hungarian employees working in silviculture or hunting branch, all of them dressed in uniforms. Being groups meens sometimes crowd and maybe some tourists don’t like this. No matter I had reservation by booking.com, I sent two days before my arrival an e-mail to the hotel in order to announce my late check-in, but I got no answer. Anyway, arriving late on Sunday evening I had a fast check-in, but when I said to the lady at the reception about my mail, she told me that they don’t answer to the e-mails during the week-end, because are days off !!! It was absolute incredible for me to hear such an answer !!!
For the first 3 nights I received the room number 421, where I had an extremely poor wifi signal and, what a bad surprise - only a few TV channels, all of them in Hungarian, for other channels you have to pay 2 euros per night !!! It is not normal to pay if you want to watch few international TV channels for news, especially when the internet connection is a problem. The hotel offers for free only few Hungarian TV channels. I could park the car for free on the pavement and I had no problems, but if you want to use the closed parking of the hotel, you have to pay 2 euros per night.
For the next three nights I asked and I been moved to the room number 104, with good WIFI signal, but I noticed not so high level of cleaning service on the first floor.
The breakfast was OK, nothing special. The restaurant seems to works mainly for breakfast, but you can eat at the shopping center in the vicinity, where you’ll find a lot of options. The hotel has 3 elevators and polite staff at the reception. As a plus, there is a very nice souvenir shop, close to the reception, with good prices and a very, very friendly lady, but it was open only in the morning time and I had to pay only in cash in Hungarian forints.
In my opinion, for 55-57 Euro/dbl/night (how i paid), Gerand Eben is an overpriced hotel for what offers and is suitable only if you have business in that area of Budapest and no for long stays.

Room Tip: If you need, ask for a room with good WIFI signal, not at the building corners
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
10 Thank CristianBordei

Travellers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Rochdale, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Like many of your reviewers we went to this hotel because it was close to the dental clinic we were using. It is an easy and pleasant 20 minute walk from the clinic and when you want to go further afield it is opposite the tram which takes you into central Budapest. Very convenient and comfortable. The staff were very helpful and friendly, good food and air conditioning system which worked. They had a special menu for the dental patients and will adjust other dishes to make them easier to eat e.g. Hungarian goulash through a blender! Taste better than it sounds. Tasted excellent and just what we needed. It is about five minutes walk from a big shopping arcade which was brilliant for coffees and icecreams as well as anything else you might need. Altogether highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Patricia B
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

This hotel was booked because it was advertised as 1.5 km from my destination and pet friendly. That distance was not accurate; it was about 5 km., making it too far to walk and necessary to rely on taxi service. The hotel clerk called a taxi service and the driver was excellent - very punctual, polite and reasonably priced. The rooms were as other tripadvisor reviews indicated: adequate but rather run down with stains on the bed cover and carpet. Dingy would be a fair description. The bathroom was bright and clean, so that made up for the room. During my 5 day stay, one hotel staff member was really helpful; the others were not at all interested in answering questions or offering advice. The hotel room walls were rather thin; I could hear the man in the room next door snoring. No air conditioning in the room, but the weather did not warrant it and it was possible to open windows for fresh air.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Anonymous007_13
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Hotel was booked for me, so I had little advance expectations. Staff were efficient and helpful, and spoke good English. My room was clean, as was the bathroom. Both were kept that way for the week of my stay. Being high Summer, it was pretty warm!! ( 35-40+C degrees) The air conditioning was adequate to the task. Breakfast buffet (I stayed B&B) had plenty of choice, and could be had in the dining room or terrace.The hotel is on Nagy Lagos Kiraly Utca. Tram and bus stops are opposite the entrance, with just one stop to the nearest metro station. (Ors Vezer tere.) which in turn is just a few stops from Puskas Ferenc Stadium. Or take No.3 tram to Mexicoi Ut, change onto metro and approach city centre from opposite direction. (The entire public transport system is interconnected, efficient, and inexpensive.)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Ukraine, Odessa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2009

The hotel was suggested to us by a traveling agency but we checked it with TravelAdvisor to read what other people have to say about it and we are pleased with the fact that other people testimonials truly resonate with our own experience. All hotel staff was quite polite and helpful, the room was clean and regularly brushed up - all beds were covered nicely and clean crisp towels in a bathroom daily. We truly enjoyed the breakfasts, perfectly enough to 're-charge your batteries' before a long day of walking in the city.

The Hotel is just in 4-5 mins of a slow walking from the metro station (Ors Vezer Tere, the last stop of the line), IKEA store and Arcad store, which has all stuff you may need during your vacation - grocery store, in the end of the underground floor, lots of clothing stores, coffees and restaurants and currency exchange, right as you get in on the right. The best thing about the Arcad mall is that it has underground entrance, next to the entrance to the subway station and so it's really easy to navigate. The store has 3 floors we couldn't manage to explore the 3-d one for 7 day period we stayed in the hotel.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family